Old 07-17-2016, 08:03 PM   #1

Angry CO/Propane Gas Alarm

Hello!

We have a 2017 Shasta Revere and we haven't used it in two weeks. I went inside it yesterday and the battery was dead so we plugged up the power cord, and about 15 mins after doing so the CO/Propane Gas Alarm started going off giving 4 beeps and going silent for 5 secs and then repeating so we immediately shut off the gas supply and disconnected the camper battery and opened doors and windows to let it air out. We allowed it to air out for over 12 hours and then reconnected the battery. The indicator light immediately turned green as if it were fine and then within 15 mins was red and alarming again. So here is where we are confused. At this point we've disconnected the battery again and left only the power supply cord hooked up and the light is solid green again and is no longer alarming. The battery indicator on the panel inside the camper says that the battery is fully charged, but WHY is it still alarming when the battery is connected? My question is does that mean that the camper battery is actually low? And if so, why is the indicator on the panel saying it's fully charged??

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Old 07-17-2016, 08:16 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kris571 View Post
Hello!

We have a 2017 Shasta Revere and we haven't used it in two weeks. I went inside it yesterday and the battery was dead so we plugged up the power cord, and about 15 mins after doing so the CO/Propane Gas Alarm started going off giving 4 beeps and going silent for 5 secs and then repeating so we immediately shut off the gas supply and disconnected the camper battery and opened doors and windows to let it air out. We allowed it to air out for over 12 hours and then reconnected the battery. The indicator light immediately turned green as if it were fine and then within 15 mins was red and alarming again. So here is where we are confused. At this point we've disconnected the battery again and left only the power supply cord hooked up and the light is solid green again and is no longer alarming. The battery indicator on the panel inside the camper says that the battery is fully charged, but WHY is it still alarming when the battery is connected? My question is does that mean that the camper battery is actually low? And if so, why is the indicator on the panel saying it's fully charged??

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!!
If you are hooked to shore power (120 volt AC) and try to use the battery gauge on the panel, it is not giving you the status of the battery since the converter is sending a charge to the battery. Disconnect the shore power , then check again

Hypochondria is the only illness I don't have.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 08:50 PM   #3

We just tried that, and it's still saying that it has full charge. But I honestly don't see how it can because it was completely dead yesterday, which is why we thought the battery was the problem.
Old 07-17-2016, 09:03 PM   #4

I found an obscure section of my manual that the 12 volt propane alarm would not function below 8 volt but would warn me by alarming if it got too low. In your situation I would check actual voltage at battery while it is disconnected, use a volt meter if you have one or buy one. You will use it. Charge battery if needed with a charger then check connection at battery and reconnect 12 volt battery.
You can't be too careful, I still like the old 9 volt battery types as they are not dependent on 12volt system.
Old 07-17-2016, 09:16 PM   #5

Kind of what we were thinking we should do. Our owners manual isn't very detailed at all on this situation, and we're new to the camping world! Thanks for the info.
Old 07-17-2016, 09:36 PM   #6

Hope it helps. The deep cycle batteries need to be charged before installation sometimes and the battery connections are frequent cause of loss of power. My 12 volt propane detector went off on last trip for no apparent reason, only then did I find it gave an "end of life signal" and it's time had come. Always at night.

The hand held volt-ohm meter will be invaluable addition to your camper for about $20 Enjoy your new camper.
Old 07-17-2016, 09:44 PM   #7
Site Team

Another possibility. In the process of disconnecting or reconnecting the battery, you caused a short that blew the reverse polarity fuses in the converter> The battery will not charge but the battery panel may be connected such that is is seeing the charge on the output of the converter. The battery may actually be low. The CO/Propane detector is usually connected directly to the battery so it will always be on. Check the two 30-40A fused in your distribution panel.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 65W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 09:37 AM   #8

We noticed there were two 40 amp fuses that were not marked, and we were wandering if one of those was for the detector.
Old 07-18-2016, 09:47 AM   #9
Site Team

Those two 40A fuses are to protect the converter should you short or reverse connect the battery terminals. They isolate the battery from the converter so the battery will not charge, but the battery gauge may still show full charge when converter is on. The CO/propane detector is most likely connected directly to the battery (inline fuse) so it is always on. If one of the fuses is blown, the battery will not charge, the detector will draw it down to cause an alarm. Disconnecting the battery, will allow the voltage to come up a little and when reconnected, it may power the detector for a short period of time then alarm again.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 65W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 10:56 AM   #10

That is exactly what seems to be happening. Each time we have reconnected the battery the detector indicator light goes to green as if it's working fine, and within 10-15 mins it goes red and starts alarming again. The service guy at the dealership where we purchased suggested that we have the battery tested to see if it's a bad battery. If the battery tests fine, should we consider replacing the fuse? We've only had this camper for two months.

Tags
gas, propane