Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2016, 03:39 PM   #1

Heater and A/C vents dont work

Recently bought a 2016 Palomino Solaire 229 BHS from Camping World. First of all when we bought it things weren't even hooked up. The heater itself didn't even have the wires attached to it to start running in the first place plus a laundry list of other things. I have gotten most of those things fixed but they can't figure out why the AC vents have basically no air flow coming through them and the heater vents have no airflow what so ever coming out of them. They took the panels off to show me that the heater vents are connected but when you turn the heater on nothing comes through the vents. The AC when you shut the main AC vent should come out of the smaller ones up top and does not. The repair shop Tech I was talking to basically Shrugged her shoulders so not sure where to go from here. It's hard because I live in Fairbanks so I don't have many options for repair techs. Any help would be fantastic. Thanks
Benzo719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 03:47 PM   #2
Site Team

On the furnace, take the duct(s) loose at the unit and see if the knock-outs have been removed. If they have, fire up the furnace and see how much air comes out the discharges. If the blower is putting out plenty of air then you either have a plugged up duct or it's disconnected somewhere in the underbelly (I'm assuming you have an enclosed underbelly). You may have to remove some of the covering to find where it's blocked or unhooked.

As for the A/C, Pull the grill off and take an inspection mirror and see how for you can see down the ducts. There could be a piece of Styrofoam or something blocking them.
Old 05-31-2016, 03:51 PM   #3

Ok. The furnace kicks out grade air at the main port where it's mounted but none at the event. I'll take off the panel to check for those knockouts. I have a feeling it's disconnected somewhere underneath. You can see the Vans going almost all the way to the bathroom vent look hooked up but you can't see the rest. Good idea on the mirror in the vents for the AC. Thank you very much
Old 05-31-2016, 03:53 PM   #4

Dang talk text. Great*air. Vent*
Old 05-31-2016, 04:08 PM   #5
Site Team

Are you saying that the furnace blows air out the intake grill? If so, something is hooked up wrong?
Old 05-31-2016, 04:14 PM   #6

No. Directly next to the large Square intake Grill is a circular vent. That is where all of the air blows out right now. There are two floor vents and one next to the bathtub that don't blow anything. Unless that circular vent is the intake but I don't think so
Old 06-01-2016, 07:41 AM   #7
Site Team

That circular vent is an outlet.

Is it on a duct by itself?

Since that vent is blowing air, the duct to the floor/bath vents is either crushed or disconnected.
Old 06-01-2016, 10:18 AM   #8

Yes it is. Is it possible that it is just some kind of huge design flaw because that vent is so close to the unit itself all the air goes out that event instead of working its way through the ducts? Either way sounds like I still need to get some of the bottom Material off of the trailer to check if those ducks are connected or crushed or anything. Same with the AC vents. The thing is brand new so I would hope they would do that at a repair shop and Forest River pay for it
Old 06-01-2016, 11:31 AM   #9
Site Team

It will usually be treated as a warranty item, but most of us find that's it's better and easier to fix things ourselves than to deal with FR and the dealer trying to get things fixed.

Have you tried closing off the one vent and seeing if air goes to the others?
Old 06-01-2016, 01:01 PM   #10

Yes I agree. Dealing with Forest River and the warranty work has been an extreme hassle. That's a fantastic idea. I'm going to do that this afternoon. Thanks again for seeing me through this and talking me through. Better than anyone through Forest River would do
Old 06-01-2016, 02:02 PM   #11
Dahagen

Never buy a unit without going through the PDI (pre-delivery inspection) with the dealer! That way you know everything works before the take it off the lot. That's not to say things won't go wrong later.
dahagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 02:29 PM   #12

My new unit did not have any air coming out of the duct work in the ceiling when I got it new. Called the dealer and they told me to take the cover off of the air unit and look to see if they had taped the opening to the duct work with silver tape. Yep they sure did, I took a knife and cut out the opening and had lots of air blowing out of the vents then. The service guy told me this happens once in a while. Great quality control.

Larry W8PO & Lori N8IHJ and Louie the wonder dog
2014 Surveyor Cadet 265RLDS
2015 GMC Denali HD
Ham Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 02:40 PM   #13

Ok will try that. Thanks!
Old 06-01-2016, 02:42 PM   #14

I have had the cover off and not seen anything. The duck work is kind of tough to hire and behind the unit so it's hard to see but I will take a mirror or something and check it out
Old 06-01-2016, 04:27 PM   #15

Take all the A/C vents off. Shine a light or?? in the hole then take a small mirror and put it in the next vent hole and look for the light then the next and so on. if they are all open look for the disconnect.
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 05:07 PM   #16

Ok. Good idea. Thanks
Old 06-01-2016, 05:50 PM   #17

Sounds like a furnace switch while on the lot. If the furnace was not connected. If they threw in a new one and you have floor ducted heat , the best guess is they did not take out the square knock out at the bottom of the furnace. The furnaces are designed for use with vent tubing OR floor ducting. If it's Hydro Flame it's usually used with flexible ducting.
hillsdaletc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 07:16 PM   #18

So how do I get to the bottom of the furnace to see if that is still there? Is that something that needs to be done from underneath the camper or can it be done from inside?
Old 06-01-2016, 07:33 PM   #19

I am having very similar concerns with my new Hemisphere 368rlbhk. Very poor heat flowing from the vents and next to none from the AC too. My furnace will run all night and never catch up even on 50+ degree night. I am having a hard time finding anything wrong with it. All ducts I can get to are attached and not horribly pinched but there must still be something I am missing. I tried to drop the lower cover but it is attached with some stupid tamper proof bolts. I have my unit on a seasonal site and don't want to haul it to the dealer unless I have to. I will have to check the AC ducts for the tape...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1464827416894.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	109822   Click image for larger version

Name:	1464827435257.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	109823  
AudiOnly101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 07:39 PM   #20

I was trying to attach a picture earlier but couldn't figure out how to do it. Sounds like a thermostat problem why it won't shut off. Hopefully we can figure out why those ducts arent getting any air flow. I'll of course post if I find anything with mine

Tags
heater, vent