Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2014, 07:03 PM   #1

hot water system

hello from down under. having an issue with our suburban sw6de hot water system in our wildwood.
we've always ran it on gas since owning (didn't know it had ac power until recently). anyways, the other week it would just not fire up on gas, turn it on, tick tick tick, the igniter is working great, but there is just no gas coming through the solenoid to the jet.
is there a common problem with the solenoids on there? a way to test them?

just thought I would ask for some ideas before I take the tools out. was going to remove the pipe with the juet 1st from under the solenoid to make sure it isn't blocked. then remove the solenoids.

luckily I read about the ac switch so we still have hot water while we are parked up.

thanks.
JohnW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 09:14 PM   #2

Sometimes, A stout blast of air pointed to the orifice of the gas line can clear out dust & cob webs that may form

Sent by me
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 09:31 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
hello from down under. having an issue with our suburban sw6de hot water system in our wildwood.
we've always ran it on gas since owning (didn't know it had ac power until recently). anyways, the other week it would just not fire up on gas, turn it on, tick tick tick, the igniter is working great, but there is just no gas coming through the solenoid to the jet.
is there a common problem with the solenoids on there? a way to test them?

just thought I would ask for some ideas before I take the tools out. was going to remove the pipe with the juet 1st from under the solenoid to make sure it isn't blocked. then remove the solenoids.

luckily I read about the ac switch so we still have hot water while we are parked up.

thanks.
John, just to state the obvious, have you checked to make sure you are getting gas (ie the propane tank valves turned on, there is propane in the tank or tanks. etc). Have you successfully turned on the stove burners to makes sure there is no air in the lines, especially if you have recently changed tanks?

After a few unsuccessful attempts to light the propane, the propane Direct Spark Ignitor/DSI (the clicking you're hearing) actually locks out the propane gas supply. You have to turn the DSI (inside coach/RV) switch off, then on again after about 30 seconds to start the process over.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:10 PM   #4

We just bought a used 2001 Forest River Flagstaff, everything is working great except we can't get the hot water heater to light. I've found a few videos with out system, but they all have the piezo button that clicks when holding down the pilot button. The model is the SW69. There is an electric plug but the water doesn't get hot when its plugged in. We've check that we have power and the gas works, the furnace and stove work. Can anyone confirm if we should have this button or what is the way to light it please? We really want to go camp!!
MAGillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:25 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome MAGillian!

Are you sure that model says SW69? Suburban uses the SW codes, so it might be an SW6D, which has direct spark ignition.

Here's a manual if it is. Forest River Forums - Downloads - Water Heater - Suburban Operation

It sounds to me like you need to break out your multimeter to check if you are getting power to the switch and thermostat. Also, the element should be checked. They are inexpensive if a replacement is needed.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:32 PM   #6

found the issue on ours. the solenoid valve set-up that allows the gas through to the jet once turned on has a faulty electromagnetic coil (used some of my old auto electrical testing gear).
so far I have to buy the complete valve, even though the valve itself works fine. my cousin has a couple of old caravan gas hot water systems of different brands. I'm going to have a look at them and see what type of gas valve they use, if I can get just the little coil to put on my valve I'm sweet and will save a lot of $$$.
JohnW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 08:49 AM   #7

Hot water heater SW6D

Thanks for the help, turns out we just didn't know where/how to light the pilot. It takes a lighter. Works like a champ and we are ready to get on the road!!!
MAGillian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hot water, water