Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-22-2017, 10:26 PM   #1

Cheap Heat System

We read some on this forum from 2011 about the Cheap Heat System, mostly in a negative vein. We are considering adding the cheap heat. Our RV did not come with heat pumps and the dealer states heat strips cannot be added to our AC. Propane now costs much more than it did 6 years ago. It certainly helps us have a smaller footprint for the environment.

We have a fireplace and three space heaters. I am tired of tripping over cords. We have family here so we can't run south for the winter.

Has anyone added the Cheap Heat system and has it worked out like you expected?
Freebirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 11:00 PM   #2
Always Learning

I don’t have it but I’d happily install it IF I knew I was keeping this rig. I’ve been threatening to sell it for a couple of years now and can’t bring myself to spend the $1,500 on the Cheap Heat system.

The few reviews from actual users are all positive. Most of the negative are folks who won’t install it for their reasons.
Old 12-22-2017, 11:55 PM   #3

I can buy a LOT of propane for $1500.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 12:09 AM   #4

If I was really that worried about my carbon footprint, I would definitely find another hobby other than RVing
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 12:50 AM   #5
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
I can buy a LOT of propane for $1500.

Depends on your use- we tend to go through a tank every 3 days with moderately cold weather (40 degree days, 30 degrees nights).

Space heaters are a hassle to have sitting around (and remotely a fire danger).

Between the cost savings and convenience factor- I can see the benefit.

But, I do assume the OP specifically wants to hear from folks who have the system vs those of us who don’t. I guess I derailed this one pretty quick.
Old 12-23-2017, 01:52 AM   #6

Just curious. What is the Cheap Heat System you are referring to?
SlfMdeFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 01:54 AM   #7
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Allen View Post
Just curious. What is the Cheap Heat System you are referring to?

http://www.rvcomfortsystems.com
Old 12-23-2017, 01:56 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post

Thanks. Interesting
SlfMdeFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 07:30 AM   #9

Looks like it would be more effective to toss the reverse cycle rooftop and install one with a resistance unit.

Not as elegant in slightly cold weather (40F+) but better in real cold plugged in at a campsite.

Our campground solution is high quality ceramic heaters , tip over protected that switch from 500W to 1300W as the temp changes.

HEAVY! but only 8 or so inches square , so no big deal to live with.
FFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 08:02 AM   #10

I worry about the cost. The up front price is high and they state that you have to be a professional RV technician to buy a unit...and that the installation can be done is something like 8 hours. Looking at it I wonder if the clearance is there and there is a reasonable amount of electrical work to do, especially for the 30/50 amp unit.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 10:19 AM   #11

I think it's a great idea, IF it came from the factory. But it's an expensive add-on for a benefit that can attained by much cheaper methods. You have to be at electric hookups to use this, so our electric fireplace and one ceramic space heater work fantastic for us.

But in the future I will be watching for this as a factory option!
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 11:17 AM   #12

I agree with the others, on top of that you still lose quite a bit of heat through the ducting in the underbelly that only needs to be slightly above freezing to keep the plumbing open.
I think the better option would be an electric space heater like this one in the picture that I mounted to the top of the kitchen slide, it is on a dedicated 20 Amp breaker outside separate from the RV electrical system.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171223_083147.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	184.1 KB
ID:	158868  
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 05:59 PM   #13

"Cypressloser": My first thought upon seeing your photo was "how hot does the ceiling get when this heater is running"?
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 06:54 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman View Post
"Cypressloser": My first thought upon seeing your photo was "how hot does the ceiling get when this heater is running"?
I built a mounting bracket from slotted angle for the heater to increase the distance to the wall and ceiling and to get a solid anchor point , the temperature on the wall measures 78 F and 86 F on the warmest part of the ceiling on High - much cooler than the heat from the gas furnace.

P.s.: The quoted power draw is 12.5 Amp.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 07:43 PM   #15

This would be a nice option for less than $1,000. I have this and it keeps my 42' fifth wheel 72 degrees with outside temps down to freezing. Haven't had any temps lower than that yet.

https://pantherrvproducts.com/dometi...RoC5XsQAvD_BwE
Old 12-23-2017, 09:17 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebirds2831 View Post
We read some on this forum from 2011 about the Cheap Heat System, mostly in a negative vein. We are considering adding the cheap heat. Our RV did not come with heat pumps and the dealer states heat strips cannot be added to our AC. Propane now costs much more than it did 6 years ago. It certainly helps us have a smaller footprint for the environment.

We have a fireplace and three space heaters. I am tired of tripping over cords. We have family here so we can't run south for the winter.

Has anyone added the Cheap Heat system and has it worked out like you expected?

I have heard less than all positive feedback on the strips for the a/c system. I would get the model number and check myself to see if add on strips are available. The two I have had were available. Be advised...you will only get about 1500 watts of heat from the strips.

Here are 2...

https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Condi.../dp/B00JRKOADW

https://www.amazon.com/Dometic-31051.../dp/B004MYH4WM
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 09:29 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
I have heard less than all positive feedback on the strips for the a/c system. I would get the model number and check myself to see if add on strips are available. The two I have had were available. Be advised...you will only get about 1500 watts of heat from the strips.

Here are 2...

Well we installed our strip and are extremely happy we did. I don't know why others are not happy, the majority of the issues I have read here is most people think the tiny heat strip will magically heat the whole trailer. Unfortunately they were either misinformed or just didn't know. The strip helps heat and circulate air. It is very small and does get hot but with all the roof duct work and thermal losses it can't make HOT air just warm. It's just what everyone says ... A chill chaser. So if you use it in conjunction with another heat source, it is great.

We have camped for more than 2 days in the teens outside with the heat strip, factory fireplace, and our own oil radiant heater and it held 72 degrees and they did shut off several times as they reached the set temp. This allowed us to not use propane and cut down the moisture... However we found that we still had to do an air exchange every morning to remove the moisture we created by breathing.

The cheap heat has it's place and so does the heat strip.
Old 12-24-2017, 09:55 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibullsAN View Post
Well we installed our strip and are extremely happy we did. I don't know why others are not happy, the majority of the issues I have read here is most people think the tiny heat strip will magically heat the whole trailer. Unfortunately they were either misinformed or just didn't know. The strip helps heat and circulate air. It is very small and does get hot but with all the roof duct work and thermal losses it can't make HOT air just warm. It's just what everyone says ... A chill chaser. So if you use it in conjunction with another heat source, it is great.

We have camped for more than 2 days in the teens outside with the heat strip, factory fireplace, and our own oil radiant heater and it held 72 degrees and they did shut off several times as they reached the set temp. This allowed us to not use propane and cut down the moisture... However we found that we still had to do an air exchange every morning to remove the moisture we created by breathing.

The cheap heat has it's place and so does the heat strip.
If you believe your furnace is adding moisture, you are mistaken. Somehow this idea seems to have become an urban legend.

While burning propane does create water vapor, it is on the same side of the furnace as all of the other combustion products, which are all vented out the side of your TT. If you are getting moisture from your furnace, then you are also getting all the other combustion products, which is a VERY dangerous condition (a crack in the heat exchanger), and the reason you have a CO detector.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 04:35 PM   #19
Who Dares, Wins

I would. Think all the moisture is coming from the fact that you have the trailer buttoned up tight and as you breath you turn the trailer into a little sauna.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 11:11 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post

Here are 2...

We have had both heat strips and a heat pump in the past. We preferred the heat strips as they will continue to heat no matter how low the outside temperature. The heat pump switches to furnace at 40 degrees. I will get our ACs' model numbers (we have three 15,000) and check myself to see if our dealer has told us correctly.

We are aware the heat strips just act as another space heater but they do come in handy (and cost a lot less than "Cheap Heat".
Freebirds is offline   Reply With Quote