Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2018, 06:32 PM   #1

I keep destroying my secondary regulator

I have a 2014 Wildcat 317RL with two 30 pound tanks, one on each side of the rv. I usually only have to fill my tanks once a year so I use very little propane. I generally keep the main regulator selector on the curb side tank but when it runs out the regulator on the street side tank fails. What is going on? This is the fourth regulator that has been on this unit in just five seasons. They can't be that bad.
I am looking for answers or suggestions to not have to deal with propane outage in the middle of the night in sub freezing temps.

Thanks
Jim
Old 10-16-2018, 08:13 AM   #2

I have not seen your system with two separate regulators and only one selector switch. Are you keeping both bottles open. I believe what I would do if you actually have two regulators is switch to a single auto change over regulator and longer pig tails so that you have one regulator controlling the system.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 08:24 AM   #3
Pickin', Campin', Mason

I'm starting to experience the same issue on my 2016 8529IKBS.

Been through two and this last one isn't leaking but doesn't flow enough propane to run the furnace and the water heater at the same time. Switch to the main side and all is OK.

Both of mine were Fairview brand.
I'll be looking for a different manufacturer.

SeaDog... the reason for the second regulator is DOT regulations say when you run a long flex hose from the 2nd tank across the R/V to where the switch-over regulator is positioned at the main tank, the hose must be lower pressure than tank pressure. These red regulators do that.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 08:43 AM   #4

thanks for the info I did not know that this is a good day learned something.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 09:09 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post

Been through two and this last one isn't leaking but doesn't flow enough propane to run the furnace and the water heater at the same time. Switch to the main side and all is OK.

SeaDog... the reason for the second regulator is DOT regulations say when you run a long flex hose from the 2nd tank across the R/V to where the switch-over regulator is positioned at the main tank, the hose must be lower pressure than tank pressure. These red regulators do that.

Those second regulators are supposed to be red? The one one ours is grey, like a normal regulator. I've always wondered how it was supposed to work, having a regulator on one line feeding into an auto-changeover regulator at the other bottle.
Old 10-16-2018, 09:48 AM   #6

I have not had one leak yet but like I stated above this is the third one I have replaced not counting the factory unit. I keep both bottles open and have tried the selector on the bottle with the second regulator thinking that might keep the regulator from plugging but that didn't help either. Would it be legal to run black iron from one tank across the rv and then terminate with a pigtail to the tank and selector regulator?
Old 10-16-2018, 10:02 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:

I swapped tanks on my Wildcat and got no propane from my off-side/secondary regulator. My problem turned out to be a check valve which failed in the closed position. It was installed between the long crossover hose and the main regulator. I replaced it and all was well.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 10:02 AM   #8
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
Those second regulators are supposed to be red? The one one ours is grey, like a normal regulator. I've always wondered how it was supposed to work, having a regulator on one line feeding into an auto-changeover regulator at the other bottle.
Not sure they HAVE to be red but most are I've seen or at least have some red on them. Looking online, I believe the Sturgis brand might be all grey. I might order one of those to see if I have better luck.

They simply lower tank pressure in the feed line from the 2nd tank to the main regulator to about 30 PSI from roughly 250 psi of the tank. The main regulator then provides the rest of the regulation. The first stage of the main regulator lowers the psi to about 10-15 psi and then the 2nd stage to 11" of water column.

Old 10-16-2018, 10:09 AM   #9
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
I swapped tanks on my Wildcat and got no propane from my off-side/secondary regulator. My problem turned out to be a check valve which failed in the closed position. It was installed between the long crossover hose and the main regulator. I replaced it and all was well.
Thanks, I'll look into that as well.

Old 10-16-2018, 10:16 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Thanks, I'll look into that as well.
Good!
I quoted your post mainly because of your good explanation of the need for that secondary regulator. I’ve read here (must be true) that without that secondary regulator turning on the offside valve would fill the empty long hose so quickly, the safety valve in the offside tank would close. Dunno for sure!

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 10:17 AM   #11

I have had both colors and both fail.
We were using the camper this weekend, the low was expected to be down to 12F degrees. I wake up about midnight realizing I have not heard the furnace kick on for a while. I get up, get dressed and go out and switch the tanks. All is good. I would really like to find a fix so I don't have to get up in the middle of the night in cold weather. I guess the safe thing is to put a gauge on the tank and switch when they get low.
Old 10-16-2018, 10:44 AM   #12

Mine has same setup with second regulator. I had problems drawing from one tank and assumed it was the main regulator. I bought a new one (Mr. Heater) but still had issues after install. It would stay red on the indicator. I bought a Marshall 2-stage and found the secondary regulator and bought a new one (new one is red and old one was the gray pot metal looking color). Still had issues. So, I bought new pigtails. Still not fixed. I found the long propane hose (11 ft.) from the small regulator to the main 2-stage was bad and leaking. Terrible time finding a replacement. Another forum member suggested Propanegear.com So I looked up their site and called and ordered a custom made hose like what I had. Not expensive and fast delivery. Problem solved. Yes, I had eventually replaced everything including the 2 - 30lb propane tanks as they were dated and I could not get them refilled any longer. Inspect everything and when in doubt replace it all (my 2 cents) best of luck
OKI Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 01:17 PM   #13
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepman71 View Post
I have had both colors and both fail.
We were using the camper this weekend, the low was expected to be down to 12F degrees. I wake up about midnight realizing I have not heard the furnace kick on for a while. I get up, get dressed and go out and switch the tanks. All is good. I would really like to find a fix so I don't have to get up in the middle of the night in cold weather. I guess the safe thing is to put a gauge on the tank and switch when they get low.
Well you really shouldn't have to physically switch the tanks as that is the job of the change-over regulator. (providing BOTH valves are open)

Mine switched flawlessly until they (the red regulators) started leaking then I had issues after replacement.

My SOB 5th wheel before this one worked many years switching over and the red regulator never failed. I think stuff just isn't made to as good of standards today. Not sure what we can do about that.

Old 10-16-2018, 01:34 PM   #14

As noted previously, the offside regulator is usually red and is always a 30psi regulator. It is there to reduce the pressure to the hose that goes all the the way across to the main regulator.

This long hose is 300psi, same as the pigtail hoses, so why does it really require the secondary regulator? The little check valves in the pigtails and the secondary regulator have only been required for 8 years or so when the safety rules changed.

I grew tired of constantly replacing the little check valves and the secondary regulator. So I removed them entirely and now my system is exactly the same as all my previous fivers. No more problems for the last five years.

Sometimes safety regulations introduce more problems than they address.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 02:00 PM   #15

Are you sure the regulator is bad? The newer LPG tanks have OPD valves that have a built in safety, and will not allow the gas to flow if not depressed. The nipple from the regulator must push it in to release the gas. If the regulator is not properly connected to the tank you will not get gas and assume you have a regulator problem. With fifth wheels not giving much flexibility in the connecting lines, it makes it hard to get proper alignment. I work at a welding supply company, and we get this problem fro RVers and BBQ grills all the time.
jandacamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 05:57 PM   #16

I'm not sure it is bad yet, I have not checked it. The same thing has happened this time as the previous three times.
Old 10-16-2018, 07:54 PM   #17

Had the same repeated issue and got tired of it.

I replaced mine with an adjustable 0-60 PSI regulator and has worked flawlessly since then.

https://gashosesandregulators.com/Hi...-Regulators/45 is identical to what I got.
TranceX2 is offline   Reply With Quote