Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2016, 03:39 PM   #1

Junk regulator

From day one my small Dometic fridge has never cooled as well as I thought it should. So did the usual things like stuff more insulation around it, seal it off from the backside with foil tape, added a fan, etc.
Each item seemed to help out the electric side but the propane operation would never be as good.
So after it lost nearly 20 degrees coming home in an hour and a half last trip I was ready to rip it out. And yes it was lit when we left.
Started searching the web and everything all pointed to either the orifice or the gas pressure. Well it had a nice blue flame. So I rigged up a manometer from instuction I found online and checked the pressure.
THREE INCHES WATER COLUMN! How was anything working on propane?
Replaced the regulator and problem solved. Fridge was at 25 degrees!
It's never been that cold. Ever.
I've been cussing the wrong appliance all along.
Two and a half seasons and the regulator has apparently been slowly crapping out from the day we pulled it off the lot.
So to all the folks with Dometics that don't cool worth a crap on propane you just might want to check your gas pressure or have it checked if you're nervous about fooling with it.
Old 09-05-2016, 12:23 PM   #2
Site Team

Good post. Thanks a lot for posting it. We're not having a problem with the gas appliances, but I've been tempted to check the gas pressure anyway, and after this post I'm even more strongly inclined to check it.
Old 09-05-2016, 08:29 PM   #3

Thanks for posting this, yours sounds exactly like the one we have. I have also done all the things you had, insulating, taping and fans. Yet the gas will not cool the frig, 20 degree + increase in temp when traveling. I tested and exhausted every avenue trouble shooting this thing and the last thing on my list is to test the gas pressure as soon as I can get my hands on a manometer. Hope to be a lucky as you were.
Old 09-05-2016, 08:43 PM   #4

Good catch. I had a gas grill regulator that was putting out too high a pressure and the grille ran like it was on high when it was set on low. On high, it cold sear a steak in a minute.

Always wise to check the basics first.

BTW, easy to make a DIY manometer...............

http://www.leapsecond.com/pages/manometer/

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 08:03 PM   #5

Checked the pressure on ours today and it was at 7" at the test port of the burner. Swapped in another regulator and I cannot see any difference in the burner flame. I will see what the temps look like in the morning. Of course like the idiot I am I removed everything from the test port before changin the regulator so I don't know what pressure it is passing.
Old 09-11-2016, 03:31 PM   #6

Even with mine going from 3 to 11 there wasnt a lot of difference in how the flame looked. To be honest I thought it would more visible. We just got back from a week and the fridge performed perfectly on propane with over 4 hours on the road. It has never worked this well.
Old 09-11-2016, 06:49 PM   #7

Very interesting. Was there any issue with stove or WH with the low pressure? I just changed my regulator today due to noise- pinging & buzzing loudly. The regulator is adjustable and I would like my bbq to have a little more juice as the lightest breeze will blow it out when on medium or lower. I am just curious if more pressure will negatively effect other items.

2014 Evo 2850 "Woodstock"
2011 Toyota Tundra "Clifford"

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 06:59 PM   #8

So, like where did you find the instructions for the manometer?
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 07:09 PM   #9

Follow the link in post #4, it worked for me.
Old 09-11-2016, 07:21 PM   #10

Had the same problem a couple of years ago. The slight difference in pressure is hard to notice, especially if you only occasionally use the camper.
pjnlorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 08:19 PM   #11

Well using an old single stage regulator the frig is staying between 32 and 39 degrees. Of course the outdoor temps have not been above the mid 80's so I don't feel it is has had a good test yet. But it does look promising and I will be getting a new 2 stage regulator to put on.
Old 09-13-2016, 11:26 AM   #12
Old Enough to Know Better

Fyi
The place to test pressure is ahead of the control first, then check after at the test plug on the burner/control. That way you can rule out a control internal fault. Ex 11" at inlet but 7" at burner is probably a flaky control.
gasman6674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 07:30 PM   #13

Put a new regulator on today and when I removed the old one it dumped quite a bit of oil from the output side. Anyway I took the old one, made up connections to my compressor and managed to adjust it to 11" output.