Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2013, 11:12 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Bilcin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Philadelphia PA
Posts: 385
Frozen/Stuck propane tank valve???

I have a 2011 Wildwood 26TBSS with 2- 30lb propane tanks. Tank #1 works fine. When I turn the tank selection dial to tank #2 no gas enters the system. I took tank #2 to filling station to make sure it was filled, it was. Hooked it back up and again no gas. Switched back to tank #1 and gas flowed. Is the valve on tank #2 frozen? Stuck? If so, how does one fix this?


Thanks
__________________

__________________
Bill & Cindy McKenna
Philadelphia PA
2015 Palomino Puma 32DBKS
2005 Ford Excursion 6 liter Turbo Diesel
Bilcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 11:35 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Fire Instructor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Upstate (Albany Area) NY
Posts: 772
Put tank 2 into the tank 1 position to ensure that it's functioning properly. If it is, it sounds like the switchover regulator may have a problem. I had one go bad on a trip, and had to replace it... fortunately, I found a reasonaby priced RV dealer within 20 miles, as the CG that we were staying at had a regulator, that they wanted WAY too much money for the convenience....
__________________

__________________
Fire Instructor

2014 RAM 2500 Laramie 4x4 Quad Cab w/Cummins Turbo Diesel, 2009 Rockwood 2607, and 3 'yaks!
300W of Suntech Solar, a Rogue MPT-3024 Controller, and a Xantrex PW2000 Inverter
Fire Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 12:01 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Bilcin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Philadelphia PA
Posts: 385
Hey thank you for the reply. Tried your suggestion and still no gas. Took the tank, to our camp ground maintanence guy and he 'PURGED" the tank/valve. He said some moisture got into the valve and when propane hit it, it froze. Well it now works. Thanks for you suggestion!
__________________
Bill & Cindy McKenna
Philadelphia PA
2015 Palomino Puma 32DBKS
2005 Ford Excursion 6 liter Turbo Diesel
Bilcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 07:13 AM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilcin View Post
Hey thank you for the reply. Tried your suggestion and still no gas. Took the tank, to our camp ground maintanence guy and he 'PURGED" the tank/valve. He said some moisture got into the valve and when propane hit it, it froze. Well it now works. Thanks for you suggestion!
So out of curiosity how did he "purge" the tank?


Turbs
__________________
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 07:29 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
DAISY BOYKIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: SUNSHINE STATE
Posts: 1,623
Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Common problem---------

I have two RV friends that had the same problem, the pigtail for the side that you can not get gas has to be changed. Their problem was corrected at the rally by FOREST RIVER TECHS. Seems the ball check valve in the pig tail is stuck in the closed position.


Good luck!
__________________
Sid, Lois & HRH MISSY Terrible 2s SHIH TZU
2011 ROCKWOOD 8285 WS
2014 F-250 KING RANCH PS/SD/6R140/BFT
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2017 66 DAYS
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 07:56 AM   #6
Old Enough to Know Better
 
gasman6674's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Greenwood, In
Posts: 462
Turbs
He probably just dumped some methanol into it,
To properly purge a tank. Pressurize the tank to 15psi with VAPOR Propane (not Liquid) and then vent it to atmosphere, This needs to be done 5 times, Then before or during filling inject approx 4oz of methanol. The methanol will abzorb any remaining water and allow it to pass thru and be burned also preventing regulator freeze up.
Improper purged tanks can freeze up at the valve, cause the regulator to freeze and or have the relief valve release prematurely. Tanks only need to be purged when they are new (unless they are vaccumn purged from the factory) or when they are opened to atmosphere for valave replacement.

Regards
__________________
Jim & Debbie England
Do you have Gas? 2015 F350 6.2L CCLB DRW 4.30 axle. 2012 Yellowstone Ridgeline 34RLT Fifth Wheel
gasman6674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 08:03 AM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman6674 View Post
Turbs
He probably just dumped some methanol into it,
To properly purge a tank. Pressurize the tank to 15psi with VAPOR Propane (not Liquid) and then vent it to atmosphere, This needs to be done 5 times, Then before or during filling inject approx 4oz of methanol. The methanol will abzorb any remaining water and allow it to pass thru and be burned also preventing regulator freeze up.
Improper purged tanks can freeze up at the valve, cause the regulator to freeze and or have the relief valve release prematurely. Tanks only need to be purged when they are new (unless they are vaccumn purged from the factory) or when they are opened to atmosphere for valave replacement.

Regards
Thanks gasman!
__________________
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:43 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Bilcin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Philadelphia PA
Posts: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post

So out of curiosity how did he "purge" the tank?

Turbs
I can assume that he did the following steps that gas man said about doing it 5 times. The maintenance man took my tank had it for a couple of hours, I had to pay for 30 pounds of propane, but it seems to be working properly.
__________________

__________________
Bill & Cindy McKenna
Philadelphia PA
2015 Palomino Puma 32DBKS
2005 Ford Excursion 6 liter Turbo Diesel
Bilcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
propane, tank

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:16 PM.