Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2016, 03:54 PM   #1

Furnace Won't work on left propane tank

I have a 2014 Wildcat 282RK, and only discovered this past week that when switching from the right propane tank to the left one, the furnace wouldn't light. I noticed that the left tank (on the left side of the trailer) had a regulator right after the pigtail, before the tubing that runs across to the right side of the trailer at the left/right selector valve (which is also a primary stage regulator). I thought this odd, but figured it might be the problem. I removed the extra regulator and hooked the pigtail back up, and this fixed the problem.

Upon returning home, I contacted my friend at the local RV repair place, and he said that the extra regulator is to reduce the pressure in case the rubber tubing running from the left tank to the right tank were to ever spring a leak. He suggested that the regulator may have failed and told me I should put a new one back in, as a safety precaution. I did just that, and guess what, same problem. The furnace works just fine on the right tank, but does not work when using the left propane tank, with the extra regulator installed. Interestingly, all of the other gas appliances seem to work just fine. My guess is that the furnace requires such a large supply of gas, that the double regulator setup simply doesn't provide enough for it to work.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do next. Anybody have any suggestions? In any case, I wanted to post this information in case anyone else comes across this problem.
caumsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 04:02 PM   #2
Site Team - Lou

I had this issue and changing the automatic changeover regulator fixed the problem. There was trash (crud) in the valve assembly that restricted the flow on the far side tank.

No problems since.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 06:03 PM   #3
Site Team

My similar problem was caused by a failed check valve between the long hose and the primary regular. With a new check valve, I was good to go.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 06:19 PM   #4

The regulator on the left is a high pressure regulator, and is put there to provide higher pressure to the right side regulator but not high pressure, as it might cause a rupture. I had the same problem and picked up a high pressure regulator (30 lbs) from a local propane dealer. Fixed the problem.
sdfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 02:39 PM   #5

I had this problem with my 08 wildcat. Well almost as no fuel would flow. Problem was the new style connection pigtail. I later had to replace the crossover regulator and was hard to find and RV dealer wanted very high price. Found one at True Value at very good price. The propane dealer told me the regulator was to avoid a sudden flow safety shutoff when switched over from empty to full tank. An exact pressure value is not stated so set mine at 20 PSI. Works well.
cheewilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 02:57 PM   #6

I had this problem early this year.We had our 2006 Cardinal parked at a Rv park in April. After my main tank ran out of propane I switched to other tank but furnace would not work, everything else did. Ended up Changing both regulators since the one on left had a leak coming out of the little pin hole at top.Used it for 5 months after and had no problems.
eeng747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 05:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by caumsw View Post
I have a 2014 Wildcat 282RK, and only discovered this past week that when switching from the right propane tank to the left one, the furnace wouldn't light. I noticed that the left tank (on the left side of the trailer) had a regulator right after the pigtail, before the tubing that runs across to the right side of the trailer at the left/right selector valve (which is also a primary stage regulator). I thought this odd, but figured it might be the problem. I removed the extra regulator and hooked the pigtail back up, and this fixed the problem.

Upon returning home, I contacted my friend at the local RV repair place, and he said that the extra regulator is to reduce the pressure in case the rubber tubing running from the left tank to the right tank were to ever spring a leak. He suggested that the regulator may have failed and told me I should put a new one back in, as a safety precaution. I did just that, and guess what, same problem. The furnace works just fine on the right tank, but does not work when using the left propane tank, with the extra regulator installed. Interestingly, all of the other gas appliances seem to work just fine. My guess is that the furnace requires such a large supply of gas, that the double regulator setup simply doesn't provide enough for it to work.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do next. Anybody have any suggestions? In any case, I wanted to post this information in case anyone else comes across this problem.
I had precisely the same issue. I removed the single regulator from teh left tank, problem solved.

Im DONE with that!
Old 11-30-2016, 07:46 PM   #8
Site Team - Lou

This thread was my ordeal with this issue and contains TONS of attachments and photos.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tor-10539.html
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace, propane, tank