Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2019, 09:53 PM   #1
lep

Can’t get the pigtail off the regulator

Crack in hose and need to get the pigtail off the regulator. But no matter which way I turn it won’t com off. Now the nut is stripped. Camping so just have a few tools. Does the pigtail loosen counter clockwise?
lep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 10:56 PM   #2

Counter clockwise is correct. Try to find a good size pair of channel lock pliers.

Gary.
Old 07-13-2019, 05:29 AM   #3

This is one of those situations where a pipe wrench comes in handy.

Bruce
Old 07-13-2019, 11:07 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
This is one of those situations where a pipe wrench comes in handy.

Bruce
Or a vise grip. Sounds like the pigtail is trashed anyway so anything that grips tight.

A caution though. If the OP has tried to turn the fitting the wrong way first, make sure the housing of the regulator hasn't been cracked. The housing is cast metal and can be fractured from tapered NPT fittings being over-tightened.

Be sure and leak test before considering the job done.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 07:56 PM   #5

What is he trying to loosen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Or a vise grip. Sounds like the pigtail is trashed anyway so anything that grips tight.

A caution though. If the OP has tried to turn the fitting the wrong way first, make sure the housing of the regulator hasn't been cracked. The housing is cast metal and can be fractured from tapered NPT fittings being over-tightened.

Be sure and leak test before considering the job done.
The regulator is NPT. The pigtail is inverse-flare. There is a brass adapter with inverse-flare female on one end and male NPT on the other.

The OP should not try to remove the adapter from the regulator. He should use two wrenches; one on the adapter and one on the pigtail. If he positions those carefully, at about a 30 degree difference, he can squeeze the two wrenches together with one hand, backing out the pigtail while putting zero force on the regulator.

Apologies to Bruce (Nomad297) and Gary (GreenZR), but this is one of those jobs where two flare-nut wrenches or two open-end wrenches are much handier than adjustable wrenches or channel-lock pliers.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 08:04 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
The regulator is NPT. The pigtail is inverse-flare. There is a brass adapter with inverse-flare female on one end and male NPT on the other.

The OP should not try to remove the adapter from the regulator. He should use two wrenches; one on the adapter and one on the pigtail. If he positions those carefully, at about a 30 degree difference, he can squeeze the two wrenches together with one hand, backing out the pigtail while putting zero force on the regulator.

Apologies to Bruce (Nomad297) and Gary (GreenZR), but this is one of those jobs where two flare-nut wrenches or two open-end wrenches are much handier than adjustable wrenches or channel-lock pliers.
Agreed, my bad, as I was thinking of taking the line off the tank. Totally spaced out, I didn't read the OP correctly.
Old 07-14-2019, 05:09 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
Larry,

I was only addressing the solution to removing a nut that has been damaged to the point where the correct wrench won’t work/fit anymore. The OP stated he had “stripped” the nut. I don’t think he really stripped it, as in stripping the treads, rather, I took what he said to mean that he rounded-off the points and rendered the outside of the nut incapable of accepting normal methods of removing it.

No?

Bruce
Old 07-14-2019, 07:36 AM   #8

Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
Larry,

I was only addressing the solution to removing a nut that has been damaged to the point where the correct wrench won’t work/fit anymore. The OP stated he had “stripped” the nut. I don’t think he really stripped it, as in stripping the treads, rather, I took what he said to mean that he rounded-off the points and rendered the outside of the nut incapable of accepting normal methods of removing it.

No?

Bruce
Agreed.

I was wondering if he were unnecessarily taking off the adapter which was frozen. Even if it were rounded, he might be able to simply remove the pigtail at the flare and replace it.

An individual posted on this forum about six months ago who was replacing a regulator and discarded the old one with the adapter in it. Then he couldn't figure out why the pigtail wouldn't thread directly into the regulator.

Moral: Never discard old parts until the new ones are working successfully.

Larry
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote