Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2015, 09:31 AM   #1

FR3 30DS No Propane Flow

I have a 2014 FR3 30DS, and after pulling into camp yesterday we were not getting any propane to our appliances. The propane tank is full, valve is open, but no flow. I looked down and saw the Safe T Alert Propane Gas Alarm was not on (no lights), and attempted to reset it but cannot reset. I was told to check the fuse, but I do not know where the fuse is located for this. I am thinking that if the fuse is blown, then the safety mechanism kicked in and has stopped the flow of propane. Any help from the community would be greatly appreciated!

2014 FR3 30DS
JAROliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 06:48 AM   #2

Mine camper did that while gone. Had a friend swap tanks.

The propane place put a connector in the valve with no hose and picked in up and slammed the bottom of tank to the concrete a couple of times ( six inches to a foot drop) and propane would come out.

Have seen tanks where you have to open the tank very slowly and barely crack it open.

I have not had a regulator go bad on me and am not aware of any fuse.

I would try both tanks and switching from tank to tank. If not take to a propane place and make sure that propane will and can come out. You could buy the fitting and check yourself if you feel comfortable doing so.

I would start at the tanks and then hose to regulator. And then regulator. Guess you could take the hose off the regulator and have screwed to the tank and see if propane comes out.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
arpipeliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 07:14 AM   #3
Site Team

There is an open flow safety valve in all modern propane tanks. If the lines in the RV are unpressurized and you open the tank valve quickly there is a rapid flow of propane into the empty lines. This tricks the safety protection device into thinking there is an open line and it shuts off the flow. To correct this do the following:

Shut off tank.
turn on and light stove ( it may not light you are just relieving pressure)
shut off stove
wait 2-3 mins
Just crack the tank valve a little very slowly.
Give the system about 30 sec to fill and pressurize
Open the tank valve fully
you should be set to go.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 01:35 PM   #4

Thank you for the information. It turned out to be a blown fuse located in the battery compartment. I replaced the fuse, but it immediately blew again. Now I need to find out why the fuses keep blowing.
Old 05-26-2015, 11:35 PM   #5

Check and make sure your battery cables are on the right side! You may have been blowing polarity fuse(s) (don't ask me how I know this
Del78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 08:13 AM   #6

Thank you. It turns out the solenoid was malfunctioning, and actually melted. I replaced the solenoid, and all is right with the world again. After speaking with Forest River I found out this happens more often than people realize. It was tough finding just the solenoid, as all the RV dealers sell it as part of a full kit with the propane detector. I was finally able to find the exact part at West Marine, and had everything installed and running within 45 minutes.

Tags
propane