Old 01-10-2015, 08:00 AM   #1
Dual tank system

We have a 2013 Flagstaff with two propane tanks. The right side tank has a regulator, switchover valve and indicator, the left side also has a regulator; however, it is painted red. I have attempted to use the switchover when the right tank runs out; however, when turning on the left tank gas leaks from the regulator. I want to replace the regulator but wondered if it was a different pressure or a flow though because of the red paint. Any thoughts?

R Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 10:38 PM   #2
I would check with a local propane dealer sounds like something is wrong never seen a red one would think red would be for defected or something. If anything call your dealer and have them replace the regulator.

Andrew & Donna Reyes
2012 Georgetown 378XL
2015 Ford Taurus
Our Baby Dachshund
ramair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 12:22 AM   #3
Mine has the red regulator also it is for the drivers side tank to keep liquid propane out of the hose going to the other regulator it is of higher pressure and mine was working ok but the switchover one was bad had replaced it under warranty and all is good.

2001 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3
2011 25 RL Wildcat
former fiver 1976 Fourwinds had for 35 years
onetonford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 08:15 PM   #4
I had to replace my 30 lb. regulator just last week for the same reason. The red paint designates that it is a 30 lb. regulator. Some units have a blue regulator which I think is 10 lbs.

2012 Palomino Sabre 32RCTS-6
2012 Ford F-250 Super Duty Fx4 6.7 Powerstroke
16K PullRite SuperGlide
Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Air Bags
Cyoul8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 08:45 PM   #5
I'm glad I jioned this forum, your always learing new things from a wealth of knowledge.
campr-pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 09:26 PM   #6
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker
The dealer told me the red regulator is the slave regulator to the changeover-valve/regulator. Hope he wasn't blowing smoke at me, I kind of like the guy.
Don & Dona W/yorkies Gizmo, Master Chief, & Tali
2011 Flagstaff 8528 BHSS 2015 Ford 6.7 XLT
2010 Full Timers & Still Going
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 08:53 PM   #7
Had to replace my "red" regulator today. It was leaking around the area where the top is crimped to the bottom.
As a precaution I checked all fittings for leaks. I found a leak on the input to the changeover which was due to no tape or pipe dope on the threads. I also found two fittings that had white Teflon instead of yellow. Which was a potential problem.
It never ceases to amaze me how RV manufacturers and dealers can be so lax when it comes to QC. It is no wonder that so many RV purchasers are unhappy with their units.
I am also a boat owner and I have always heard that if you don't like to work on them then you will always be plagued with problems. I guess that goes for RV's as well. Preventive maintenance is a must but if you can't do the work yourself you are at the mercy of the dealer or "technician".
I am the first owner of this 2013 Crusader and overall I believe it to be a good unit.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Ddubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 06:21 AM   #8
thanks for the clarification on the two color regulators....we have a minor LP leak on the slaved side LP system that I have yet to find. i was wondering why the two different LP regs....

"Workamping Professional"
2015 WPF40RLS
2012 Ram 3500 DRW G56
1997 TJ-ish....
rjtimmer is offline   Reply With Quote