Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2018, 04:16 PM   #1

Faulty propane hose 2017 Rockwood

In November of 2016 we purchased a 2017 Rockwood ultralight 2604ws. It has been trouble free up to now and quite a step up from our 10 year old Jayco featherlight expandable (23b) in both quality and room.
As I was preparing for a upcoming month long trip I noticed a propane smell in the front of the camper. I removed the cover and found one of the high-pressure hoses had come off where it was crimp fitted on a barbered fitting at the regulator. The high flow valves had seated in the bottles, so the leak rate was low. I lost over 30 lbs of propane so it mast have gone on for some time. I know I will get comments on the vale of blocking my propane bottles in during storage and I agree I should.
The hose that came off looked good as far as no cracks and still flexible as you would expect in less than 2 years. I believe it was just a poor crimp connection.

I replaced the hose, filled my bottles and checked for leaks with a gas leak solution. The new hose looked great and I checked the old hose on the other bottle I found it would leak as I moved it around. To me it looks like a bad batch of hoses.

The new hoses I purchased at our RV parts store appear to be higher quality so I should be in good shape. I am posting this to let others know if they have a trailer around this age you may want to check this out. Two hoses failing at the same time indicate a parts supplier issue vs a build quality concern.
RockwoodUL2604 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane, rockwood