Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2013, 10:01 AM   #1

Furnace Issue

We have a 2012 Rockwood Windjammer 3065W. The furnace was working fine and now when you start it, you hear a click then a few seconds later another click but nothing happens. No fan blowing, nothing. We have full tanks of gas and the gas is getting to the range top. Any ideas? Thanks in advance...
RobinC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:10 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

It was working today fine ?

Or two weeks ago fine?

Did you just get your tanks filled?

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:15 AM   #3

It was working intermitantly before we filled the tanks, so we filled them full and not working at all now.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:18 AM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinC View Post
It was working intermitantly before we filled the tanks, so we filled them full and not working at all now.
Shut your tank valves completely off.

Then ever so slowly open them back up.

Slowly is the key here especially if one of the tanks was empty when you had it filled.

Turbs
Old 04-08-2013, 10:19 AM   #5

Ok, I will try that. Should both tanks always be open or just use one at a time? I thought maybe there was a place under the stove to bleed the gas lines?
Old 04-08-2013, 10:25 AM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Ok, I will try that. Should both tanks always be open or just use one at a time? I thought maybe there was a place under the stove to bleed the gas lines?
No place to bleed.
Both open if you have auto switching valve.
One open if manual switching valve.

A lot of times if a tank is ran empty.... and it happens , the line seems to have an air pocket in it and when you install a new tank and hurriedly open the valve, the opd valve with close not allowing enough propane to run furnace.

Good luck.

Turbs
Old 04-08-2013, 11:05 AM   #7

Mine did this last weekend, same symptoms (except I just forgot to open the gas tank). I was able to get the unit back on by turning the thermostat power off and back on. My understanding is it will try to ignite so many times and then quit trying. If your thermostat is not electric you may try turning off the breaker and back on.
Good luck
07 Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:20 AM   #8

The fan should run for a little while to purge the firebox before it attempts ignition. If you turn the thermostat off, then back on with the setpoint low enough for the thermostat to run the furnace, it should reset and start the fan for another purge and ignition attempt. Let it sit for a few minutes after you turn it off just in case there's some gas in the furnace. After three attempts with no flame, it should not try again. If the fan didn't run, there is probably something wrong other than, or maybe in addition to, inadequate gas supply. Maybe the fan has failed, or a relay that runs it.

We have a Sunseeker motorhome and I don't know if your trailer would be different, but our thermostat operates on 12 volts. Do you have power to the thermostat? I assume you have something or it wouldn't make anything click.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:32 AM   #9

Thanks, I will try turning the gas on slow, then also check the fuse box, too. I assume there is electricity to it or it wouldn't click...
Old 04-08-2013, 06:19 PM   #10
Explorer

long distance, two cents

Here is my long distance two cents, maybe only worth one cent(I am just a home fix-it guy)
For a standard propane furnace and not a heat pump system:
If the fan does not come on to purge the furnace then that is where I would start.
You might be hearing a click from the thermostat, fan motor trying to start or contacts from a relay trying to close a circuit. But you should not hear a click from the igniter until fan is running and sale switch(safety interlock) is closed.
I always start small and easy: going to need a multi meter and a few tools; watch for loose or disconnected or chewed wiring
I would find the fuse for the heater and be sure there is a good fuse and its powered (12V).
Next I would check for a signal coming from thermostat and while its easy to check at the thermostat(for a signal)the harder part will be to see if the signal gets all the way to the furnace.
This might be a good time to see if you have any type of warranty.
To check for a signal at the furnace you will need access and you may need to pull the heater to do this at the very least remove the access cover.
If this is all good, then I would check the fan: is the motor and fan blade(squirrel cage) spinning free. Is there power(12V) when thermostat sends a signal. If you have power at the motor but its not working you’ve found your culprit.
I hope by now the problem has been found
If there was no power at fan and thermostat is sending a signal, then you’ll needing a wire diagram and a schematic.
The standard furnace is fairly simple but the camper manufactures can sure put them in some very difficult places to work on.
YoungKopernik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:02 PM   #11
Site Team - Lou

John (YoungKopernik) is right on.

If the fan blower is not running (or running strong enough) to close the sail switch, there is no power to the ignitor or gas valve.

Look for the reason the fan is not turning:

1) mud wasp nest in squirrel cage
2) rusted motor shaft
3) burned up motor
4) burned up wires
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:20 PM   #12

Try blowing air into the furnace from the outside exhaust ports. You might have a dead spot on the commutator. If you can get the fan to turn the furnace might start. If this works you will need to replace the fan motor.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 02:51 PM   #13

Furnace still not working...

Ok, we have turned off the gas, disconnected the hoses to the gas, reconnected the hoses, turned on the gas, ever so slow and the same result. You turn the switch to heat, you hear one immediate click, then about 10 seconds later another click and that is it.
We have gas to the stove top, so gas is getting to the trailer.
Is there a breaker that maybe needs reset? Which fuse runs the furnace. Nothing of the fuses are labeled furnace, which is below the fridge.
Any suggestions?
Thanks!
Old 04-19-2013, 07:43 PM   #14
Site Team - Lou

If the sail switch does not close you will not get a spark.
Since you hear a spark, the blower is running and power is being routed to the sparker and the gas solenoid.

If the solenoid does not open to release the gas or the flame does not light for a mixture reason you will get the symptoms you describe.

The sparker will try to light 3 times and then SHUT DOWN.

You will need to remove power completely to reset the spark control computer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Suburban Furnace 001.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	28432  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf suburbantech.pdf (804.8 KB, 32 views)
Old 04-19-2013, 07:57 PM   #15

Is the fan coming on?
Old 04-19-2013, 08:25 PM   #16

No, the fan does not come on...
Old 04-20-2013, 08:14 AM   #17

It is working now! My husband slammed the fridge door and it started working. Go figure?
Old 04-20-2013, 08:21 AM   #18
Mod free 5er

Quote:
It is working now! My husband slammed the fridge door and it started working. Go figure?
Definitely points to a loose wire. Now, the job of finding it. Good Luck.
Old 04-20-2013, 08:48 AM   #19

It could also be a dead spot on the fan. Our fan motor had brushes. We had to replace the brushes and have the commutator turned down. Our furnace would do the same as yours. If yours have the same set up the brushes could have been stuck and the slamming of the door jarred them. Or as stated a loose wire.
Old 04-20-2013, 10:40 AM   #20
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Need to hire him as my mechanic!

Gotta love a "touch" like that!