Old 08-12-2018, 10:05 AM   #1
Herschel

Do you crack open windows when cooking?

We are into our 8th year of RVing. 29 states on our camping map. We bought our 2008 TT used in 2010. The previous owner taught us to crack the window near the stove while cooking to add "ventilation". Sounded reasonable, so we have until recently. Decided the range hood ventilation fan external exhaust vent was essentially the same thing as a cracked window with a cracked open roof vent nearby for an "intake". Our Suburban manual does not mention ventilation at all in the safety section. Our "The RV-er's Bible" by Baker and Baker (1997) does instruct the RV-er to crack open a window when heating and cooking. I quote page 264: "Ventilation saves live. Crack the windows open a bit when heating the RV with propane or solid fuel or preparing meals."
What are other folks doing while cooking? What do you recommend?

Puma26RLSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 10:16 AM   #2

We always crack the window too. The vent hood fan draws the fresh air in and exhausts out the fumes quicker imo..

Wannabe123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 10:24 AM   #3

If the range hood doesn't blow outside and just recirculates in your face, don't bother turning it on.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 10:35 AM   #4
Not yer usual camper

We crack the window and turn on the vent hood (make sure the cover outside is unlatched so it can free swing, otherwise, yep, it just blows into your face inside the TT). It should be latched for travel.
2012 Jayco X23B Hybrid
2009 R-Vision C243S Hybrid
2006 Coleman Bayside PUP
HappyCamper1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 11:14 AM   #5

Cracking a window near the stove is more efficient than relying on roof vents for "intake" air. Heat rises. Open a window and a roof vent, normal convection currents will exchange air. Open a window and use the range hood (with outside "flap" free) and fresh air comes in with hot air being exhausted in a short distance. Real important when using AC.

If I don't keep a window open near the stove, with range hood fan on, my smoke detector reminds me in short order. Especially if using the oven.
Cheap detectors (what else would you expect from the factory) are ionization types and give false alarms from just hot metal of the oven. Keep forgetting to change it for an upgraded model.

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan

"2004" Male Shih-Tsu Co-Pilot
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 11:50 AM   #6

We don't have a vent hood.

So we crack a window, turn on the roof vent.... and occasionally remove the smoke detector battery if we're cooking something smokey (immediately put the battery back in when done cooking). The roof vent takes out the smoke or water vapor and cooking smells.

2015 Dynamax REV 24TB class C
2nd rig 2006 Toyota Tundra &
2010 Cikira 21RB 19' travel trailer
Reverse_snowbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 12:21 PM   #7

Two reasons:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma26RLSS View Post
We are into our 8th year of RVing. 29 states on our camping map. We bought our 2008 TT used in 2010. The previous owner taught us to crack the window near the stove while cooking to add "ventilation". Sounded reasonable, so we have until recently. Decided the range hood ventilation fan external exhaust vent was essentially the same thing as a cracked window with a cracked open roof vent nearby for an "intake". Our Suburban manual does not mention ventilation at all in the safety section. Our "The RV-er's Bible" by Baker and Baker (1997) does instruct the RV-er to crack open a window when heating and cooking. I quote page 264: "Ventilation saves live. Crack the windows open a bit when heating the RV with propane or solid fuel or preparing meals."
What are other folks doing while cooking? What do you recommend?
The carbon monoxide and carbon dioxide that are produced from a a few minutes with a range burner are minimal.

BUT the other byproduct of burning propane is H2O (water). Water vapor is also produced as steam from the product you are cooking. We often run the vent just to keep the inside humidity down.

Propane is a simple molecule, C3H8. That is, three Carbon atoms and eight Hydrogen atoms clumped together. When you burn (oxidize) propane, the C's go to oxides of Carbon (CO and CO2) and the H's go to water (H2O).

Larry
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 12:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
The carbon monoxide and carbon dioxide that are produced from a a few minutes with a range burner are minimal.

BUT the other byproduct of burning propane is H2O (water). Water vapor is also produced as steam from the product you are cooking. We often run the vent just to keep the inside humidity down.

Propane is a simple molecule, C3H8. That is, three Carbon atoms and eight Hydrogen atoms clumped together. When you burn (oxidize) propane, the C's go to oxides of Carbon (CO and CO2) and the H's go to water (H2O).

Larry
If the flame at the burner is blue, the amount of CO produced is negligible. This is why stove top and oven burners don't require separate vents unless one needs to get rid of the water vapor.

Now if the flame is turning yellow, that's a clear sign of incomplete combustion which produces CO in greater quantities. Look for plugged air intakes for the burners when this occurs.

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan

"2004" Male Shih-Tsu Co-Pilot
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 12:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Cracking a window near the stove is more efficient than relying on roof vents for "intake" air. Heat rises. Open a window and a roof vent, normal convection currents will exchange air. Open a window and use the range hood (with outside "flap" free) and fresh air comes in with hot air being exhausted in a short distance. Real important when using AC.

If I don't keep a window open near the stove, with range hood fan on, my smoke detector reminds me in short order. Especially if using the oven.
Cheap detectors (what else would you expect from the factory) are ionization types and give false alarms from just hot metal of the oven. Keep forgetting to change it for an upgraded model.
TitanMike can you explain the logic for using the range hood and opening a window when using AC please
derek6669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 01:21 PM   #10

Open the window

I have my fantastic fan on and crack a window. I also do most of my cooking outside on a griddle or smokey joe. I rarely cook inside and have never used the oven. I do that at home not when camping.

snuelken is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crack, window