Old 12-01-2013, 11:48 AM   #1
cbauch

Hot water heater

Ok, both propane tanks are empty......my dsi light is red...i want to run it on electric. The switch on the inside panel is on, and the on/off switch is on outside of the hot water unit. I still getting cold water. Any suggestions.

Old 12-01-2013, 11:51 AM   #2

Turn the breaker off and back on to make sure it's not tripped. If you've ever had it turned on without water in the tank the element is burned out.

Did you have not water when you had propane? Could the bypass valves be set to bypass the water heater?

Old 12-01-2013, 11:56 AM   #3
cbauch

Ok first i will tell you, i'm female and the place i bought the rv came out to set it up. And did not show me anything about the hot water heater. I had hot water this morning until the last tank ran out of propane. And they filled the tank with water, they did tell him that and i have been fine for the last 3 months until this morning when the second tank ran out. My neighbors told me that i could run it on electric alone. But it's not happening. So i do have a question. So they filled it with water, so do i ever have to add water? Sorry, this is all new to me. And my husband is over seas, so i have to ask for help from others. Thank you
Old 12-01-2013, 12:09 PM   #4

How long has it been since you turned the electric side of the HW heater on? It takes longer to heat the water on electric then propane.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 12:16 PM   #5
cbauch

Well now its been about 20 min. I will test the water again. I did not know that it took longer. I have a gfi problem too in the bathroom, it won't reset. And the outlet is what runs the refrigerator too, so i have been down with that since thanksgiving day and all my food is gone to the garbage. Will be calling the rv place back on monday to get their butts out here for that. Thank you for your help. Will test water again
Old 12-01-2013, 12:22 PM   #6

The water heater is plumbed in just like in a house. It fills from the cold water lines.

Please tell us us year/make/model of RV you have. (It would be best to put this into your Profile and/or Signature, available in the UserCP link in the green bar in the top part of the screen.)

If it's still under warranty and you've reset the circuit breaker as I suggested above, then it sounds like you've done it all correctly and you need to have the dealer come back out and fix it.

Tags
heater, hot water, water, water heater