Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2014, 02:19 PM   #1

Bad Acme Nut Pigtails

I guess there's a check valve in these thst get stuck. I've had 2 of them go bad on me now out 9 the blue over 7 years. Last night, one of my tanks ran out and they did not swap to the other tank... and it got a bit chilly for May in Georgia (low 40s ).

I though the switch over valve was bad, but went through the process of elimination and found a pig tail was not letting gas through. I picked up another at CW and all is well. 2nd time this has happend.

Is there anything that causes this or can do to stop it from happening? Can the pigtails be fixed when this happens?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Forest River Forums mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1400267920676.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	52555  

State's we've RVed in
Bryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 03:49 PM   #2
Old Enough to Know Better

Unfortunitaly no they are not repairable. You could go back to the POL style pigtails but there are issues with those (tools to change tank)
gasman6674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 04:14 PM   #3

I have my undocumented opinion why they stick.
I had one seem to go bad but the cause was that I opened my propane bottle too fast and forced fluid or gas into the line which jammed or stuck the valve closed.

I would shut off the tank and disconnect the line and see if tapping it would open it back up. Then reinstall and slowly open the tank valve and see if that works.
Can't help in trying it or even tapping the line after disconnected with a handle of a screw driver to see if that help dislodge it from closed..
Good luck
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 08:24 AM   #4

These pigtails are actually a "hose within a hose" so to speak. Brake lines on auto's are built the same way. The inner hose is made to withstand the gas, or brake fluid, and the outer hose is made to withstand the pressure(s) the inner hose deals with. That said--the inner hose of these pigtails will collapse at some opportune time making them useless. My local propane dealer has a display on the counter that he made to show a collapsed inner hose. My dealer also has told me not to open the gas valve on the bottle fast/suddenly. Just crack it open until the system is full then open it as Iggy stated.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 02:19 PM   #5

crap, I have the same problem, I just went and spent $55 on new splitter, thinking the diaphragm was bad from oil or something........ still doin the same thing, one tank goes green, when switched to other tank, turns red in about 3 secs (both tanks are open and just topped off)....... think I have a bad pigtail, not bad splitter....... thanks for the info
gregtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 06:07 PM   #6

put on the new splitter, had the same problem as the old one...... took new splitter back, put on 2 new pigtails with old splitter....... works like a charm and saved me $35... thanx for the info
gregtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 09:07 AM   #7

My 2014 2318G was setting off the CO/Propane alarm when using the heater. Found a gas leak where the pigtail connects to the regulator. Fixed that, and the heater worked w/ no alarm, but left tank started making a "pinging" sound, as if being tapped with a small hammer. I placed my fingers on the pigtail and could feel a very sharp vibration in sync with the pinging sound. I replaced the pigtail and all is working properly now.
smw526 is offline   Reply With Quote