Old 08-23-2014, 04:40 PM   #1

Hot Water Heater pilot will not light

Having trouble with my Suburban hot water heater. I can hear the gas valve opening but I have no spark. I followed the ignitor back to a control box, it's warm to the touch so must be getting power to it. I assume I should be hearing the ignitor arcing to make spark but nothing. Suggestions? Works fine in electric mode. Thanks.

Old 08-23-2014, 05:24 PM   #2

I note this is your first post here so I bid thee welcome from SW Idaho.

Does your stove light?

If not then turn the gas off, now reopen the valve very slow, like molasses in January and then try to light the stove to purge air in the lines.

Old 08-23-2014, 06:29 PM   #3

not gass

I'm sure it's not gas related. I hear the gas valve open and smell gas. I can also manually light the gas but it goes out after a few seconds. I'm thinking electrical but not sure.
Old 08-23-2014, 07:04 PM   #4
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angulator View Post
I'm sure it's not gas related. I hear the gas valve open and smell gas. I can also manually light the gas but it goes out after a few seconds. I'm thinking electrical but not sure.
Suspect the sparker and thermocouple are not positioned correctly. Look in the instructions for the 3 measurements. It is an arduous procedure, but it is well worth doing. Mine was wrong from the factory. Took about 20 minutes to get all 3 measurements correct at the same time. Haven't had a problem since.

BTW, the thermocouple has to stay hot to keep the gas valve open.
Old 08-23-2014, 07:11 PM   #5

Not sure about this. It looks to me like the sparker is the thermocoupler. It's all one unit. and nothing in the instructions regarding position of igniter. Appreciate the input though.
Old 08-23-2014, 07:17 PM   #6
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angulator View Post
Not sure about this. It looks to me like the sparker is the thermocoupler. It's all one unit. and nothing in the instructions regarding position of igniter. Appreciate the input though.
Page 12.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Suburban Water Heater Manual.pdf (3.60 MB, 41 views)
Old 08-23-2014, 07:25 PM   #7

There was a thread a few days ago where it was posted that a bad ground wire was the problem, you may want to look that over.

Check the terminal ends and any screws make sure they are tight and rust free
Old 08-24-2014, 12:38 AM   #8

I'm leaning towards thinking I need a new circuit board. I have power to the board. I have gas being sent, but no spark. I can manually light during this event but it does not stay lit. This is a two year old unit. No rust or corrosion. I'm not able to put a meter on it to test voltage. Hate to spend $100 on a new board but I don't really want a service bill either.
Old 09-03-2014, 12:03 AM   #9

It was the board

Had the circuit board tested and it was faulty. Replaced it with an after market board and it fired right up.

Tags
heater, hot water, light, water, water heater