Old 12-15-2013, 03:24 PM   #1

Frost on propane tank, is there a leak?

I feel like my propane is leaking because it seems to drain tank quickly and notice when it does the tank has frost on it half way down. I noticed it first on one side and it didn't want to show green on regulator once I put a new tank on. I tapped on the regulator and it will turn green but once I go inside to turn on furnace it goes back to red. Did it a few times and got it to stay green but after that tank ran out within a day and a half. Two days max. Now it's doing it on the other tank also. Anyone have this problem before or have an idea of what it could be?

Old 12-15-2013, 03:28 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacquez707 View Post
I feel like my propane is leaking because it seems to drain tank quickly and notice when it does the tank has frost on it half way down. I noticed it first on one side and it didn't want to show green on regulator once I put a new tank on. I tapped on the regulator and it will turn green but once I go inside to turn on furnace it goes back to red. Did it a few times and got it to stay green but after that tank ran out within a day and a half. Two days max. Now it's doing it on the other tank also. Anyone have this problem before or have an idea of what it could be?
How cold is it where your at and what size tank do you have? 20# or 30#?

Old 12-15-2013, 03:32 PM   #3

Is the water heater or stove running on gas?

Is the humidity high where you are at?
Old 12-15-2013, 04:37 PM   #4

if/when there is frost on the propane tank....I know it's darn cold. LOL. single digits here today.
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 07:03 PM   #5

It's not unusual to have frost form on the tank above the liquid propane in the tank. Depends on humidity and the amount of propane being used (furnace, warter heater, stove/oven and refrigerator) at the time. The guage at the tanks can flucuate with gas being used but should show green with a good tank turned on an nothing but pilots or refrigerator on.

Depending on your camper, size of tank and your furnace use you can go through propane quickly, although 2 days seems awfully quick.

Time to break out the soapy water spray bottle and nose and see what you find.
Old 12-15-2013, 07:03 PM   #6

It's about 60f during the day and like mid 30's at night. There is a bit higher humidity but not super high. And yes water heater, furnace and fridge run off propane. Live off grid so power isn't 24hrs a day. Runs off of a generator. They are 7g tanks.
Old 12-15-2013, 07:11 PM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
It's about 60f during the day and like mid 30's at night. There is a bit higher humidity but not super high. And yes water heater, furnace and fridge run off propane. Live off grid so power isn't 24hrs a day. Runs off of a generator. They are 7g tanks.
7 gal tanks would be your problem
Are you sure there 7# tanks?

Youd be better getting a 100# rental tank and run an accessory line.

I had a tough time getting a week out of a 30# tank in similar temps.
And that was using the furnace only.
Then I had a 30' tt with one slide out.

Turbs
Old 12-15-2013, 07:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Three gas fed appliances from 14-/+ gallons for two days sounds about right.

The furnace and water heater are gas hogs.
Old 12-15-2013, 08:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post

I don't feel it's right. There has only been two different times this has happened. Normally I can get about 4 days out of a 7 gallon tank. I haven't changed anything from before nor upped my usage. So I don't get how the tank drained in 1.5 days. Put it in Friday night at 7pm and it was empty by early morning today. Also when this happened the first time it also had a thick layer of frost on bottom half of tank. Frost looks like what you'd find in a freezer. Not a thin layer like moisture that freezes. There has been colder days and I don't find frost once tank runs out. Only these two occasions
Old 12-15-2013, 09:16 PM   #10
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post

Furnace is definitely a gas hog, the water heater not so much as it only runs for about 5-6 minutes when hot water is used, which should not be at night. If hot water is not used, ours only fires up about once every 6-8 hrs and then for only about 3-4 minutes.

Tags
leak, propane, tank