Old 03-10-2014, 11:26 AM   #1
Fulltime family RVer

Locking propane

I recall a discussion in a Sabre (I think) thread where someone wanted the ability to lock their propane tanks to ward off theft. As I was in my camper the other day pulling both tanks to fill them - I realized that the metal "seat belts" that go around the tanks are lockable. (In an - to keep the honest honest kind of way; the seat belt itself is awfully thin).

Anyway, I took a picture and was curious how common this is for those with propane in compartments? And, is there any fire-related danger to locking these?

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1394465170.294873.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	47471Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1394465184.774163.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	47472

Old 03-10-2014, 01:31 PM   #2

We're on a seasonal site and I do put a padlock on both for the winter. With the LP shortage I figure any way to slow down a potential thief was good. I do take the locks off during the season.

Old 03-10-2014, 01:45 PM   #3
Mod free 5er

Supposedly it's against some regulation, but I put the barrel key locks on the doors.
Old 03-10-2014, 01:47 PM   #4
Camper Less Camping

I have padlocks on both tanks and never unlock until it's time to refill...
Old 03-10-2014, 01:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I recall a discussion in a Sabre (I think) thread where someone wanted the ability to lock their propane tanks to ward off theft. As I was in my camper the other day pulling both tanks to fill them - I realized that the metal "seat belts" that go around the tanks are lockable. (In an - to keep the honest honest kind of way; the seat belt itself is awfully thin).

Anyway, I took a picture and was curious how common this is for those with propane in compartments? And, is there any fire-related danger to locking these?

Attachment 47471Attachment 47472
If some a-- wants your tank that strap will not help, they will just cut the ban. If your in an area like that I would worry more about some one opening my storage area or popping my lock to get inside. what is the cost of a new tank $45.00 bucks or so. Your not going to stop a thief maybe a kid but not a thief. If I had to worry about that I would find a new park.
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 01:59 PM   #6

In our present 5er, the tanks aren't held in with the "belt". They have the threaded post between the tanks and a handle tightens the cross piece down onto the top of the tanks. The regulator is also on that post. I'd have to use a chain and lock to keep them theft proof. As for fire risk, I am a retired Firefighter, and if they catch fire and you don't have an extinguisher, maybe 2 or 3 (because you don't take a knife to a gun fight) when and if there was a fire and I mean immediately, more than likely you aren't going to do anything but get everybody out of the trailer and get far away, call 911 and call your insurance company after the fire is out. Let the people trained to put the wet stuff on the hot stuff do their job. JMHO and stay safe.
Old 03-10-2014, 02:04 PM   #7
Fulltime family RVer

Pipeman, you're right- I also have the threaded post holding the top of the propane tank securely. The picture is too dark to see it and I failed to mention it above. I was more just thinking about the seat belt and lock when I took the pics.
Old 03-10-2014, 02:10 PM   #8
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Supposedly it's against some regulation, but I put the barrel key locks on the doors.
I can't quote the regulation that says you can't lock the propane compartment doors (if there is one), but I have never seen locks on propane compartment doors. I'm guessing having quick access to the bottles if there's an emergency would be the reason for not locking them.

YMMV
Old 03-10-2014, 02:24 PM   #9

If you have ever had to fight a propane fire then you know that there are a miriad of things that can happen. Having the compartment door locked will just add to the problem and probably make the people whose job it is to extinguish fires very mad at you and could lead to a fine because there is a DOT regulation saying no locks on propane tank compartments. "Propane tanks and the shut off valves for them must be in an unlocked compartment or accessible at all times. That is why all RVs with chassis mount tanks have them in an unlocked compartment or at least the shut off valve is accessible without a key. And RV's with 20 or 30 lb propane bottles must be in an unlockable compartment. Tongue mounted propane bottles must also have easy access to the shut out valves." Your insurance company will probably negate your coverage.
Old 03-10-2014, 02:31 PM   #10
Fulltime family RVer

Pipeman, is it acceptable to lock the propane bottles themselves in the manner shown in my first post (so long as the compartment itself is unlocked)?

Tags
propane