Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2013, 05:31 PM   #1

Question Fridge won't switch to gas

Hi all,
We have a 2011 Coachman Catalina which we have parked at our seasonal site. We keep the electricity on when we leave, but also keep the fridge setting on "auto" in case there is service interruption.

Well, that happened last week while we were gone and the fridge did not switch over to propane as expected Minimal loss; mostly condiments and my hubby's bait in the freezer (thank God it was double sealed!)

Upon our arrival back, we checked the propane tanks which had ample gas, and the stove burners and furnace kicked on just fine. We toggled "off" then "gas" on the fridge to see if it would come on but we didn't even get a blinking warning light. No light at all. Did this a couple of times with no luck. Any suggestions???

TIA

Bill, Ann, & Tanner, our canine sidekick
2007 Toyota Tundra
2011 Coachmen Catalina 22FB
Numerous dirt bikes
-and- NO room left in garage!
aberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:58 PM   #2

I had a similar problem with our old camper. We had to change the heating element.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:55 AM   #3
Explorer

A few things you might try:
Turn fridge off for a few seconds and ten back on to propane. Do you hear a clicking? The igniter will click at least once to several seconds while it tries to light the burner.
If you have clicking but not lighting there are several things to look at: clean burner, scale/rust from the flue fall on the burner and should be cleaned every year(I use a shop vac). Check/purge the gas line by cracking a swage lock fitting listen for a hiss and smell for gas(no smoking) in my last camper I had to do this every spring.
If this is all good have some one inside start the cycle and watch if the burner lights but goes out. If this is the case it would be the thermal coulple being bad or not in the flame.
If you have clicking(spark) and you smell gas it could be a bad gas solenoid, try taping on it to free it also the solenoid will be magnetic when energized(open or trying to open)
If you had no clicking(no spark) than be sure the igniter is in proper orientation(not grounded but close enough 1/8-1/4 ish)
These are the things I would try first, then we start breaking out the wire diagram, schematic and multi meter.
Good luck
John
YoungKopernik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:13 PM   #4
Site Team - Lou

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tml#post323843

similar problem and solutions
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:36 PM   #5

Is it possible that there a cobweb blocking the gas line.Because I had a problem with my hot water tank one time and they told me to take a part the gas line and run a brush through it. I did that and it work.Don't just look in side it because you won't see it.I did that to had to take apart again and run something through it and it work
BillyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:34 AM   #6
Explorer

I had a BBQ that had a spider nest in aswell, it was in the burner tube. I am not sure a spider could get in past the orifice on the gas-line side.
Having a camper is so much fun. I am always wondering whats going to happen next? I figure bouncing my house(camper) down the road is going to inherently cause problems.
I love it
John
YoungKopernik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:57 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by aberg View Post
Hi all,
We have a 2011 Coachman Catalina which we have parked at our seasonal site. We keep the electricity on when we leave, but also keep the fridge setting on "auto" in case there is service interruption.

Well, that happened last week while we were gone and the fridge did not switch over to propane as expected Minimal loss; mostly condiments and my hubby's bait in the freezer (thank God it was double sealed!)

Upon our arrival back, we checked the propane tanks which had ample gas, and the stove burners and furnace kicked on just fine. We toggled "off" then "gas" on the fridge to see if it would come on but we didn't even get a blinking warning light. No light at all. Did this a couple of times with no luck. Any suggestions???

TIA
Aberg,

Did you find your problem? The last used camper I bought had the same issue, when I had it on auto it would not work. I found that when I took the outside cover off of the fridge vent there was a gas lever shut off valve that had been turned off, i turned it on and all was well. Good luck.
Regards,
Dave
Leecountry is offline   Reply With Quote