Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2013, 06:01 PM   #1

Need Advice Re: Propane Reg.- Auto Switch-over.

I Have a 2013 365 SAQ Sandpiper, W/5500 Onan/Cummins (LP) Generator.
I am Having a Problem With the Auto Change-Over I am trying to Fix. I can start, and run the generator on the "Off-Door-Side" (Driver's) Tank, with Both Tanks open, I create a Change-over situation by closing the Hand Valve on the Off Door Side Tank, and the Generator Dies. Upon Trying to Restart, (After Priming) The Generator "Tries" to start, but acts like it is not getting enough fuel. Thir raises two Questions, On the Door-Side there is what appears to be a "Pressure Regulator" in the Feed Line (hose) to the other side. My Farm Boy Logic tells me that if that Regulator is bad, The Generator cannot Recieve enough fuel to start. This Trailer was ordrerd with Gen.-Prep. from the factory. I had the unit into the dealer last fall, However, "They Couldn't Make it Fail", So now the Unit is out of Factory Warranty, and depending on the Problem, my Ext. Warranty "May" Cover it. Any Input Will Be Appreciated. Thanks, J L Kranz Mason, MI
Pchop365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:18 PM   #2
H2oski

? After closing the off door side tank, will the stove light? If so the regulator may not be bad. I'm not familiar with the generator installation, but is it installed to only run off 1 tank?
(LA) Lower Alabama
h20ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:26 PM   #3
Site Team - Lou

On the lines going INTO the switch over regulator, there is a one way check valve on each. A new switch over regulator will come with new check valves. (bronze fittings in the photo).

It is possible to get "bad propane" just like getting a tank of "bad gas."

The transfer pump at the propane service location can become contaminated and you can get oil and other crud in your tank which can become deposited in that check valve.

More likely, is a bad pigtail valve on the side that won't feed and they are much easier (and cheaper) to change.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Propane Pigtail 2.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	34121  
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Marshal Auto Changover Regulators Pamplet.PDF (4.79 MB, 51 views)
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:42 PM   #4

Need Advice Re: AutoSwitch-over

Thanks, I Will Check all of the Suggestions, and let you know. Thanx, JLK
Old 07-02-2013, 06:24 PM   #5

Thanks For the Help, I Took-off the "Pig-tail", and the Pressure Regulator, Tried each Piece Indivually, and then re-assembled the Propane Lines'(hoses) and was able to start, and run the Generator with the Off-Door-Side completely un hooked, and the Green Dot on the regulator was positioned to the off-door side tank. The only thing I can Figure is I was not opening the valves slow enough. Thanks again, JLK