Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2011, 08:49 PM   #1

CO/Propane detector issues

This is the third RV that we have had over the last 13 years that has had the detector go off during the night. On all 3 units there were no problems with propane leaks and we had no propane items on during these alerts. The propane systems checked out ok on all 3 units. This post is in no way ment to advise anyone to ignore these alerts when they happen. An alert should always be treated as a potential problem and follow the mfg's instructions for safety purpose's. Having said this, these are my observations. The detector will go off if you use the following; hair spray-finger nail polish or remover- gas lighter's for the oven that are kept inside the RV. Probably there are others, but the one that is seldom mentioned is methane gas. This can occur from kitchen waste in the trash can over night, and for a lack of a better term, ( human or pet gassing). This post is ment to inform and to get other comments so that others may learn from and again is in no way ment for anyone to ignore the alert from their detector if it sounds off. As to last night's alert, propane system checked out ok, none or the other items was used so the latter must be considered as the cause. Note; all of these detectors were less than 2 years old when they went off. Reset and they worked fine. Comment's appreciated, Tom-s
Tom-s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 09:15 PM   #2
Site Team - Lou

Another shameless plug for putting your Tow vehicle and camper year and model in your signature.

What kind of camper do you have?
What model propane detector?
Are you SURE it was the propane detector?

Note: They DO NOT detect CO!
CO is lighter than air and propane is heavier than air.
The CO detector is on the ceiling and the propane detector is near the floor.

SMOKE and CO detectors are on the ceiling and have batteries that MUST be changed every year.

The propane detector is on the floor (mine is under the fridge) and are hard wired to the RV's battery.
Carbon Monoxide Detectors
Attached Files
File Type: docx Propane 101.docx (40.8 KB, 106 views)
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 10:25 PM   #3

How is it, Lou, that you GET IT, and so may others dont????

2022 Coachmen Leprechaun 319MB
2022 Ford Ranger toad
Fire Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:28 PM   #4

Sorry Lou but the detector I have (installed by FR) on my 2011 Shamrock 19 is a COMBO model: it detects Carbon Monoxyde AND Propane. It is made by MTI Industries. It is right below the fridge.

http://www.mtiindustries.com/re6.htm

I have a smoke detector on the ceiling as well.

I had it just replaced for the 2nd time, under warranty (thanks to my 2nd year warranty). 1st time it made a buzzing noise, this time it stopped working, no light, no noise, nada...
Old 11-16-2011, 11:52 PM   #5
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatared View Post
Sorry Lou but the detector I have (installed by FR) on my 2011 Shamrock 19 is a COMBO model: it detects Carbon Monoxyde AND Propane. It is made by MTI Industries. It is right below the fridge.

Dual Propane/LP & Carbon Monoxide Alarms

I have a smoke detector on the ceiling as well.

I had it just replaced for the 2nd time, under warranty (thanks to my 2nd year warranty). 1st time it made a buzzing noise, this time it stopped working, no light, no noise, nada...
I stand corrected. This is the dumbest combo unit I have ever head of, but what do I know. What good is a CO detector mounted on the FLOOR?
You would be well and truly dead by the time the alarm went off.

CO and other toxic gasses from combustion (and pre-combustion) form at the ceiling first and then move down. That is why you are supposed to ROLL out of bed if you hear either a smoke alarm or CO detector going off. Then crawl to the door. Raise your arm up to the lock and open the door from as low as you can and exit. If you stand and get a lung full you will drop like a rock and it is "lights out." Sayonara...

Fire Instructor, you can chime in here as well.

Oh, and the CO detector in my Flagstaff is on the ceiling between the kitchen and the L/R, and the smoke is in the bedroom. I added another smoke detector on the ceiling in the L/R because we occasionally have visitors sleeping there. The CO detector detects ONLY CO and not ionized smoke particles.

I also noted that my CO detector has a note in the manual about false alarms due to out gassing of glues used in the RV and can do so up to several months after manufacture. They say to reset the detector and air out the camper if it does.
Old 11-26-2011, 12:51 PM   #6

This was to be our 4th trip out since owning our 2011 Forester 3011. On the day before our trip, the propane alarm kept going off every 5-10 minutes. We trouble shooted everything and checked any connectors for leaks. We never smelled any propane. I finally called the FR Emergency Roadside Assistance and was advised to shut off all propane and take it in for service. Since it was Thanksgiving weekend, nothing was open in our area so our trip got cancelled. Back to the dealer it goes for the 3rd time!
Hmnbrdlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 11:55 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
Another shameless plug for putting your Tow vehicle and camper year and model in your signature.

What kind of camper do you have?
What model propane detector?
Are you SURE it was the propane detector?

Note: They DO NOT detect CO!
CO is lighter than air and propane is heavier than air.
The CO detector is on the ceiling and the propane detector is near the floor.

SMOKE and CO detectors are on the ceiling and have batteries that MUST be changed every year.

The propane detector is on the floor (mine is under the fridge) and are hard wired to the RV's battery.
Carbon Monoxide Detectors

I believe you need to double check your facts in this post. CO detectors are along the floor. In houses and RVs. House CO detectors usually plug into a low electrical outlet a certain distance from the furnace.

I own a Berkshire and our propane and CO detector are one in the same and it is on the bottom of the wall in the middle of our coach. It also goes off periodically when nothing is on. Which is what brought me to this forum.

Please be certain what you post is factual. Someone searching for answers to a problem could be lead astray.
me1i55a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 12:24 PM   #8

Also, the propane (and I assume propane / CO combo units) are excellent low voltage detectors. They will start sounding-off when the voltage gets down below 12V.

Bob
2013 Rockwood HW296
w4drr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 12:47 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by me1i55a View Post
I believe you need to double check your facts in this post. CO detectors are along the floor. In houses and RVs. House CO detectors usually plug into a low electrical outlet a certain distance from the furnace.

I own a Berkshire and our propane and CO detector are one in the same and it is on the bottom of the wall in the middle of our coach. It also goes off periodically when nothing is on. Which is what brought me to this forum.

Please be certain what you post is factual. Someone searching for answers to a problem could be lead astray.
Welcome to the forum from mid California

Placement depends on the manufacturer, model etc. I did a search and this best explains it. Since CO and air are about the same weight and the more common source in TT's and MH's is a heater the CO will rise to the sealing with the hot air. The following is from an article I read:

CO detector placement

Carbon monoxide is a leading cause of poisoning deaths and poisoning related injury. Proper CO detector placement is essential to the proper functioning of the detector.

"Do's" for CO detector placement:
•Place detectors in or near sleeping areas - where the sound of an alarm will easily wake people up.
•Place detectors on each level of a residence.
•Place detectors as per manufacturer instructions.
•Carbon monoxide is roughly the same weight as air and over time distributes throughout a room. A detector can be placed at any height in any acceptable location as long as the alarm can be heard.
•For added protection, place a carbon monoxide detector 10 to 15 feet (3 to 5 meters) from the furnace and other fuel burning heat sources.

"Do nots" for CO detector placement:

To avoid damage to the detector and to reduce false alarms, do not place CO detectors:
•in unheated basements, attics or garages
•in areas of high humidity (bathrooms, showers, laundry areas)
•where they will be exposed to chemical solvents or cleaners, including hair spray, deodorant sprays, etc.
•near vents, flues or chimneys
•within 6 feet (2 meters) of heating and cooking appliances (they may give off a small volume of carbon monoxide when starting up which can trigger false alarms)
•near forced- or unforced-air ventilation openings
•within 6 feet (2 meters) of corners or areas where natural air circulation is low
•where they can be bumped and damaged
•where directly exposed to weather.
2000 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager M-8357 MH, Ford Trident V10 Gasser, 35 foot.
Batts-toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 03:30 PM   #10
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by me1i55a View Post

This post is 2 and a half years old.
I have learned a lot since then.

(Like there is a detector on the market that combines these two critical functions.)

I assume you have also.

To be fair, my camper does not have the CO/Propane integrated detector.
The CO detector is on the ceiling, the propane one is near the floor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_monoxide_detector

CO detectors can be placed high or low because CO "dissolves" in air and is dispersed through out the volume (the lighter than air was incorrect as you noted). Propane detectors can only be placed low since propane is heavier than air as I stated.)
Old 07-26-2015, 07:31 AM   #11

We also have this issue in our Shamrock as well. It has always gone off in the middle of the night when we have our propane shut off. I've found that a good vacuuming of the sensor hole will shut it up for a few months.
nomagination is offline   Reply With Quote