Old 01-13-2012, 05:40 PM   #11
Condensation on windows

I believe, there is often excess humidity in a trailer. It then becomes condensation on the coldest area of a wall, which is normally the windows. The warmer the air, the more moisture it will retain, so when air in your trailer comes in contact with the colder glass surface, it is subsequently cooled and moisture is released in the form of condensation on the glass and on the inside sill. That is one of the reasons for storm windows. It slows the moisture release because of the ambient air being heated slower. Were you to get double paned windows, much of the condensation on the inner window would be slowed.

The air in your trailer will always be fairly high in humidity due to your and your animals breathing relases moisture into the air. The answer could be what they call high E windows. I believe this would be cost prohibitive for most trailer owners. Your propane stove and oven also release moisture into the air. I think the heater works like a home gas furnace and gives you some drying effect in your trailer.

Our answer is a dehumidifier. It made the problem smaller but still need to turn on the fan in the morning and wipe down the windows and sills. We are camping in Idaho right now so we see temps from 10 degrees to -10 degrees at night. We just put up with it and wipe windows as well as run the dehumidifier all the time. The fan comes on in the morning and runs until we go to bed, the next morning the wiping and fan starts all over until bedtime. I really believe the double paned windows might be the answer but that would cut into our money we have for camping. The 70% solution is our answer for now.

Hob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 07:23 PM   #12
Use a dehumidifier and do not forget to open the doors the the cupboards.

Terry and Janet
2008 3001W Windjammer
2007 Ford F150
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 08:32 AM   #13
Originally Posted by brw549 View Post
It has nothing to do with the furnace. Its due to hot or warm air on one side of the window and cold air on the other side. Same thing happens when you breath on a mirror...
Yeah, I know that. Was not focusing on the condensation
issue. We all know what happens when warm air hits a
cold surface.

What I was seeing is that some folks on this and other RV
sites seem to believe is that the furnace is responsible for
the moisture in the first place. That doesn't make sense
to me as the furnace, fridge, and cold water heater all
vent to the outside.

This n00b is beginning to believe that that is just
another Urbane Myth.
No, wait. Make that a Campground Myth!

2001 Cherokee CKT27X - 2005 Chev 3500
Sara, John & Crafty Canines - Coco and Cole
Medical research shows that men have a "biological clock" too. The older we get, the greater the NEED to drive a TRUCK!
dnaraG_1M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 02:00 PM   #14
I enjoy the low hummm noise of the fan so it doesn't bother us. I just gotta say I love this forum! So much info it's amazing!!
Vols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 03:49 PM   #15
If you go with double pane windows you might find the walls sweating a lot more.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 10:48 AM   #16
Major Condensation problem

The new 2011 Windjammer FK is one of the worst units i have owned for Condensation... we even have the so called thermal windows. We live in Las Vegas (which is not warm all the time) full timing it for 3mos soon we will go to CA. I have full timed it in other RVs before and never had it this bad. I have to remove the cloths out of the closet because of walls being wet. We have a dehumidifier, crack vents windows, still not much better, looking to line the inside closet walls with something not sure what to use, even leaving the doors open does not help. Other wise this is a great trailer. Can anyone help?

trudif is offline   Reply With Quote