Old 03-30-2016, 09:24 AM   #1
Initial furnace use setting off smoke detector

We have a new Catalina 333RETS and during initial use of furnace, the smoke detector went off. Is this simply some dust burning of or is there some other procedure we should take? I've read somewhere to run the A/C fan when using the furnace.

runnerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 09:39 AM   #2
Runnerguy, That is normal. It takes a little while to burn off the dust plus the "New" of the metals in the heater. Open the doors and windows and let it run for a while.

I set my a/c fan on low when using heater. You did not,say if you have a fireplace. We do and I use that mostly and then set the gas heat to keep the temp from falling below a set temp. A/C fan on low..

2016 Siverback 33IK
2015 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Super Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 12:42 PM   #3
Head Rambler
As dalford said, it 's pretty normal for the first few uses. It'll stop after a while.

Running the A/C fan on low to circulate the air better is a good idea.
Salem 29RKSS Pushing a 2500 Mega-Cab CTD!
Gotta go campin!
Bama Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 01:53 PM   #4
Moderators' Assistant
Dealer should have done this for you or informed you of it, during the PDI.
Dan-Retired Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
'07 Roo 23SS pushing an '07 Chevy Avalanche
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 04:04 PM   #5
Thank you all for the help.
runnerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 04:19 PM   #6
And every fall, or after not using the furnace for awhile, you will have a smell each time. Not a big deal but dust builds up and needs to be burned off, and does not last long. I try to run the furnace while stocking the camper for a trip, so I don't have to deal with it when I get to where I am going. I have never had the smoke alarm go off because of the furnace.
Golden CO
2016 Grey Wolf 26RR Limited
92 GMC K2500 454
2006 Honda Rubicon ATV
zuterbru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 11:53 PM   #7
Funny Story

On the first morning of our first night out in our new 5th wheel, it was cold. I turned on the furnace to take off the chill. A couple of minutes in, the smoke detector began blaring! We jumped out of bed and out the door we went. The neighbors got a good show.
I poked my head in the trailer to see how high the flames were, only to smell that oily, dusty stink that a new furnace will give off. The smell gave it away and we returned to the trailer, took the battery out of the smoke detector and hid inside for awhile. The neighbors in nearby rigs never mentioned it, but I know they were whispering, "Newbies."
QC Torpedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 08:24 PM   #8
World Wide Wanderer
ayup... gotta "burn-off" the new furnace stuff. Paint and oil from production. I always figure a couple of hours on high heat will take care of it. Open all the windows and vents and have at it. Some dealers will take care of it during PDI if they can. I live in the Deep South and in the summer you can't get the furnace to fire. Fortunately A/C doesn't stink when you fire it up!

Aaron & Rhonda
wahoonc & Airangel60

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote