Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2017, 09:12 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by TandSH View Post
I just had to have ours replaced yesterday. Was awakened at 3:30 AM a couple of weeks ago by the LP detector sounding off. Here is what it's all about...

The failed item is a high pressure regulator installed for the reasons explained by onetonford and NMWildcat. They also are supposed to have a high flow shutoff feature that will shut off the gas flow in the event of a system breach downstream like a severed hose or failed fitting, and thus need to be installed close to the remote tank. Residential tank regulators like these supply an 11" water column pressure to the low pressure regulator in your rig or residence.

I do not believe that there is any way the HPR could be damaged or otherwise affected by how the tank is serviced. Unfortunately there have been a spate of failures of these installed by all OEM's. The failure is a leak in the internal diaphragm which can be detected by gas flow from the vent hole in the body of the valve. My tech told me he even had a new replacement valve leak immediately when he replaced it for one that had failed. These are an approximate $20 component so don't get ripped off by a scare monger.
The regulators installed by FR are cheap pieces of junk obtained using the purchasing process they use for everything......the cheaper the better. On or 17 Roo the regulator locked up 3rd trip out. I could not even find a manufacturers name on it nor model number. The plastic knob and indicator for the changeover fell apart while I was removing it.

Do yourself a favor and replace it with a Marshall Excelsior and while your at it may as well get the high volume/flow model for $10 extra dollars. You will need to obtain or make a nanometer to double check the setting as you can't trust a new one to be set correctly to 11".
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 10:01 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
The regulators installed by FR are cheap pieces of junk obtained using the purchasing process they use for everything......the cheaper the better. On or 17 Roo the regulator locked up 3rd trip out. I could not even find a manufacturers name on it nor model number. The plastic knob and indicator for the changeover fell apart while I was removing it.

Do yourself a favor and replace it with a Marshall Excelsior and while your at it may as well get the high volume/flow model for $10 extra dollars. You will need to obtain or make a nanometer to double check the setting as you can't trust a new one to be set correctly to 11".
I believe that a high volume/flow high pressure regulator would be most inappropriate for RV for residential use. IIRC from what I have read that type of HPR operates at a higher pressure (?) and at a flow rate to support a 10,000,000 BTU service (think asphalt heaters, lumber dryers, etc). RV/residential high pressure regulators are made to support 100,000 BTU service flow rate at 11" WC pressure. That's a 100 fold difference in flow rate which negates having the regulator installed at all!

Caveat emptor
TandSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 10:24 AM   #23

Quote:
I believe that a high volume/flow high pressure regulator would be most inappropriate for RV for residential use. IIRC from what I have read that type of HPR operates at a higher pressure (?) and at a flow rate to support a 10,000,000 BTU service (think asphalt heaters, lumber dryers, etc). RV/residential high pressure regulators are made to support 100,000 BTU service flow rate at 11" WC pressure. That's a 100 fold difference in flow rate which negates having the regulator installed at all!

Caveat emptor
There is so much wrong with that statement I will bot even comment.
Old 03-26-2017, 01:03 PM   #24

Thanks guys, I gave $19 and change for the new one.

I was a little put off by the quality of the manufacture, I have to work hard to get 3 full turns on the tank side even after cleaning the threads on the hoses and just one wrap of the tape sealer.
Miles 6450
Super8mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 02:34 PM   #25

Quote:
There is so much wrong with that statement I will bot even comment.
That is LAME!

This is a thread about a piece of safety equipment that if misapplied could put people in danger. If my understanding of this subject is wrong then I am as interested as anyone in being corrected. If you have more pertinent information to share then please do so. Otherwise, ride your ego pony into the sunset.
Old 03-26-2017, 02:55 PM   #26

Quote:
That is LAME!

This is a thread about a piece of safety equipment that if misapplied could put people in danger. If my understanding of this subject is wrong then I am as interested as anyone in being corrected. If you have more pertinent information to share then please do so. Otherwise, ride your ego pony into the sunset.

Nothing lame about it, I suggested going with a high flow RV regulator, not a residential or commercial at 10 million BTUS that is something you could operate a boiler with.You came up with that. I did not know I had to be that specific since this is an RV forum.

Most supplied regulators from RV manufacturers are cheap generic junk rated somewhere in the neighborhood of 140000 to 160000 BTUS. Marshall makes high flows in a lot of BTU ratings. I replaced the generic 160K BTU rated generic junk on my Rockwood, with a 350K BTU model and now can run the furnace, stove, water heater and fridge all at the same time I have a 3, 90K each burner, Campchef stove operating with no noticeable loss at the stove.. 11" water column is 11" water column. Beyond the regulator, unless its defective, the pressure will be the same no matter if the regulators flow is rated 5 BTU or 5 million. 11" WC = 0.397 PSI.

Maybe you should educate yourself on LPG systems instead of contributing to LPG fear mongering.

I will try and not let my ego Pony crap in your yard
Old 03-26-2017, 06:25 PM   #27

Quote:
Nothing lame about it, I suggested going with a high flow RV regulator, not a residential or commercial at 10 million BTUS that is something you could operate a boiler with.You came up with that. I did not know I had to be that specific since this is an RV forum.

Most supplied regulators from RV manufacturers are cheap generic junk rated somewhere in the neighborhood of 140000 to 160000 BTUS. Marshall makes high flows in a lot of BTU ratings. I replaced the generic 160K BTU rated generic junk on my Rockwood, with a 350K BTU model and now can run the furnace, stove, water heater and fridge all at the same time I have a 3, 90K each burner, Campchef stove operating with no noticeable loss at the stove.. 11" water column is 11" water column. Beyond the regulator, unless its defective, the pressure will be the same no matter if the regulators flow is rated 5 BTU or 5 million. 11" WC = 0.397 PSI.

Maybe you should educate yourself on LPG systems instead of contributing to LPG fear mongering.

I will try and not let my ego Pony crap in your yard
You did not make any mention to an RV or residential regulator in you OP. I know what an 11"WC means and that has no relationship to flow.

No fear mongering here, just no BS, or in your case PS. Others need only to consult with a competent tech in analyzing and replacing defective LP regulators.

Be safe out there.