Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2014, 08:56 PM   #1

Anyone use propane onan 5500 watt generator and A/C

Just bought a hyperlite hfs30, I added the propane 5500 watt onan genny for those days where i might want to cool down yet there is no power. Trailer has 2 propane tanks and no fuel tanks so that is why I went that way.

Searching I have found people say bring lots of propane. I was wondering if anyone with a similar generator could shed some light on their actual usage while running A/C.

Wondering if I should buy a couple of 100 lbs tanks or would the 2 30 lbs tanks last a weekend?

Trailer should be ready for pickup later in the week with a planned outing right away where I will be without hydro so going to run the generator/ break it in.

Thanks
bowtie_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 05:14 PM   #2

I have the camper in my sig that has two A/C units and 50 amp. I did a test when I first got the camper. It was July 4th and 90* + and wanted to see how much propane the units would use. I ran both A/C units on high for 24.5 hours on 3 -30 pound tanks and used whatever I wanted to in the rig. I did it to break in the genny as well. Maybe this will give you an indication. Yes, it is expensive to use the propane. Do a search on here and on RV.Net and you can find propane usage charts.
2001 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4 7.3L,V/B Spring Mod, ProComps, Hellwig Swaybar, & other 'Necessities'
golfmedik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 05:49 PM   #3

Thx for info, I found this http://www.cumminsonan.com/www/pdf/s...ets/a-1425.pdf which shows useage at no, half and full loads. 4.6 lbs an hour at full load. But always interesting to hear real results.

Currently to run my Terry trailer with old school air conditioning ( just over head console) I use around 6 to 8 gallons for a day with a Yamaha 3000.

Sounds like I should buy a 100 lbs tank or some spare 30's

I did look on rv.net, just see lots so posted q there too.
bowtie_guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
500, generator, propane