Old 11-24-2013, 11:45 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy four View Post
Ford, yes and yes. I was just reading that that may be an issue, will have ti investigate further.
Keep us updated please.

Old 11-24-2013, 12:16 PM   #12

Quote:
The furnace should be pulling air from outside (?).
No, it shouldn't. Combustion air is pulled from the outside and returned to the outside.
The "heated air" is just recirculated within your RV (including belly) with no outside air drawn in.

I doubt that you have a leak in the combustion chamber in a new furnace. My bet is on the Dometic 300.

Old 11-25-2013, 02:59 PM   #13

I have to say that Dometic customer service representatives are top noch!! I called them explained the issue and they will be shipping me a replacement toilet no charge. I will keep you all posted after the repair.

2006 Chevy 3500 CCLB 4x4 DRW
Gypsy four is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 11:53 AM   #14

So, i have installed the new Dometic 300 toilets. Still have the stink problem. I finally went down and removed the ducts from the furnace to see if anything crawled in there and died. Being in a Fiver i have a passthrough storage in the front where i can get to the furnace. I had the wife fire it up while i was under there, without ducts attached and NO stink from furnace. What i did discover is that there is no cold air exchange anywhere. Could that have been the issue all along???

Old 12-07-2013, 02:07 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I finally went down and removed the ducts from the furnace to see if anything crawled in there and died. Being in a Fiver i have a passthrough storage in the front where i can get to the furnace. I had the wife fire it up while i was under there, without ducts attached and NO stink from furnace. What i did discover is that there is no cold air exchange anywhere. Could that have been the issue all along???
I don't believe that you'll find too many campers with a ducted return air/return air plenum. I think there's a few manufacturers doing that on their high-end units but otherwise, there'll be a open vent(s) drawing in room air into open grills on the unit.

Here's a link to the Suburban Furnace installation from the forum library for more info...
Forest River Forums - Downloads - Furnace - Suburban install for SF models

I don't see that you've eliminated the possibility of a dead rodent in one of the ducts. You could operate the furnace with all ducts off, placing one duct on at a time and seeing if the smell is produced.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 02:37 PM   #16

Dave, we did the one duct at a time, dead animal test yesterday. So today's test is removing the bottom kick plate from the steps going to the upper bedroom, fire up the furnace and see what happens. The furnace is mounted on its side right behind the steps so it will be a straight shot to the fan for air draw. Will let you know!

Old 12-07-2013, 02:43 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post

I don't believe that you'll find too many campers with a ducted return air/return air plenum. I think there's a few manufacturers doing that on their high-end units but otherwise, there'll be a open vent(s) drawing in room air into open grills on the unit.

Dave
There are no open vents anywhere in the camper for air exchange. That's why i think that could be the problem.
Scott.

Old 12-07-2013, 03:04 PM   #18

As i expected, no stink with kickplate off! Now the question is can the furnace draw too much cool air, from inside the camper, or would there be any other issues i have not thought of? I am going to let the furnace run like this the rest of today and consider my options.

Old 12-07-2013, 04:52 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Was the furnace set up to draw air from anywhere?

This sounds like a similar problem when they first introduced the Rockwood 8289WS...they didn't have return air from the cabin, they were drawing air from the basement storage area. They quickly changed it to return air vents on 2 of the step risers.

The furnace has to have return air from the living area of the camper to work correctly. I'm surprised that the furnace didn't kick out on over temperature!

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 05:02 PM   #20

Apparently they did not learn from that. This one was only drawing from the basement, and that would cause it to pull gasses in from the vent tubes at the roof. (is my guess). I will install a vent in the step as planned. The 366bh is a new floorplan for them.