Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2015, 01:02 PM   #1

Question Heat Only Coming From One Vent

I hope this is the right place to post this question. If there are already threads on this, feel free to link me since I've missed them!

I have a 2014 Forest River Wildcat Maxx, and the heat is only coming out of the vent under the kitchen counter, under the drawers in the peninsula. The vents close by seem to have some heat barely trickling out, but none of the other vents are working.

Does anyone have any advice? Thank you so much in advance for whatever help is offered!
Jemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 11:00 AM   #2
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
had a similar problem with my furnace, but differant trailer. had good heat from register closest to furnace but progressive less further down the line. after cutting an access hole in underbelly, found 2 ducts with large holes where they passed the galley tank. factory guys had smashed hoses when installing underbelly. fix was a trip to home depot for 2 25foot new hoses and replacing complete hoses with longer ones so they weren't streched so tight around cornors.
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 11:20 AM   #3

I also have the wildcatt maxx and I had same issue as you only in the bedroom. Everywhere else worked fine. i found a smashed hose where it split off from the bathroom. gotta love the forest river workers that get in a rush. A few bucks at home depot fixed that problem.

Doug and Toni & Penny
2014 Wildcat Maxx T28RLS TT
2013 Silverado Z71 5.3L 3.42gears
Nites Camped 2015: 21
S1LV3R4D0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 01:40 PM   #4

So for someone who knows nothing about this stuff, what part of my trailer to I take apart to look at all that ducting? It seems like I'd have to take the whole thing apart...
Old 03-14-2015, 07:00 PM   #5
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
I took a box cutter and slit the bottom cover just enough to create a peek door starting where i though the ducting at the furnace should be connected and checked it out with a flash light. After following the hose routing i did the same trap door where the hose dissapeared on the other side on the trailer. THERE, is where i found my problem..... 2 hoses torn with BIG holes where it passed by the galley tank. Hose being limber, tape wasn't sticking very good, i cut one more door where the hose was good. At home depot they have tin 4" connectors for joining 2 together, and better hose, thicker, so i cut original and joined new, duct taping both to the tin.... first one, then the other, and routed the hoses back to furnace leaving extra hose so it wouldn't be so tight around tank. Then, for lack of a better way at the time, i drilled holes into both {door} and covering every so often and used zip ties to secure door flaps back up. It's not like the bottom is a strucurual member, just a way to hide sloppy work.
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 02:05 AM   #6

Thank you for the suggestions guys! I had a friend come take things apart and fix it for me.
Old 03-17-2015, 09:04 AM   #7

What was the problem? might be helpful info for others that come looking to know what was wrong and how it was repaired.

Doug and Toni & Penny
Old 03-17-2015, 11:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by S1LV3R4D0 View Post
What was the problem? might be helpful info for others that come looking to know what was wrong and how it was repaired.
You're right - I typed that out in a hurry and didn't even think to share!

He took one of the drawers out of the kitchen peninsula to access the ducting. One of the hoses was totally disconnected and just heating up the inside of the drawers. He opened up a couple other vents around the trailer and found one more disconnected hose. So fixing those got the heat distributed around the main area and eliminated the fire hazard under my cupboard.

He never found the reason no air was getting to the bedroom, but I suspect it might be somewhere that's not easily accessible. So we just left that one alone.
Old 03-18-2015, 07:38 AM   #9

Very kewl!!! at least you got air around the most part working. Maybe on a down day work on tackling the bedroom. But still, warmth will be had!!

Doug and Toni & Penny

Tags
vent