Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2014, 05:31 PM   #1

Buddy Heater Hook Up

Have a Buddy Heater that I would like to hook up to one of the 30# tanks in front. I also have a 12ft hose which I have used in our PUP with the Buddy Heater. We now have a SP189 and before I hook it up to one of the big tanks and run the hose underneath the floor and drill a hole to put it in the trailer, is there anything I am overlooking. I plan on storing the Buddy Heater under the bed until we need it and drilling a hole for the propane line under the bed. I know I will loose the switching between the tanks, but since we do a lot of boondocking, the furnace will eat up the battery quickly. We have used the Buddy Heater extensively in our PUP, but would like to store it full time under the bed and pull it out from under the bed when we need it. Any suggestions or thoughts would be appreciated. When I drill the hole, I plan on filling it with a ton of Dicor to prevent water from getting in.
We are driving a Ford F250 Gasser and pulling a Evergreen G269FK. We also have a Cairn Terrier. 2 Champion Generators. This year, planning on 6 months in our Evergreen visiting, California, Michigan, and Ohio. We live in Florida. Grandkids, and dog are why we camp. Also have a Hensley Hitch which that eliminates all sway. Pricey, but worth it.
Tampajohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 07:15 PM   #2

How about tapping into the stove or furnace propane line with a tee and a shutoff?
cadman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 06:17 AM   #3

Tapping in is a great idea. Now I got to figure out how to do that. Thanks.
We are driving a Ford F250 Gasser and pulling a Evergreen G269FK. We also have a Cairn Terrier. 2 Champion Generators. This year, planning on 6 months in our Evergreen visiting, California, Michigan, and Ohio. We live in Florida. Grandkids, and dog are why we camp. Also have a Hensley Hitch which that eliminates all sway. Pricey, but worth it.
Old 05-17-2014, 07:04 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampajohn View Post
Tapping in is a great idea. Now I got to figure out how to do that. Thanks.
Does your buddy heater have it's own regulator built-in or on the hose? The reason I ask, is if you tap into a line that has already been run thru your propane tanks two stage regulator..............then the pressure will be too low when also ran thru the Buddy Heaters built-in regulator. You'll have very low burner output.

This is the same problem people have, when trying to hook up non-specific RV grills with built-in regulators/flame controls to the low pressure propane lines on a RV.

They have to hook to the propane tanks ahead of the RV regulator(s).

Also 12 foot (like you have) is the max length in a rubber hose you 'should' use, as explained here in this video:

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 01:27 PM   #5

Thanks a million. Yes we have always used it directly from the propane tank along with a filter attached to the Buddy Heater. I did not think of the low pressure when tapping into a line. Guess that will not work. I might just have to carry an extra 20# tank or go back to my original idea of running the 12 ft. line underneath into the storage compartment under the bed. It would not be hooked up to the tank unless we are using the heater. Thanks for the heads up. John.
Old 05-19-2014, 07:09 AM   #6
Old Enough to Know Better

Why dont you just hard pipe it with black pipe or copper tube? Then you would use a short hose at the tank end and another at the heater end. Just be aware you are running HIGH Pressure gas into your living space if it was a stick and brick it would be illegal. Make sure you pressure test/soap test all of your connections every time.
Good luck
gasman6674 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater