Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2014, 02:29 PM   #1

LP vs Propane

Ok, don't flame me too bad. I tried searching google and here on the forum in the general discussion and general tech and repair section, a lot of threads were returned but I didn't see one specifically for what I'm wondering.

I use LP gas at home for my furnace. Can that be used as a supply for my TT furnace, range and water heater?

Is there a sticky somewhere here that denotes the differences between the two?

I do know that natural and LP do not contain the same energy per ft3.
53jimc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 02:44 PM   #2

They are the same thing, so I don't why not keeping in mind regulated pressures feeding your appliance.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 02:55 PM   #3

Same difference. The Brits say petrol, we say gasoline . The official term is 'Liquefied Petroleum Gas', if you're bored there is the explanation on Wikipedia Liquefied petroleum gas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 03:27 PM   #4
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53jimc View Post
Ok, don't flame me too bad. I tried searching google and here on the forum in the general discussion and general tech and repair section, a lot of threads were returned but I didn't see one specifically for what I'm wondering.

I use LP gas at home for my furnace. Can that be used as a supply for my TT furnace, range and water heater?

Is there a sticky somewhere here that denotes the differences between the two?

I do know that natural and LP do not contain the same energy per ft3.
LP denotes Liquefied Petroleum which includes Propane and Butane. Butane has a higher vaporization temperature and is not used up north where the temps are much lower. Propane has a much lower vaporization temp and is used in the north and is more generally used for heating, cooking, etc. Your LP you use at home is what is generally used in rvs.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:01 PM   #5

Thanks all. Googling it wasn't so clear.
So, potentially I could use my big tank to fill my small tanks.... Hmmmm need adapters, scales....
Old 07-22-2014, 10:07 PM   #6

Quote:
Thanks all. Googling it wasn't so clear.
So, potentially I could use my big tank to fill my small tanks.... Hmmmm need adapters, scales....
Pssst, and probably a license and ..., it might be illegal where you are or the bulk dealer might remove your tank?
Don't speak out loud what you're thinking, but you're on the right track .
Old 07-22-2014, 10:18 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
LP denotes Liquefied Petroleum which includes Propane and Butane. Butane has a higher vaporization temperature and is not used up north where the temps are much lower. Propane has a much lower vaporization temp and is used in the north and is more generally used for heating, cooking, etc. Your LP you use at home is what is generally used in rvs.
You are 100% correct but Butane is the fuel used in cigarette lighters and the higher vaporization temp. is the reason why a winter emergency kit should include matches and not a lighter, it wouldn't do any good in 40 below weather.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:29 PM   #8

Camping World sells a "refill propane adapter" that you can use to refill the little 1# bottles from a 20# cylinder. It involves freezing the little bottle, then attaching it to the 20# one, turning it upside down, and opening the valve on the 20. Also makes it against federal law to transport the small cylinder afterwards, although I doubt they'd be setting up any roadblocks for you.

Not sure how you'd fill anything larger (like the 20 or 30# tanks) from a bigger one. Beyond my skill level...
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 11:01 PM   #9

To fill your larger tanks (20's and up) you have to have a "wet" line installed on the bigger tank. If you were to try to fill it from the top of the bigger tank all you would get would be the gas not the liquid. It stays liquid under pressure that's why they say to never fill a tank above 80%. It leaves room for the gas expansion! You will have to get with the supplier of the bigger tank to see if they can install a wet line or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
turnerpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 07:09 AM   #10

Good discussion, thanks everyone.
I'm betting my gas company would not install a wet line, but I'm sure they'd fill my tanks when they come out to fill the big one.
I need to find a suitable place and get them filled now anyway. I didn't realize my fridge was on auto so it ate my gas. Newbie mistake,lol.
Old 07-23-2014, 07:12 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypressloser View Post
Pssst, and probably a license and ..., it might be illegal where you are or the bulk dealer might remove your tank?
Don't speak out loud what you're thinking, but you're on the right track .
Lol, I did say potentially...
Old 07-23-2014, 07:17 AM   #12

I leave my fridge setting on auto. When pluged into shore power it auto switches to electric. I use the gas only setting when I am plugged in and want the fridge to cool faster.Does yours not operate the same way?
Airlift system/on board compressor

speedcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 07:43 AM   #13
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Good discussion, thanks everyone.
I'm betting my gas company would not install a wet line, but I'm sure they'd fill my tanks when they come out to fill the big one.
I need to find a suitable place and get them filled now anyway. I didn't realize my fridge was on auto so it ate my gas. Newbie mistake,lol.
I would suspect a leak drained your tank unless you left the fridge on for months. They use very little propane and the burner only comes on for a short time every 2 -3hrs or so if the fridge is not opened.
Old 07-23-2014, 07:49 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
I would suspect a leak drained your tank unless you left the fridge on for months. They use very little propane and the burner only comes on for a short time every 2 -3hrs or so if the fridge is not opened.
Yeah, I'm not too familiar with the operation of this fridge... yet. Been traveling a lot, but not in the TT, unfortunately. Definitely need to get up to speed on all this.

Dude I bought it from said it had a tank and a half, but when I checked the other day, both showed empty. Oh well.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:19 AM   #15
Old Enough to Know Better

Ok let me chime in here on the safety aspect of gravity filling your bottles from a bigger tank. To fill a trailer bottle or forklift bottle from a bulk tank without a pump you need a "wet line" as stated above. That consists of a Liquid check lock adaptor, a valve and relief valve, hose, hose end valve and necessary connection to connect to tank being filled. (avg retail $250) To fill the tank you must reduce the pressure by opening the bleeder (aka spitter) on the valve. Once pressure is reduced liquid will flow BUT while you are doing this propane vapor is collecting around your ankles and or any low spot (propane is heavier than air) in the vicinity. Since the normal consumer bulk tank is anywhere from 10 feet away to right up against the house(depending on size) this creates a very hazardous environment. Let alone the chance for a freeze burn from splash. Be safe let a professional fill it.
PS It is ILLEAGAL and very unsafe to refill 14oz and 1# DISPOSABLE bottles they are a one time use cylinder. You assume all liability if you do this.
gasman6674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 08:26 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman6674 View Post
Ok let me chime in here on the safety aspect of gravity filling your bottles from a bigger tank. To fill a trailer bottle or forklift bottle from a bulk tank without a pump you need a "wet line" as stated above. That consists of a Liquid check lock adaptor, a valve and relief valve, hose, hose end valve and necessary connection to connect to tank being filled. (avg retail $250) To fill the tank you must reduce the pressure by opening the bleeder (aka spitter) on the valve. Once pressure is reduced liquid will flow BUT while you are doing this propane vapor is collecting around your ankles and or any low spot (propane is heavier than air) in the vicinity. Since the normal consumer bulk tank is anywhere from 10 feet away to right up against the house(depending on size) this creates a very hazardous environment. Let alone the chance for a freeze burn from splash. Be safe let a professional fill it.
PS It is ILLEAGAL and very unsafe to refill 14oz and 1# DISPOSABLE bottles they are a one time use cylinder. You assume all liability if you do this.
Good info, thanks.

No, I do not refill the small bottles, never have, don't want that risk.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:28 AM   #17

I agree with OC. Refrigerators use very little gas. I am more suspect of bad info from the seller or a small leak in the tank system.

Also, when I stop at Flying J on my way to Florida for my annual propane refill I also top up my little 5lb grill tank. When they do that they change adapters from what they used on the Motorhome 100lb tank to fill the little one. Just FYI...

Bill

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 09:20 AM   #18

Send a message via AIM to B and B
I would advise unless you are Hank Hill or licences to do so not to fill your own tanks.

This was many city blocks in Toronto after a worker who died transferring propane between two trucks. The place is out of business and lawsuits underway. This change propane filling and storage standards in Ontario. I use Costco for $16- $18 a 30 lb is cheap here in Canada.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 09:59 AM   #19

Propane fill

Maybe not caught in the replies, but my neighbor had the Gas Company install a pump on his very large bulk tank that was for the house. I don't know what they charged him, but we both had motorhomes and he would fill mine for practically nothing. This was 20 years ago but can't see why you couldn't go that route.
leland1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 10:14 AM   #20

x's 1000 on not refilling the green 1lb tanks. I learned the hard way. Bought the adapter and was doing it fairly regularly until I had one green tank that would not seal and was letting gas escape via the valve at a high rate. I tossed it in the yard until it ran out. Threw out the adapter that day...not worth the risk. More I thought about it the more it has the potential for an explosion of the green tank should they corrode to the point of failure. When metal sheers under pressure...sparks fly and well you know how the rest of the story goes.
Nights Camped 2016: 32
ryand is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane