Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2013, 02:26 PM   #1

My furnace just clicks

Hello, I have a 40' Forest River Cardinal Fifth Wheel there are a lot of posts on here about furnaces but none quite answer my question. My family have been living in our RV now for a few months, and everything has been pretty good. We are in Oklahoma and it is starting to get cold, our furnace has been working great until now all of a sudden it just quit working, I can here it click to try do something but nothing at all happens, no fan it just clicks. I have checked the regular things like Propane, fuse, etc. I even shut all the power down including the battery thinking that maybe it would reset or something. I was wondering if anyone new what for sure was wrong with it????
swapplegate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 08:29 PM   #2

Perhaps the following troubleshooting guide will help. If your furnace was working and now is not, I would make sure it was getting gas. Then check for obstructions or dirt on the burner or electrodes. Since you are hearing clicking sounds, it sounds like you are getting ignition. However, don't assume anything.
Marksrv.com rv furnace troubleshooting

2012 Cedar Creek 36CKTS Touring Edition
2015 Ford F-350 CC DRW Lariat
Joe_GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 08:38 PM   #3

Sounds as if you have a fan problem. Can you access the fan? If you can try turning the fan 1/4 turn. After moving the fan try starting furnace again. If the furnace starts you have a dead spot of the fan motor. If you cannot access the fan motor you could try blowing compressed air into the furnace exhaust port. This might allow the fan to move from the dead spot if that is the problem.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 08:43 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

If you don't have the fan running, nothing will happen. You may have to access the furnace fan to see if it's free to turn. If it is, you could then see if 12V power is reaching the fan.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 08:44 PM   #5

A few reports of control boards going bad lately on other RV forums. Of those that had this issue, non of them were using a surge protector. HINT!

Assuming you have a Suburban brand, this is a good video to help you troubleshoot.

For replacement control board, Look up Ignitor Board Index page
SammySabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 09:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper View Post
Sounds as if you have a fan problem. Can you access the fan? If you can try turning the fan 1/4 turn. After moving the fan try starting furnace again. If the furnace starts you have a dead spot of the fan motor. If you cannot access the fan motor you could try blowing compressed air into the furnace exhaust port. This might allow the fan to move from the dead spot if that is the problem.
Ok, I think that I will try that tomorrow, and yes my fan is not accessible so I will blow in the furnace to make the fan move and try again. I do think that it is odd though that it was working fine and the next day it just quit.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:12 PM   #7

Thanks for all the info. I will start trouble shooting tomorrow and let you know if I find out what is wrong.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:33 PM   #8
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by swapplegate View Post
Ok, I think that I will try that tomorrow, and yes my fan is not accessible so I will blow in the furnace to make the fan move and try again. I do think that it is odd though that it was working fine and the next day it just quit.
Hate to throw cold water on this, but the blower fan cannot be moved by air being blown into the exhaust or inlet. These are ducted into the combustion chamber, not the heating chamber that the blower fan is connected to.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:45 PM   #9

Oh, ok looks like I am just going to have to pull they but out probably
Old 12-06-2013, 09:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by swapplegate View Post
Oh, ok looks like I am just going to have to pull they but out probably
Pull the unit out I mean.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:02 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabresam1234 View Post
A few reports of control boards going bad lately on other RV forums. Of those that had this issue, non of them were using a surge protector. HINT!

Assuming you have a Suburban brand, this is a good video to help you troubleshoot.

For replacement control board, Look up Ignitor Board Index page
I have also read a few of those posts.
I have already had to change the board for my refrigerator, it works great now, maybe the furnace will need a new dinosaur board also.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:15 PM   #12
Love My Sunseeker

This is an off the wall solution but it happened in the first RV I ever owned, a 24 foot Fleetwood Jamboree.

I had that exact thing happen in that Fleetwood. Three times. Each time, the dealer said, "Loose wire." I finally screamed and stamped my feet and they found the cause. The issue was that there were four vents, and other RV's that size had only three. The fourth vent was causing the furnace (10 amps) to pull 12 amps, and go "poof." So, the dealer plugged one of the vents, and no problem since. Like I said, it's an off the wall solution, but use it if nothing else works.

I love my Sunseeker, when I'm on a trip I don't wanna go home!!!"

Total days camping each year: AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE!
DXSMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 10:21 PM   #13

Ok, I'll check that out too. Thanks!
Old 12-06-2013, 10:36 PM   #14
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXSMac View Post
This is an off the wall solution but it happened in the first RV I ever owned, a 24 foot Fleetwood Jamboree.

I had that exact thing happen in that Fleetwood. Three times. Each time, the dealer said, "Loose wire." I finally screamed and stamped my feet and they found the cause. The issue was that there were four vents, and other RV's that size had only three. The fourth vent was causing the furnace (10 amps) to pull 12 amps, and go "poof." So, the dealer plugged one of the vents, and no problem since. Like I said, it's an off the wall solution, but use it if nothing else works.
I'm not sure I understand how an "extra" vent causes blower motor strain to blow fuses.

Closing a vent "off" should do that not having to many.

:confused"

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 10:39 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Hate to throw cold water on this, but the blower fan cannot be moved by air being blown into the exhaust or inlet. These are ducted into the combustion chamber, not the heating chamber that the blower fan is connected to.
Aren't they separate impellers on a common shaft...why wouldn't blowing air into the intake or exhaust port not turn the common shaft?

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 11:28 PM   #16
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post
Aren't they separate impellers on a common shaft...why wouldn't blowing air into the intake or exhaust port not turn the common shaft?

Dave
After looking at the manual, I stand corrected Dave, sorry about that.
Old 12-06-2013, 11:32 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXSMac

It could make sense. The more fluid a blower or pump is asked to deliver, the more horsepower thus more current is consumed. Not blocking a vent but a port on the blower housing, esp with no connection.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 11:42 PM   #18
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post

It could make sense. The more fluid a blower or pump is asked to deliver, the more horsepower thus more current is consumed. Not blocking a vent but a port on the blower housing, esp with no connection.
I guess I'm thinking about it differently.

Less resistance more vents.
More resistance less vents.

Trying blowing air through one straw then try blowing air through four straws which is easier?

Thoughts?

What say you glen gjurizick "lol"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 09:42 AM   #19

It sounds to me that your board is the problem. When your stat turns on by temp. the blower has to start first, once the blower starts it opens your sail switch then once that is proven it will allow you ignitor to light. That's a safety built in. In order for you to have what you described I would say that you really have 2 problems. Being I said that it is very possible that your fan center is out (or as some call it your board). I would not close any registers as suggested being if you do the correct cfm will not be exhausted and cause limit problems.(over heating) Check to see if you have 12v at the modular should be red going in and a red going out to the blower. If you have your book yet(Suburban)on it check figure#5 0n page #5 if you do it's the blower more then likely. If you do not have your book here it is
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fan motor.jpg
Views:	531
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	43533  

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 09:54 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
I'm not sure I understand how an "extra" vent causes blower motor strain to blow fuses. Closing a vent "off" should do that not having to many. :confused" Turbs
If a squirrel cage blower "over RMS's" at no load situation it will over amp a little....or at least an AC current one will. I would think brushless DC motors would not experience this because of voltage variations.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace