Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2013, 11:17 AM   #1

Gas Flow problem.

I have a Flagstaff 206 LTD pop up. It is ~ 1 year old. Last night I could not get my cook top to stay on. It would light then after a short while fade to off. Upon inspection of the regulator it looks like a piece is missing. Perhaps a cover to the pressure adjuster (see below). Could this be the source of my issue or a separate problem.

Secondly, I was looking on line for a replacement and it appears the regulator that is on board is illegal on RV's. Does a pop count as an RV? Why would it be illegal? Are all Model 230 regulators function the same regardless the manufacturer?

Thank you for your consideration on this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-06-10 20.47.56.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	32887  
majorstefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:31 AM   #2

Parts

If the adjust screw and spring also fell out. That's why it does not work. Just the cap should not stop it from working.

papap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:50 AM   #3

Awesome, thanks for your thoughts, however I don't think it has lost its spring. Here is a better picture. It looks like there is an allen adjustment in there. Being a novice I could be wrong. What do you think?

Cheers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-06-10 20.47.47.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	32888  
Old 06-11-2013, 12:00 PM   #4
H2oski

Check out the link, Your regulator is just missing the plug.

Single Stage 230 LP Gas Regulator

I wouldn't try adjusting it. Are you sure you have gas? I know thats a dumb question. Have you tried closing the valves and then opening them very slowly? (Overflow preventer)

Good Luck
(LA) Lower Alabama
h20ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 12:04 PM   #5

Not a dumb question. But yes I have checked the gas level. I have a meter on the tank and I also gave the shake test as well.

Thanks.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:29 PM   #6

New bottles

These new bottles can be a bitch. I have seen were they overfilled them and you could not get much to come out. We were camping last year and had to go out of camp ground and vent a small amount of gas out of them before we could get them to work.

Old 06-11-2013, 12:33 PM   #7

Interesting. Thanks.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:38 PM   #8
Site Team - Lou

There is a gas shutoff internal to the pigtail. If there is an indication of a leak, the tank's pigtail is designed to shut off the flow.

If a tank is opened too fast and the lines are empty, the tank may think there is a leak and shut off to a trickle. MAKE SURE everything that uses propane is off and then:

The solution is to close the valves on the tanks and wait 5 minutes. SLOWLY CRACK the tank valve (count to 10 as you open 1/4 turn). You should hear a slow hiss as the valve cracks.

Open and light a range burner and it should stand tall and blue. It may take a while if the lines need to be purged. You may also need to do the open tank slow procedure again.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 12:38 PM   #9

Bottles

If you just refilled bottles. I sure would try bottle on something else before replacing parts on camper.

Old 06-11-2013, 12:56 PM   #10

This is sounding likely. The trailer has sat idle with the tank disconnected for several months. I did open the tank without knowing to do slowly. I am sure the lines were less than full also. I will investigate tonight and report back tomorrow.

Thank you for your insight.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:56 PM   #11

Thank you, I will check this out also.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:34 AM   #12
Old Enough to Know Better

Back to your original question. The regulator will function ok without a cap however it is not a good idea due to rain, bugs road crap etc put some tape over it. Also current code requires all permanant systems to be two stage regulation (rv's are considered permanant).
Only portable appliances(grills, fish cookers etc) can still use single stage. So if you replace it will be a twin stage.
I agree with the others recycle your cylinder valve slowly to reset the internal excess flow, if that dosent work you may need to replace the pigtail/pol fitting.
EDIT I can not tell from the picture is this a two cylinder set up with an auto change over ? If so then the auto change over head acts as the first stage.

Regards
gasman6674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:01 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman6674 View Post
Back to your original question. The regulator will function ok without a cap however it is not a good idea due to rain, bugs road crap etc put some tape over it. Also current code requires all permanant systems to be two stage regulation (rv's are considered permanant).
Only portable appliances(grills, fish cookers etc) can still use single stage. So if you replace it will be a twin stage.
I agree with the others recycle your cylinder valve slowly to reset the internal excess flow, if that dosent work you may need to replace the pigtail/pol fitting.
EDIT I can not tell from the picture is this a two cylinder set up with an auto change over ? If so then the auto change over head acts as the first stage.

Regards
Hi, thanks, this is a single tank set up. I did manage to get it to work after turning on slowly.
When did this code come into effect?
Old 06-12-2013, 12:06 PM   #14

Thank you all for your brain storming session. It did work after disconnecting and then slowly turning the bottle on slowly.

Cheers to all.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:12 PM   #15
Old Enough to Know Better

The two stage requirement was made "code" in the 1997 edition of NFPA 58 which is the rules the LP Gas Industry follows. Beats me how a year old RV could/would be incorrect.
gasman6674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 11:08 PM   #16

Well this propane issue has bitten me also. I fought this dang thing all weekend on my shake down trip and never did get it to work. Thought I had it once but it just ran for a little while longer before the flow slowly faded down to nothing. After reading several posts here it appears that everybody has done many different things all adding up to replacing every gas fitting and regulator.
bc65925 is offline   Reply With Quote