Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2018, 12:23 PM   #1

Atwood water heater issue

Heats water OK on initial start up. On re heat the unit goes into fault. The burner lights and ignitor continues to spark for a few seconds until it shuts down. Electric is OK. Looking for any assistance in trouble shooting this. Otherwise a trip to a dealer. Thoughts and ideas appreciated. Roger
RogerWo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 12:45 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerWo View Post
Heats water OK on initial start up. On re heat the unit goes into fault. The burner lights and ignitor continues to spark for a few seconds until it shuts down. Electric is OK. Looking for any assistance in trouble shooting this. Otherwise a trip to a dealer. Thoughts and ideas appreciated. Roger

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...er-132172.html
Firestone Airbag Ride Rite system
paverdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 12:48 PM   #3

Quote:
First...find the flame sensor in the burner tube. Fire up WH and see if flame is touching the flame sensor. System only looks for heat for a few seconds before it will go to fault. If sensor is not getting enough heat, system thinks there is no flame and shuts the gas off.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 03:14 PM   #4

Atwood water heater

It seems to me that the flame sensor would have to be OK or it would not work when the water is being heated from cold. It only seems to go into lock out after the initial burst of hot water has been used and the heater needs to restart to replenish the hot water used.
Old 10-04-2018, 01:57 PM   #5

Atwood Water Heater Problem

Quote:

My husband and I experienced this when on vacation...not fun. We found a super RV repair location in Rapid City, SD. If your water heater was made during a specific period the control panels that were made were defective. If you remove the entire panel, then an RV dealer can check it and make sure it is faulty before you buy a new one and replace it. Atwood makes a replacement and offers a guarantee of 30 days! There is an aftermarket panel that has a guarantee of 2 years. Made me feel Atwood didn't have much faith in their own product. We bought the aftermarket unit and have been pleased. The RV repair shop told us they had replaced over 10 of these panels on Atwood water heaters in less than 1 week. Hope this helps.
king1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 04:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by king1418 View Post
My husband and I experienced this when on vacation...not fun. We found a super RV repair location in Rapid City, SD. If your water heater was made during a specific period the control panels that were made were defective. If you remove the entire panel, then an RV dealer can check it and make sure it is faulty before you buy a new one and replace it. Atwood makes a replacement and offers a guarantee of 30 days! There is an aftermarket panel that has a guarantee of 2 years. Made me feel Atwood didn't have much faith in their own product. We bought the aftermarket unit and have been pleased. The RV repair shop told us they had replaced over 10 of these panels on Atwood water heaters in less than 1 week. Hope this helps.
Very interesting. I will definitely be checking the circuit board out when I get a chance. Sounds to me like Atwood is trying to evade a real issue with these boards, especially when they will only offer a 30 day guarantee on a replacement board. I appreciate your response and hopefully if any other reader's have run into this issue, they will respond. Thanks again, Roger
Old 11-18-2018, 11:20 PM   #7

Water heater

I removed the circuit board and had it tested at RV dealer. Board tested okay. They recommended I replace the ignitor if I have further problems. So far I have replaced the dsl/stat switch's and rerigged and adjusted the propane burner assembly to factory spec's. Unit seems to operate correctly when the heater is used from a cold start, which was as far as I could test it due to weather. If I still have the same problem once I can fully test it, does anyone have an opinion on what I should do next? The recommendation to do the ignitor was based on the fact that it was much less expensive than replacing the circuit board.
Old 11-18-2018, 11:28 PM   #8

My work and play did that from day one. I bought a new control board and it's worked since then. Frustrating for sure that we have to improve on factory "new" it. Blows me away how poorly regulated this industry is. Especially for that these units cost.
Garyvir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 07:14 PM   #9

I'm inclined to agree with replacing the board if the problem continues. It doesn't make any sense to me that the ignitor is the problem since it works fine on initial heat up.
Old 11-20-2018, 08:47 PM   #10

Just replace the board. That's the problem.
Garyvir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 10:20 PM   #11

The board has a bad solder joint . Will make a meter lie to you every time. If you have good eyes and can find the weak solder joint you can fix it. Depends on how much time you have on hand. Look for a small black spot. Then again it depends on how much $$ your time is worth. A new board will save you from aggravation.
Mark S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 10:53 PM   #12
Just as confused as you

A bad solder joint will not always be visible. I have never seen a bad joint with a black spot. There might be a hairline separation between the component and the solder that makes contact when everything is cold and looses continuity when hot. In this case it should separate before the WH reaches set temperature.

The aftermarket board king 1418 mentioned in post #5 is a dinosaur board. They have a great reputation. Ignitor Board Index page
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 08:23 PM   #13

OK Given the fact that I will need to replace the circuit board, it looks like I have two choices at about the same cost. Either the Atwood 91365 or the Dinosaur UIB 64. Looks like the Dinosaur will take a little extra effort since the size and possibly the electrical hook up may be a little different. Would like to know what the opinions are of these two options. Thanks, R.
Old 12-04-2018, 10:26 PM   #14

Hey RogerWo.....Is your trailer under warrant? If so they will replace it and not cost you a dime..I would pull the board out and replace with same...If you fill out your signature it would help us help you...Good luck....
Old 12-04-2018, 10:41 PM   #15

Not under warranty. Just curious if the after market board is a better solution.
Old 12-04-2018, 11:13 PM   #16

Hey......I would go with the best warranty period......Call the aftermarket place with the # on your board and go from there......Good luck and warm showers to ya....LOL
Old 12-05-2018, 09:17 AM   #17
Site Team

The Dinosaur boards have a great reputation, and that's the one I'd suggest.
Old 12-07-2018, 02:17 PM   #18

I ordered the Dinosaur board and probably will not install it until we are in a warmer climate hopefully next month. Once I get it installed, I will update this post. Thanks, R

Tags
heater, water, water heater