Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2013, 03:58 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper View Post
In the first post it states that it clicks, no fan no heat. It was working until recently. My guess is a bad spot on the motor.
I would agree but he said he is hearing the burner trying to ignite. That's not possible with out the fan running unless his sail switch is stuck open. Very unlikely. It could just be a bad thermostat not making contact even if it will click, but he said no it's trying to ignite. He can hear the furnace. Just waiting to see what he finds. 1 click it's the stat 3 clicks without a fan it's the modular board. Just guessing like everyone else. the diagram shows the path in series.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 08:21 PM   #42

Ok, I have taken the furnace out of the RV because the way this is installed you can't hardly do anything with it.
So I am looking at it but I am unclear how to test the motor, the motor turns freely.
What wires would I hook up to 12v to see if the motor will run or not and should I do it with the board in or out? I took it out.
swapplegate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 08:42 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by swapplegate View Post
Ok, I have taken the furnace out of the RV because the way this is installed you can't hardly do anything with it.
So I am looking at it but I am unclear how to test the motor, the motor turns freely.
What wires would I hook up to 12v to see if the motor will run or not and should I do it with the board in or out? I took it out.
You should see 2 wires from the motor 1 to ground might be yellow and a black or red to positive. get a battery and connect the ground to neg and the other to positive. Motor should start if it is good. You will need to cut the wires to do it. Also there is a ytube that is pretty good showing you how to do it. You can leave the board in. All you need is the 2 wires from the motor trace them out. there are only two wires that are hooked to the motor. Watch the video on the 1st page of this thread. Let me know what happens.

Old 12-09-2013, 09:21 PM   #44

I can't get the motor to do anything.
Old 12-09-2013, 09:23 PM   #45

Quote:
The wires are black and red connected them to a battery and it does nothing.
Old 12-09-2013, 09:24 PM   #46

Quote:
I assume that means that the motor is bad.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:19 PM   #47

Quote:
I assume that means that the motor is bad.
Sorry to say if you hooked the 2 wires to positive and negative the motor should start. You watched the video right? I think it bad but one more thing you can try to make sure it is not the stat. Before you buy a motor I want you to try this. I know it's a pain in the a-- but you need to make sure. Hook it all back up then remove your thermostat cover and you will see the sub base where the wires are attached . Look for rh or red that's the power wire 12v to the stat take a piece of wire and jumper it the w terminal on it, might be a white wire jumper the 2 together if the blower still will not start it's the motor. I hate to try and tell you buy a new motor until you check that but it sounds like the motor if you put 12 volts to it and it didn't start. sorry about all these steps but I can not tell I'm not there. once again let me know. Buy the way hook the 2 motor wires back up before you try that. What we are doing is by-passing the stat and putting power directly to the heater. I'll stand by if you want or let me know. If want to try that later.

Old 12-09-2013, 11:01 PM   #48
Site Team - Lou

If you put 12 volts DC to that motor, even if the wires are reversed it should run. If it did not you have a bad motor.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 11:18 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
If you put 12 volts DC to that motor, even if the wires are reversed it should run. If it did not you have a bad motor.
You are correct Herk, but just do not want to miss lead him. I say it's the motor and the click must have only been the stat and the burner not tiring to ignite. But jumping out the stat would make me more comfortable. hate to give someone bad info. Hard to tell and diagnose over the forum....

Old 12-09-2013, 11:31 PM   #50
Site Team - Lou

The click must be the thermostat relay.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 12:07 AM   #51

Thanks, I think that I will start removing the motor, and order me a new one. Any ideas as the best place to order one from?
Old 12-10-2013, 03:26 AM   #52

Quote:
Thanks, I think that I will start removing the motor, and order me a new one. Any ideas as the best place to order one from?
Go to the suburban web site. or you can try PPL in texas. google should bring up alot of places. have the model# of the furnace. just about any RV parts house should have one. Good Luck anymore problems let me know, glad to help you......

Old 12-12-2013, 11:30 AM   #53

Update on my furnace, the motor is bad, got a new one yesterday at a local RV dealership and hopefully getting it all put back together tonight. Thanks for everybody's input. it was very much appreciated and I learned alot about my furnace.
Old 12-12-2013, 11:34 AM   #54

Quote:
Update on my furnace, the motor is bad, got a new one yesterday at a local RV dealership and hopefully getting it all put back together tonight. Thanks for everybody's input. it was very much appreciated and I learned alot about my furnace.
Post back when you get it put together and working.
Old 12-12-2013, 11:38 AM   #55

ok
Old 12-14-2013, 04:52 PM   #56

Well I just got my furnace put back together and back in the RV, it is heating really great although I am noticing a little extra vibration now. Thinking that maybe the fans are a little out of balance??
I am wondering if it will smooth out after being used for a while??
Old 12-14-2013, 04:57 PM   #57
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Well I just got my furnace put back together and back in the RV, it is heating really great although I am noticing a little extra vibration now. Thinking that maybe the fans are a little out of balance??
I am wondering if it will smooth out after being used for a while??
Running it will not smooth it out. One of the balance clips might have moved or one fan wheel might have moved. It will have to be removed and inspected to find the cause of the unbalance condition.
Old 12-14-2013, 05:09 PM   #58

You will need to get it done before the bearings go.
Old 12-14-2013, 05:56 PM   #59

Bummer I was thinking that, probably need to take it back out and get a new squirrel cage fan.
Old 12-14-2013, 06:08 PM   #60

Quote:
Bummer I was thinking that, probably need to take it back out and get a new squirrel cage fan.
Perhaps.
Try this first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Running it will not smooth it out. [b\One of the balance clips might have moved or one fan wheel might have moved.[/b] It will have to be removed and inspected to find the cause of the unbalance condition.

Tags
furnace