Old 04-10-2016, 12:50 PM   #1

colt pilot light won't light

Hi. Please forgive me if this post is answered somewhere that I could not find.

I've a 2003 palomino colt, just bought used. Can't get pilot light to light, to then light furnace and fridge. Here's what I've tried.

Did hook the line to the propane stove, and the stove lights and let it burn for 5 minutes or so. Nice blue flame.

Did try lighting the pilot light, best I could, with a 'flicker' lighter and also tried to heat that area a little bit. No luck. When I try it with the red starter button, sometime I get a 'pop' but nothing beyond that.

I'm wondering if the gas line is blocked.. and needs to be cleaned. Looks like there is some kind of base plate that can be removed that I'm hoping with give me access.

Also wondering if the thermostat itself has anything to do with it. The thermostat has a plastic switch which seems to be stuck in the 'off' position' .. scared to force it or it may break.. Does this thermostat 'off' switch have to be on for that pilot light to function, and eventually for the furnace to function. Thanks any suggestions appreciated.
Glen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	controls1.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	294.7 KB
ID:	104473   Click image for larger version

Name:	coltpicture.png
Views:	58
Size:	887.0 KB
ID:	104474   Click image for larger version

Name:	thermostat1.png
Views:	63
Size:	1,023.6 KB
ID:	104475  

Old 04-10-2016, 01:31 PM   #2

Turn on the 12v switch (be sure battery is charged), press down on the "Thermostat" knob then try turning it (yes it needs to be on).

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 230 AH Battery Bank - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting - Boon Docking 99% of the time.
2009 F150 - 5.4 Litre - Tow Package
boondocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 08:04 PM   #3

fixed... interesting problems-electrical

Hi. Well thanks for that. Took off the thermostat cover and low and behold a broken wire. So fixed that, and the furnace systems is working perfectly.

Must have it's own pilot light... the fridge one I was trying to light still didn't work, and I discovered... no 120 volt electricity is working. bit of troubleshooting, and somehow figured out how to open the front cover of the power converter. I'm no electrician but what the heck.

So, I see a 15 amp fuse is 'missing'. This one appears to connect to the carbon monoxide alarm system, which probably hints you to other electrical problems as a safety, i'm guessing. Then I notice a curious rattle, a loose screw, and with flashlight can see wire sticking out loose below the 15 amp circuit breaker. So I unplug everything.. low and behold that circuit breaker pulls out without much trouble.

I'm not sure where it all began but long story short, I bought a 15 amp auto fuse that looked the same from canadian tire, put in in, and put the two wires together in the hole in the bottom of the breaker where I thought they came from, and bob's your uncle the 120 volt system works.

Now, the fridge pilot system is working perfectly.. even though it's propane and independent of the electrical system I'm not sure why it would make a difference, but it's working. So yay it's working.

But what a jackass sells me this trailer, tells me everything is working, and has enough on the ball to actually disconnect the fuse to the electrical warning alarm.

Anyway without your help I would never have gotten anywhere.. I let you know if the fix holds. Super nice trailer when everything works I must say.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	breaker.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	369.2 KB
ID:	104521   Click image for larger version

Name:	fuse.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	333.6 KB
ID:	104522  
Old 04-10-2016, 08:26 PM   #4

Good to hear you got it working.
Maybe the CO detector fuse was removed because it wouldn't shut up. If the CO detector starts beaking off without the furnace or fridge running it will need to be replaced.They have a finite life span. If it doesn't act up then check to make sure it is working properly. Dispensing a bit of butane from a cheap Bic lighter beside the CO detector will cause it to sound off.

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 230 AH Battery Bank - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting - Boon Docking 99% of the time.
Old 04-16-2016, 07:43 PM   #5

No fridge clipped wire

Fridge pilot lights but motor won't engage. I also discovered a clipped white wire coming out of a 20 amp fuse. I think that's the problem. Veondering where that wire shod connect to
Old 04-17-2016, 12:26 PM   #6

If you are speaking about the fridge, it does not have a motor. It is an absorption fridge and works using heat. It will take many hours to initially cool down once you start it.
Sorry, can't help with the clipped white.

2007 Surveyor SV230
Old 04-25-2016, 11:11 AM   #7

I'm pretty sure there is no pilot light on the fridge, especially after looking at the photos. It's a 3 way fridge that runs on propane or 12V or 120V.

When on propane, no electricity is needed. You start the fridge manually. You push the red ignition button while holding the gas switch down. The fridge setting dial should be at max cool when lighting the fridge. Very much like lighting your BBQ but flame on the fridge is very small. After flame is stable you can release the gas switch - may take 10-20 seconds. Then adjust flame and cooling with the dial.

Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122 a-frame
2000 Coleman Westlake Pup

Tags
light, pilot light