Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2016, 07:36 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
StoneyG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 211
Gas won't flow from 2nd tank

Actually it does flow sometimes, sometimes not at all or sometimes with low pressure. My setup has two 30# tanks, one on each side. On the curb side there is a main auto changeover valve and regulator. The road side has the other tank and a secondary regulator. I'm on the third secondary regulator. When the new one's have been installed and tested they worked alright. But after awhile I'll turn on the stove and get nothing or very low flame. In a couple of hours it may be normal again. I use the gas side of the hot water heater and it may be on or not when pressure drops. I now keep the roadside bottle turned off and when the other bottle is empty switch bottles. Three service dealers have not been able to find the problem. Maybe someone on the forum has had a similar problem, unless all three secondary regulators have been bad.

Thanks,
__________________

__________________
StoneyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 07:58 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Broadway Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Fort Worth
Posts: 469
If you have a main change over valve and regulator, why are you using a secondary regulator? you shouldn't be using two regulators in series. Maybe I'm not understanding your situation and a picture would help.
__________________

__________________
Joe
2015 Wildwood 27RKSS
2015 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
Broadway Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 08:07 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
StoneyG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by joenic53 View Post
If you have a main change over valve and regulator, why are you using a secondary regulator? you shouldn't be using two regulators in series. Maybe I'm not understanding your situation and a picture would help.
I bought the RV in February and it came with the second, smaller regulator in the compartment that does not have the auto changeover and main regulator. I asked one of the repairing dealers why it had two and he gave me an answer that made sense to me at the time, but I don't remember what the reason was. I do have the sense that the setup is common. I don't have pictures but the setup is as described, one larger regulator with auto changeover valve in one compartment and a smaller just regulator in the other.

Thanks,
__________________
StoneyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 08:07 PM   #4
Site Team
 
Flybob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 4,081
You may have activated the flow control safety valve. If the gas lines are empty and you turn on a tank quickly, the safety valve activates and shuts off the gas. Shut the valve Disconnect the propane line and let it sit for a few minutes. Reconnect then slowly open the valve ( especially the initial 1/4 turn) and allow a slow flow of propane to fill and pressurize the line.
__________________

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 65W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 08:10 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
B and B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Wilmot Twp, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 7,935
Hello,

Is the secondary regulator painted red? Has 10 psi out?
__________________
B and B
2017 Heartland Bighorn 3575 Elite
2016 Ford F 350 Lariat Power Stroke Diesel Crew Cab FX4

"Oh Canada,True North Strong and Free!"
B and B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 08:10 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Learjet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by joenic53 View Post
If you have a main change over valve and regulator, why are you using a secondary regulator? you shouldn't be using two regulators in series. Maybe I'm not understanding your situation and a picture would help.
There is legal requirement to run the High pressure propane thru a secondary regulator to go to the other side of the trailer on a 5th wheel. Common setup on 5th wheels.

To answer the OP, had the same issue...changed the pigtail, red regulator and then found it was a bad check valve on the switch over regulator. Right where the hose attaches from the driver side bottle to the change over regulator there is a check valve.
__________________
-2013 Ford F250 XLT 2wd Crew Cab 6.2 with 3.73
-2015 Wildcat 317RL
-B&W Patriot 18k, MorRyde, Timbrens
Learjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 08:13 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
B and B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Wilmot Twp, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 7,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneyG View Post
I bought the RV in February and it came with the second, smaller regulator in the compartment that does not have the auto changeover and main regulator. I asked one of the repairing dealers why it had two and he gave me an answer that made sense to me at the time, but I don't remember what the reason was. I do have the sense that the setup is common. I don't have pictures but the setup is as described, one larger regulator with auto changeover valve in one compartment and a smaller just regulator in the other.

Thanks,
Codes state you can not run full tank pressure over long runs for safety. The secondary regulator is 10 psi out feeds the other regulator with the switch over on the curb side. The system for all appliances runs on 11 inches of water column which is pretty low pressure.
__________________
B and B
2017 Heartland Bighorn 3575 Elite
2016 Ford F 350 Lariat Power Stroke Diesel Crew Cab FX4

"Oh Canada,True North Strong and Free!"
B and B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 08:14 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
StoneyG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
You may have activated the flow control safety valve. If the gas lines are empty and you turn on a tank quickly, the safety valve activates and shuts off the gas. Shut the valve Disconnect the propane line and let it sit for a few minutes. Reconnect then slowly open the valve ( especially the initial 1/4 turn) and allow a slow flow of propane to fill and pressurize the line.
I have tried that on a freshly filled tank when I turned it on and got no pressure. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. But, for instance, I've been running off the roadside tank for a couple of weeks using the hot water heater and stove. After that period of time the lines would have been pressurized unless there was a leak and that's been checked.

Thanks,
__________________
StoneyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 08:17 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
StoneyG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Learjet View Post
There is legal requirement to run the High pressure propane thru a secondary regulator to go to the other side of the trailer on a 5th wheel. Common setup on 5th wheels.

To answer the OP, had the same issue...changed the pigtail, red regulator and then found it was a bad check valve on the switch over regulator. Right where the hose attaches from the driver side bottle to the change over regulator there is a check valve.
Thank you. I'll take a look in the morning.
__________________
StoneyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 08:20 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
B and B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Wilmot Twp, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 7,935
Just a thought, swap the pig tails in case the shut off valve is one of the pig tails is bad.
__________________

__________________
B and B
2017 Heartland Bighorn 3575 Elite
2016 Ford F 350 Lariat Power Stroke Diesel Crew Cab FX4

"Oh Canada,True North Strong and Free!"
B and B is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
gas, tank

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:13 AM.