Old 10-11-2013, 08:48 PM   #1

Can't get gas to work

We are completely new to camping. Just bought a new Wildcat. We received a thorough briefing on how to run everything, but my husband and I can't get the stove to light and it doesn't appear that the frig operates on gas when disconnected from electricity. There isn't a gas smell and we don't hear anything when trying to light the stove. The propane tanks' valves are open. We watched the technician light all three burners on the stove. What should we check?
We were hoping to go camping this weekend before we have to winterized but it's 8 pm Friday night and it's not looking good. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Thanks for your help!

Old 10-11-2013, 08:54 PM   #2
Carknocker Family

It may take a few tries to purge the air out. Sure your bottles are open? Did the dealer fill them? One or two bottles? If two, is your tank switch turned to the one you have open? Just a few a suggestions. Good luck and let us know.

2017 Ram 2500
2014 Salem 32BHDS
Ida Ratherbe Camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 08:56 PM   #3
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyJH View Post
We are completely new to camping. Just bought a new Wildcat. We received a thorough briefing on how to run everything, but my husband and I can't get the stove to light and it doesn't appear that the frig operates on gas when disconnected from electricity. There isn't a gas smell and we don't hear anything when trying to light the stove. The propane tanks' valves are open. We watched the technician light all three burners on the stove. What should we check?
We were hoping to go camping this weekend before we have to winterized but it's 8 pm Friday night and it's not looking good. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Thanks for your help!
If the dealer turned them off and you turned them back on, you may have turned them on too quickly. Shut them both off and very slowly turn them back on. There is a safety shutoff that may have activated if you turned them on too fast.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:58 PM   #4

They are both open. I'm sure the dealer said he filled them. Does the green indicator mean there is propane?
Old 10-11-2013, 09:00 PM   #5
Makin' Life Simple

Quote:
We are completely new to camping. Just bought a new Wildcat. We received a thorough briefing on how to run everything, but my husband and I can't get the stove to light and it doesn't appear that the frig operates on gas when disconnected from electricity. There isn't a gas smell and we don't hear anything when trying to light the stove. The propane tanks' valves are open. We watched the technician light all three burners on the stove. What should we check? We were hoping to go camping this weekend before we have to winterized but it's 8 pm Friday night and it's not looking good. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!! Thanks for your help!
Make sure trailer is level both directions. Propane at the fridge is real fussy. I open my valves on the tanks slowly as sometimes there is a safety gadget that comes into play if the pressure is released (i.e.opened) too quickly. There's a couple to try. If it worked at the dealer certainly should work as long as the usual is enforce: tanks have propane, lines are attached, regulator is working, ignition (a match). Good luck.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:00 PM   #6

Old coot: we didn't touch them until we had this problem, but the dealer had left them on.

We will try both of these suggestions! Thanks so much! Will let you know if it works.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:01 PM   #7

It is on a slight incline.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:10 PM   #8
Mod free 5er

Quote:
It is on a slight incline.
Being on an incline should have no effect on the stove, just whether the frig will cool properly. The frig should be level side to side, front to back is not that important.
Old 10-11-2013, 11:25 PM   #9

Have you checked the propne alarm? Our class a has switch that turns off the alarm AND the propane. I think most newr RVs are set up this way. This also requirea working house batteeiea.
Old 10-11-2013, 11:32 PM   #10
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Being on an incline should have no effect on the stove, just whether the frig will cool properly. The frig should be level side to side, front to back is not that important.
Coot meant the FRIDGE level side to side; not the camper.
If the fridge is mounted in the side of the camper, front to back is the critical axis.

Ditto on cracking the valves slowly; the first 1/4 turn is the most critical.
You may need to do this several times to fill the lines and purge them.

Green means there is pressure in the regulator with the tank the selector is pointing at open. Turning on the range or heater can make it go red if the valve in the tank's pigtail connection is stuck closed.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas