Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2014, 10:04 PM   #1

Gas alarm

I just got into rv camping and bought my first camper last year. My family went in the fall and loved it. Really there were no issues at all. Late in the fall, I had a buzzing sound coming from my camper. I found it to be a gas sensor around the floor of the camper. It was lit red and an alarm was sounding. I even had the propane turned off as I was getting ready to winterized the rv. I couldn't get it to stop so I disconnected the battery. It immediately stopped.

Now it is spring and I want to take it back out...I cleaned the rv all week and no issues arose. I turned my propane back on and even started the furnace. Everything worked terrific. Today, I finally got my refrig working. It has a switch needing reset. It was working great and I had the camper plugged back to my house for a while. Just before bed I heard the alarm to the gas sensor go off again. I turned the propane off the day before but it is connected. I smell no propane in the camper but am wanting to go out next week...does anyone know the problem? I don't want a gas leak and cause my family harm? I wish I knew more...help...thanks...T
Tony Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 10:14 PM   #2

The detector is there for when you're sleeping, LPG has sulfur just as natural gas does, if there was a leak you would know it.

How old is your unit? LP detectors have a finite life and rule of thumb is you replace them every five years. Otherwise they get old and start randomly going off, mine did the same thing when it was eight years old.

How old is your unit?

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 10:20 PM   #3

My camper is a Forest River ( Salem) 2007. I am pretty sure I have a low battery but you would think the alarm would have sounded this week as I cleaned the camper...

Absolutely no smell inside the camper. I even had the bottles turned off...it must be a battery issue.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:34 PM   #4

Could be that too, mine would wail if the voltage got low. That's easy to determine, get it to squeal and plug it in. If it shuts up, you found your problem.

Old 03-26-2014, 10:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKnight View Post
The detector is there for when you're sleeping, LPG has sulfur just as natural gas does, if there was a leak you would know it.

How old is your unit? LP detectors have a finite life and rule of thumb is you replace them every five years. Otherwise they get old and start randomly going off, mine did the same thing when it was eight years old.

How old is your unit?

Natural gas does not have a smell because of sulfur. The smell comes from the gas being odorized from being injected with mercaptain. Natural gas is odorless unless odorized.

Did you clean your campers floor with a strong cleaner. Our dealer told us that can make the sensor for off and to put tape over it so we don't get any cleaner in the sensor then remove when we are done. Not sure if this would be your problem but maybe keep in mind.
2014 Honda Pioneer 700-4
2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660
wyo700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 11:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyo700 View Post
Natural gas does not have a smell because of sulfur. The smell comes from the gas being odorized from being injected with mercaptain. Natural gas is odorless unless odorized.
Which smells like sulfur.

Old 03-27-2014, 05:46 PM   #7

I plugged the unit up with the alarm going off...it quit...I think it is a low battery. I topped off the wTer in the battery to check if it charges before getting a new one.
Old 03-31-2014, 11:21 AM   #8

Just like smoke detetors, any detectors have a finite life. At some point they should be replaced.

I have had smoke detectors go off because of bugs and dirt. Take a vacuum with the soft brush attachment and vacuum the sucker. See if that fixes it.

If it does not, then time to replace it so you know you are safe when camping.
masarost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 05:40 AM   #9

A 2007 detector should be replaced. They have a five year life. At end of life, false alarms can be annoying. Failure to alarm when there is a leak can be fatal.
Old 04-05-2014, 06:38 AM   #10

My unit is a 2013 and the alarm went off twice last night.
Currently in Gettysburg. Running heat pump set at 72. Propane turned on but not in use. Also went off other day with propane off.
Turn on exhaust fan or open door for fresh air and goes off
Now sleep with kitchen vent on low and can sleep through night
Displaced2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 11:23 AM   #11

I have a 2013 Sandpiper 34 RET Fifth wheel and my LP detector is chirping when the temp in trailer drops. Turn on electric heater and chirping stops any ideas out there? Only chirps when temp drops.

Paulj Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
paulj4400 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas