Old 02-04-2015, 07:52 AM   #11
Roger and Paula
I am betting hydrogen sulfide from the black water tank (plugged vent pipe) rather than propane.

Rstrahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 08:05 AM   #12
Site Team
You said you leave the heat on and are in it from time to time, I am betting you are not using the toilet or sinks. With the low humidity outside, the water/antifreeze in the "P" traps evaporates and allows the gasses in the black and gray tanks to enter the RV. I would try adding a cup or two of antifreeze in every trap. We have to run the water in our guest bathroom tub at home as it isn't used much during the winter.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 65W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 09:06 PM   #13
I am having the same problem. Noticed the smell yesterday, open the windows, disconnected the propane and everything appeared to be ok. I hooked the propane back up and the stove is functioning fine as well as the heat. But the smell is there again. The smell appears to be coming from the stove and heat area.

I have been running the heat in the camper while it sits to prevent any issues due to the cold weather. I have let he water out of the water heater, and released the water from the low drain points and got all the water out of the toilet and opened all the faucets including outdoor shower and poured antifreeze down the drains and the holding tanks.

Running the heat was my insurance policy. Hopefully, everything will be ok without the heat.

Thankfully the camper is under warranty.
Rcbstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 09:41 PM   #14
You should try checking for a gas leak using a manometer. It'll quickly tell you if there is a leak in the system. google homemade's very simple to test. I had the same issue and systematically plugged each feed of the propane system to isolate the culprit. Ultimately it ended of being the gas control valve on the furnace.
R3Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 09:49 PM   #15
I had a stuck air admittance valve on the Grey Tank, i empty the tank and the valve reseated itself by suction.
B and B
2013 Rockwood 8289 Diamond Edition
GY D's/2.5 inch lift kit/Powerhouse 4 KW EFI Generator
2016 Ford F 350 Lariat Power Stroke Diesel Crew Cab FX4
2008 Golden Falcon 380PA Park Model Model

"Oh Canada,True North Strong and Free!"
B and B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 10:18 PM   #16
Had same problem in new Coachmen this fall. Gas odor but not enough to set off propane alarm. Last placed checked was the stove. Slight leak at the fitting. When I disconnected the hose, found that the cone end of fitting had two deep scores on the face. Replaced the fitting and problem solved.

Pops and Nana P.
2015 Coachmen Catalina 263 RLS
50th Anniversary Edition
2004 F-150 Supercrew 5.4L, 3.73 Diff.
pops p is offline   Reply With Quote