Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2016, 11:51 AM   #21

Pigtail

Checking the pigtail is a good suggestion, I've had two of them go bad both in cold weather.
traindrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 12:02 PM   #22

I had both pigtails go bad after putting gauges on the tanks (bad idea). Replaced both and that solved the problem. One other thing to check for is a crimped line somewhere.
2018 F250 Lariat (ok but I miss my F150)

Getting old ain't for wimps!!!
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 12:03 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
You may have activated the flow control safety valve. If the gas lines are empty and you turn on a tank quickly, the safety valve activates and shuts off the gas. Shut the valve Disconnect the propane line and let it sit for a few minutes. Reconnect then slowly open the valve ( especially the initial 1/4 turn) and allow a slow flow of propane to fill and pressurize the line.
StoneyG, Flybob has the identification to your problem (or at least, this is what happened with mine)

What Flybob has described above is what solved my issue as the flow control safety valve in the pigtail is what was activating with my road side tank. I now solve it a little quicker:

- first extinguish all sources of spark/flame
- wear gloves / eye protection
- close off the tank valve
- loosen off the pigtail connection (large green knob in my case)
- open tank valve (no propane should flow because of the tanks own built-in safety valve)
- while tank is open, slowly screw in large green knob until you hear a quick spurt of propane (PFFFST)
- stop immediately screwing in green knob
- close tank valve
- loosen green knob 1/4 turn
- open tank valve SLOWLY about 1/2 turn
- tighten green knob slowly until PFFFST is heard again, then completely tighten green valve
- slowly open tank valve another 1/2 turn, then open fully all the way

It's at this point I go inside to my farthest propane appliance from the tank (stove) and light a burner to test full flow of propane. *Usually* this process will work and I'm off and cooking with gas. I will only run off that tank until it's low, then manually switch the auto-switchover valve to the curbside tank.

Just a solution that works for me. Please be sure to extinguish all sources of ignition before trying this. Although there is only a very small PFFFST of propane, there is still a chance....

J.
jcrayford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 12:24 PM   #24

Agree with B and B on the bad pigtail.
BBBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 02:49 PM   #25

I have the same issue. Changed out the auto regulator and red regulator, no help. Noticed that the pigtail on the road side did not have a check valve but the other side did. Also the 8' hose from the red regulator to the auto regulator has a check valve in it at the auto regulator end. Would have made more sense if the check valves were attached to the auto regulator and not the hoses. I sent my 5er back to the service dept for them to fix.
timerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 03:27 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray and Ann View Post
Just an additional comment that with our TT, I have never gotten the automatic changeover to work properly. Almost always, the first tank will empty and suddenly nothing works; the valve is set for automatic changeover, but the second tank is full and nothing happens. I have to physically switch tanks in order to get things to work. At least one campground operator, when I was buying LP and mentioned this, said that in his experience the automatic changeover valves almost never worked.

Does anyone know of an automatic changeover valve that is actually reliable and does what it's supposed to do?

Buy one that Fisher on it. Problem solved.

On mine I had to turn on and walk away for like 30 minutes. It will finds its happy place. The changeover takes forever when you are waiting.

I will never admit this...when I think about it I would turn on the bottles way ahead of time. Worked every time for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 08:53 PM   #27

Bad pigtail. Happened on my previous TT. I replaced the pigtail and all was good. seems that one of the inner "layers" of the rubber hose has been breached. When the void between layers fills with propane, it plugs up the flow. That's why it works "sometimes".....it may be just a small breach and takes awhile to balloon the inner layer to the point of blocking the flow.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 07:19 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
Buy one that Fisher on it. Problem solved.

On mine I had to turn on and walk away for like 30 minutes. It will finds its happy place. The changeover takes forever when you are waiting.

I will never admit this...when I think about it I would turn on the bottles way ahead of time. Worked every time for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
When we first got the RV I kept both bottles open and they switched over without any problem. I just got in the habit of checking for green or red on the regulator once a week. I'd love to get back to that.

BTW, our regulator is a Fisher.
StoneyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 03:00 PM   #29

j Crayford, when you say "extinguish aii sources of ignition before trying this " do you mean extinguish all pilot lites? Sometimes we get enough propane to run fridge and stove top but other times, it seems that only the freezer works, not the fridge and very minimal propane to stove top, with great difficulty even lighting burners.
2015 Roo 21BD-L'ABode
lablover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 03:32 PM   #30
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Pig tail....
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 03:37 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by lablover View Post
j Crayford, when you say "extinguish aii sources of ignition before trying this " do you mean extinguish all pilot lites? Sometimes we get enough propane to run fridge and stove top but other times, it seems that only the freezer works, not the fridge and very minimal propane to stove top, with great difficulty even lighting burners.
Hi Lablover,

What I meant by this was to issue a "general" disclaimer, hoping that it would be common knowledge to not have an open flame/spark nearby when playing with a small "PHFFFSSST" of propane from the tanks. Ideally, I'm hoping that there wouldn't be anyone attempting something like this with a cigar/cigarette hanging from their mouths? But stranger things have happened....

J.
jcrayford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 03:52 PM   #32
Left Coast

You can't fix stupid....

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Old 06-22-2016, 04:28 PM   #33

J, We have tried this 5 times. We get the first PHFFFSST but not the second one. Darn, I had high hopes for this solution. Thanks
2015 Roo 21BD-L'ABode
Old 06-22-2016, 04:30 PM   #34
Left Coast

Remove pigtail, both ends, and try to blow through it...

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Old 06-24-2016, 10:48 AM   #35

OK, we are back in business. After trying all of the suggested quick fixes to no avail, we replaced the regulator and it's all good. Thanks for your help.
2015 Roo 21BD-L'ABode
Old 06-28-2016, 06:44 PM   #36

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Good news. Thanks for letting us all know!
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 02:04 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Learjet View Post
There is legal requirement to run the High pressure propane thru a secondary regulator to go to the other side of the trailer on a 5th wheel. Common setup on 5th wheels.

To answer the OP, had the same issue...changed the pigtail, red regulator and then found it was a bad check valve on the switch over regulator. Right where the hose attaches from the driver side bottle to the change over regulator there is a check valve.
These check valves are known to fail frequently. I've had 2 fail in one year, on the same side of the switch over regulator, the one from the driver side.

Fred n Wilma
2017 Ford F-150 EcoBoost
2015 Crusader 295RST
Fred H. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas, tank