Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2018, 06:45 PM   #1

Larger propane tank ?

New Forest River Forrester MB owner here. The propane tank is small, and it will only run the generator for approximately 12 hours. Is it possible to install a larger tank ? Thank you.
Tom Filieo, K1CAP/4
CAPHOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 07:14 PM   #2

Yes if all the equiptment reaches the taller tanks. I was told by the dealer that the only reason they put just the 20lb tanks on is that its way easier the just switch them out at any store or your grille tank ,etc,,etc. A 30 or bigger tank needs to be removed and filled somewhere. I keep 20lb tanks around for spares.
Lee Pedrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 07:21 AM   #3

I should have mentioned that my Forest River Forrester is a motorhome with a built-in propane tank. It looks like there's extra space in the propane compartment for a larger tank.
Thanks
Old 10-16-2018, 07:40 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Pedrick View Post
Yes if all the equiptment reaches the taller tanks. I was told by the dealer that the only reason they put just the 20lb tanks on is that its way easier the just switch them out at any store or your grille tank ,etc,,etc. A 30 or bigger tank needs to be removed and filled somewhere. I keep 20lb tanks around for spares.

He's got an ASME tank- you're talking cylinders (DOT).
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 07:54 AM   #5
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Do you have an outside propane quick-connect for a grill?

If so, there are several folks who've tapped into that port with a larger tank (and using a regulator since it is LOW pressure at the quick-connect) to increase their propane supply.

I believe the Dynamax folks do this very thing at the factory to check the propane system without having to fill the on-board tank.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 06:05 PM   #6

Do you know how big the existing tank is? I think the standard is something like 35 lb.
markb422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 06:23 PM   #7

I filled it when it almost empty, and it took 10 gallons.
Old 10-16-2018, 06:40 PM   #8

I think 10 gallons would be as big as they get. I think USDOT regulates the size. 10 gallons would equal out to about 40lbs. I know a 20lb portable tank is equal to 5 gallons. I know there is a way to connect a portable to your existing system called stay extender or something like that. I know there is a on-board Onan generator that runs on diesel.
markb422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 08:57 PM   #9

Larger ASME propane tanks are available but expensive. You could look at what's available and measure your frame to see if the tank brackets will fit on your frame. You may have to drill new holes for the tank brackets. You cannot move brackets on the tank.

Unless you need the propane while driving, a simpler solution would be to get an Extend-a-Stay system, or other brand, and use a grill gas tank.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane, tank