Old 07-07-2015, 02:04 PM   #31

Seems there is a lot of assumptions here. To bad about the trailer, but that can be replaced. Who knows if any mods were done to the propane lines, and if they where done correctly. It is perfectly safe to travel with your refer on IMO. Furnace no, refer yes.

Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 02:08 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappcam View Post
Wow. Pull that "fact" out of a hat? That is clearly false.
X2

Old 07-07-2015, 02:17 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
Seems there is a lot of assumptions here. To bad about the trailer, but that can be replaced. Who knows if any mods were done to the propane lines, and if they where done correctly. It is perfectly safe to travel with your refer on IMO. Furnace no, refer yes.
X2

Done this since 1965, Refrigerator on in fact had propane only fridge in my 1982 Corsair. Electric burned out.
Old 07-07-2015, 04:24 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
granted..a lot of assumptions..some even stacked on top of other assumptions. I like educated conjecture..sounds better... but that still falls under assumption I guess. I think the odds are better that a recall was missed than a modified lp line. but, if you call a loose connection or something improperly done a modification as well, then odds swing the other way maybe. maybe more likelihood than a missed recall. dometic and norcold both got on this recall pretty hard. maybe the stats are pretty high on these refer fires. curious..why do you deem the furnace unsafe for travel??
Old 07-07-2015, 05:49 PM   #35

Crockett, I personally consider the difference between a burner that is subject to roll out compared to a coil being lit being more dangerous. Let alone the cycle of a furnace with igniting when you could very well have a cross wind reducing the correct combustion air needed for a Safe Flame without getting delayed ignition or reduced exhaust. Just my opinion. Dealing with propane furnaces for 20 years, I just think it is not worth the chance. There is no real burner in-shot or ribbon type in a Refer. We will never know if a recall was missed being it doesn't state the year of the unit. But I have seen many propane line cut and added on to. I guess you can call that conjunction also.
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 06:00 PM   #36
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crockett View Post
I have done a couple propane conversions. both fuels have their issues. if you have a gas tank impacted in an accident, you got a bad situation. the propane line to the converter under the hood is liquid, braided steel yet rubber, and under full tank pressure. that gets ruptured or burns in an accident, you have a bad situation as well. what Im trying to focus on here is a non-accident from a collision stand point. it seems that maybe this situation is played out due to its failure to gain traction on the boards. the concept is still here though for those who believe it makes sense. I would energize from a circuit other than the refer and use high temp wire. should get you a couple minute head start. I actually thought turbs and coot might be in a foot race to build the first one...silly me
Probably would if I thought it was worth the effort. I just don't see the need or alarm being generated here. I will continue to travel with the propane and the refrigerator on.
Old 07-07-2015, 06:20 PM   #37
Georgia Frog Rally 2018

I feel the same way. I have traveled in my RVs for 30 years always with the refrig on gas during travel. Will continue to do so. Later RJD
2015 Chevy 2500 6.0 4:10 gearing.
Days camped in 2016 58
Days camped so far 2017 62
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 07:48 PM   #38

thanks guys..appreciate the feedback. Of course, the alarm would have no benefit while traveling unless the coach was occupied, otherwise just while occupied stationary. The benefit hopefully would be a few minute advance warning over what a smoke alarm or your senses might give.
Old 07-07-2015, 08:27 PM   #39

Here's my .05, due to inflation.

We have never and will never travel with the gas turned on(unless we forget).

At least the day before a trip, I turn the frig on to the coldest setting using AC.

Only put already cold items in. And only the things we might have to have.

We go to the local grocery when we arrive at the destination(unless it is in a remote area) and buy all that we will need. Cold items too. This saves a (little) on the weight and having to keep it cool.

I fill up the ice bucket before we leave and the ice is hardly melted when we arrive.

We don't open the door while we are in route and have gone 11 hours before and things are as cold as before.

If you have ever traveled in the south, especially south MS, you know it can get real hot.

Also, before we break camp and travel; I'll have the BOSS light the stove and I'll make sure the gas bottles are turned off.

These are just some things we do, and it works for us.

In other words, less chance of anything going !!!!
Nights camped 2016 = 25
Nights camped 2017 = 13
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 08:54 PM   #40

I'm in my 4th TT since the early 1970s and have always run with the frig on propane. It was "designed" to travel while on. Never heard of anyone having a problem from a frig being on except being fined for going through the Mobile AL Tunnel with the frig on.
I worry a great deal more about the cars coming at me at 70 mph and only separated by a paint stripe on the ground.
I say if it makes you feel all fuzzy inside to turn it off, then do so.

Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane, tank, valve