Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2017, 03:11 PM   #1

How to reliably operate LP appliances & genny

We are new to Rv life, but enjoy our 2017 2401ws.
We have a recurring problem that we cant seem to fix on a permanent basis.
The HW heater, furnace, range, refrigerator, and generator have worked only 2 out of our first 3 trips, and they have worked when tested earlier 2 or 3 times. There is now no observable gas flow on the range; refrig check warning light comes on when put on LP, HW won't ignite the heater, furnace just blows cold air, but today I tried the generator 1st thing this morn and it went on for about 10 seconds then quit, and wouldn't restart.
I have been careful to turn the LP on slowly at the tank, and I have tried "clearing the line" by switching refrig on and off several times. I have also tried the on/off routine with the range, HW heater, and furnace. Tank is still half-full. Line is open.
I had taken the rv to an RV service center between our 1st and second trips because of the problem, but they said it was "nothing" and that the LP worked when they inspected it, and it worked fine on our last trip. Now, not so much.
Any help is appreciated.
zj178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 07:55 AM   #2

Try leaving the range on longer, until you hear gas coming out. I would also fill the LP tank up just to make sure tank is full.
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 08:10 AM   #3

You do have to light the stove for a few seconds to purge. If really cold out, the propane will be consumed faster from liquid to gaseous state to maintain the regulated 11.5" W.C.( or about .5 p.s.i) than it would at say 60 degrees. You may desire to feed off of both tanks to facilitate this characteristic of lp
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 08:12 AM   #4
Site Team

When the service techs tested the propane system did they actually test the system pressure? It should be 11" WC (water column). And should maintain that pressure when an appliance is on.
Old 10-23-2017, 08:20 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by zj178 View Post
We are new to Rv life, but enjoy our 2017 2401ws.
We have a recurring problem that we cant seem to fix on a permanent basis.
The HW heater, furnace, range, refrigerator, and generator have worked only 2 out of our first 3 trips, and they have worked when tested earlier 2 or 3 times. There is now no observable gas flow on the range; refrig check warning light comes on when put on LP, HW won't ignite the heater, furnace just blows cold air, but today I tried the generator 1st thing this morn and it went on for about 10 seconds then quit, and wouldn't restart.
I have been careful to turn the LP on slowly at the tank, and I have tried "clearing the line" by switching refrig on and off several times. I have also tried the on/off routine with the range, HW heater, and furnace. Tank is still half-full. Line is open.
I had taken the rv to an RV service center between our 1st and second trips because of the problem, but they said it was "nothing" and that the LP worked when they inspected it, and it worked fine on our last trip. Now, not so much.
Any help is appreciated.
You could have a bad regulator, or just now be simply out of propane with a faulty gauge.

I am assuming you have a MBS Forester with the model number you stated, so I also assume the propane cylinder(s) are built in.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 12:51 PM   #6

I too have a Forester MBS 2401WS. My gas would not flow in cold weather. Replacing the regulator (under warranty) fixed it.
bob5560g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 03:22 PM   #7

How to reliably operate LP appliances & genny

Thanks for all replies. Will do as suggested, and will make sure the water column test is done as well.

Phil & Joanne
zj178 is offline   Reply With Quote