Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2015, 10:48 PM   #1

Furnace No Workie

Last weekend, furnace worked fine. Wife turned off like we normally do at thermostat before closing up for the weekend. When trying to run heat tonight, fan runs for less than a minute and system shuts down and never blew any heat. Both LP tanks have gas, stove works so gas is making it through the lines. I have a 2014 Sandpiper 365SAQB. Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated as well as how I may even access the furnace. I cannot locate any access panels other than in one of the belly.compartments. Thankfully its not that cold tonight and we can get by with an electric space heater..
Nights Camped 2013: 80
Nights Camped 2014: 79
jolsem725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 08:52 AM   #2

Couple of quick checks....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolsem725 View Post
Last weekend, furnace worked fine. Wife turned off like we normally do at thermostat before closing up for the weekend. When trying to run heat tonight, fan runs for less than a minute and system shuts down and never blew any heat. Both LP tanks have gas, stove works so gas is making it through the lines. I have a 2014 Sandpiper 365SAQB. Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated as well as how I may even access the furnace. I cannot locate any access panels other than in one of the belly.compartments. Thankfully its not that cold tonight and we can get by with an electric space heater..
If you have a Dometic thermostat: Using the bottom on/off button, move your selector light to the bottom (CCW) and check the inside temperature by pressing either the + or - button. If the temperature reads within what you consider to be a realistic range, move the selector to fan and select automatic. Then move the selector to cool. Select a setting that is at least 6 degrees colder than the heat setting you choose. Move the selector to the bottom again and wait for the light to go off. When it does move the selector CCW to heat and stop there. In a minute or two the fan will come on. Stand by the register until you feel heat coming out. If it doesn't heat up make sure the batteries are charged up and of course check to ensure propane is turned on all the way, and that the bottle you are using is not low. I have had instances where there was enough propane to run the stove but not the furnace. Remember, the furnace takes from 10 to 15 amps to run, depending on the model. Lastly, when you reset the furnace by the above procedure you should hear the electronic ignitor under the trailer clicking, trying to light the burner. These things sound silly but have restored my heat on many a cold night using them. Make sure you hear the ignitor.

Good Luck!
Moved from a 2,000 SF home into a 2014 Puma, about 260 SF. On two acres. We brought in power, water, and installed septic system. We've been here a year now, my wife, myself, and an 80lb female Weim named Daisy. We can barely see our nearest neighbor, one of two.
Sirwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 11:45 AM   #3

It's also possible that the furnace igniter is broken. My furnace would have blower turn on, you'd hear clicking of igniter go but no ignition. Service center replace igniter and no problems since. So check to see if center probe moves if it does that could be problem.
nasilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 06:14 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolsem725 View Post
Sense it worked last weekend and your tanks are not empty check the thermostat next. Take each switch and make sure it is where it belongs. Take each switch and "flip" them back and forth a few times. Sometimes they get a little corrosion on the contacts. Moving them back and forth a few times usually takes care of this problem.

Also check your battery voltage. If I remember right if the voltage is too low the igniter will not fire. If the pilot doesn't ignite it will shut down as you are describing.

Jim
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 07:28 AM   #5

Had that problem with Atwood furnace on '09 Jay flight. Would start and light and run for about 30 sec and shut down. You reeboot furnace and it would do it again. Took to CW and they said board and sail switch. To make a long story shorter, their repair time was excessive, I took it back and replaced those parts... wasn't it at all. The igniter, even though it lit the burner, sends a flame present signal to the board. Replaced it as well as the board and has worked ever since. But let me tell you, I literally had to pull the kitchen sink to do it and used every four letter word I knew and some I made up on the spot!. You don't want the DW, kiddies or pets around when you do this, it's ugly
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 08:20 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff64 View Post
Had that problem with Atwood furnace on '09 Jay flight. Would start and light and run for about 30 sec and shut down. You reeboot furnace and it would do it again. Took to CW and they said board and sail switch. To make a long story shorter, their repair time was excessive, I took it back and replaced those parts... wasn't it at all. The igniter, even though it lit the burner, sends a flame present signal to the board. Replaced it as well as the board and has worked ever since. But let me tell you, I literally had to pull the kitchen sink to do it and used every four letter word I knew and some I made up on the spot!. You don't want the DW, kiddies or pets around when you do this, it's ugly
I wanted to know the make and model of my furnace. I couldn't find the plate on it at first. First you have to remove the decorative screen. No ID plate shown. You need to open the metal front plate to find it. What a pain just to get a model number. I can see it being a project to remove it.

Jim
Old 08-13-2015, 08:42 AM   #7
Site Team

Few more questions.
When you turn furnace on, does fan run?
When you turn furnace on do you hear rapid clicks outside near furnace?
Does the stove work?

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 08:53 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
Few more questions.
When you turn furnace on, does fan run?
When you turn furnace on do you hear rapid clicks outside near furnace?
Does the stove work?
Did you even look at the OP's original post?

Jim
Old 08-13-2015, 10:15 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtool2 View Post
Did you even look at the OP's original post?

Jim
Probably OP fixed it as post is 2 months old......May 1st..
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace