Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2017, 06:56 AM   #1

Fridge Not Cooling on Propane

We spent three nights this summer at a park with no hookups, including hydro. We've never ran the fridge on propane since we book hydro sites.

I ran the fridge on propane. After the first day, I noticed the temperature was rising in the fridge and freezer. After the second day the freezer was right around 32 degrees F or 0 Celsius. The fridge was struggling to maintain 50 degrees F.

When I got home I opened the fridge access compartment and used my compressor to thoroughly blow our the area including the burner. When I tried the fridge on propane, I heard a "whoosh" and it worked fine. In hindsight I don't recall hearing the burner when camping, but, can hear it now.

I guess the lesson here is test your fridge on propane prior to going on a trip and use an air compressor and blow it out occasionally.

I'm glad it was a cheap fix.

2017 GMC SLT HD All Terrain Crew Cab (6' 6" Box) 2012 Roo 23SS
E2 Trunnion WDH (1,000 lb / 10,000 lb)
Dave Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 08:27 PM   #2

Good catch. I blow mine out several times during camping season, also at the beginning and end.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 09:40 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Lyon View Post
We spent three nights this summer at a park with no hookups, including hydro. We've never ran the fridge on propane since we book hydro sites.

I ran the fridge on propane. After the first day, I noticed the temperature was rising in the fridge and freezer. After the second day the freezer was right around 32 degrees F or 0 Celsius. The fridge was struggling to maintain 50 degrees F.

When I got home I opened the fridge access compartment and used my compressor to thoroughly blow our the area including the burner. When I tried the fridge on propane, I heard a "whoosh" and it worked fine. In hindsight I don't recall hearing the burner when camping, but, can hear it now.

I guess the lesson here is test your fridge on propane prior to going on a trip and use an air compressor and blow it out occasionally.

I'm glad it was a cheap fix.

So how do you blow it out?
elefrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 10:06 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by elefrk View Post
So how do you blow it out?

My air compressor with a blow gun attachment.

Old 10-18-2017, 06:55 PM   #5

Where do you aim the air? Also, is there a change over (gas/ electric)?
We're newbies and our dealer walk through was not very informative.
We've been doing close to home shake down trips at sites with full hook ups but I'd like to be able to do some longer, less connected trips
snub13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 07:39 PM   #6

Sounds like you might have had mud/dirt dauber construction. Very common problem but, as you found out, easy to fix.
Old 10-19-2017, 06:40 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by snub13 View Post
Where do you aim the air? Also, is there a change over (gas/ electric)?
We're newbies and our dealer walk through was not very informative.
We've been doing close to home shake down trips at sites with full hook ups but I'd like to be able to do some longer, less connected trips
I removed the plastic refrigerator panel on the outside and blew out the entire area, with special focus on the burner area.

The change over from gas to electric is the buttons on the fridge (at least with my model). There is nothing to do in the exterior compartment for a change over.

Old 10-19-2017, 07:01 AM   #8

I'm guessing it either didn't switch over properly the first time, or you had air in the lines. I always get the stove to light first, as it's closest to the frig and bleeds most of the air out of the system.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 07:04 AM   #9

Quote:

I guess the lesson here is test your fridge on propane prior to going on a trip
I run through all of the working units before leaving home. Sitting in out trailer right now out in the desert. Checked the heating furnace before leaving home knowing we wouldn't even use it.

Good to check and run everything occasionally.

A lot of equipment seems to malfunction after sitting unused.

M-Bob
Mountainmanbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 08:28 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
I'm guessing it either didn't switch over properly the first time, or you had air in the lines. I always get the stove to light first, as it's closest to the frig and bleeds most of the air out of the system.

This has happened to me.

I turn off the propane at the tank when at home. When getting ready to go out if I just turn the fridge on it will often time out before the propane gets into the lines well enough for the fridge to light. Once the fridge times out it will stop trying to light. Running the stove for a minute clears the lines and fridge will start fine.
2022 F150 Powerboost Hybrid.
DougW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 07:39 PM   #11

Quote:
I removed the plastic refrigerator panel on the outside and blew out the entire area, with special focus on the burner area.

The change over from gas to electric is the buttons on the fridge (at least with my model). There is nothing to do in the exterior compartment for a change over.

Thank you. I'll have to take a closer look at the fridge, I've not really given it much thought. We've been so busy with getting the basics down that these "advanced" things have escaped us[emoji1]
snub13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cooling, fridge, propane