Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2013, 05:26 PM   #1
rip

New Rusty Propane Pipes

What do you guys use, if anything, on the rusty propane pipes on your Forest River trailers? The ones, on my new 2013 Rockwood 2809W I just ordered, may just look bad and not be anything to worry about.

Do you paint them or do they stand up to the rusty conditions under our trailers with any concerns? I haven't found any threads where you talk about how you may do any improvements, or I may have missed them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2809rust1.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	24523   Click image for larger version

Name:	2809rust2.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	24524  
+ 2002 Ford F-250 7.3L 4X4
rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:54 PM   #2

Nothing but surface oxidation. Trl will fall apart around you before you have an issue with the propane pipes.

2012 Winnebago "Journey To Insanity" 40U
2008 Dakota Sport 4x4
2004 Subaru Baja - DW's
2006 Honda Shadow Aero - TOAD for now.
F.R.O.G. member
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:43 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I painted mine with black tremclad paint for appearance sake only.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:55 PM   #4

That is black iron and that is what it does, that is nothing compared to what I see in buildings, the older the buildings the worst it is...and FYI the first place you will get a leak is anywhere where there is a fitting because once it is threaded the thickness of the pipe is reduced and this area will break down and leak faster, and all you need to check for leaks is a small amount of soap and water and spray it on the fittings if it bubbles you have a leak.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:03 PM   #5
rip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post
I painted mine with black tremclad paint for appearance sake only. Dave
Thanks, Dave. Did you buy a spray can or brush it on?

Did not know about tremclad, did web search, read a little, located it at Home Depot, sounds like the thing to do for cosmetic appearance.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:14 PM   #6

I guess the same holds true for the propane tank? My first class C was about 10 years old and the tank completely rusted. I just traded in my 2 year old Sunseeker 2300 and the propane tank already showed signs of rust beginning. Any way to keep the tank looking new and white as when they're new?
KQ2N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:19 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rip View Post
Did not know about tremclad, did web search, read a little, located it at Home Depot, sounds like the thing to do for cosmetic appearance.
I just wire brushed the loose scale off and applied the black Tremclad paint with a brush. I've used the same paint for touch-ups on the frame, axles, pinbox and bumper.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:36 PM   #8
rip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post
I just wire brushed the loose scale off and applied the black Tremclad paint with a brush. I've used the same paint for touch-ups on the frame, axles, pinbox and bumper. Dave
As I crawled around under my new trailer and observed rust already forming here and there, hmmm-m-m-m everywhere, I'm investing in a can of that paint at Home Depot tomorrow.

Someday I may share a story with the forum about a little bit of rust and my boat trailer. It will explain my rust paranoia.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:39 PM   #9

I am an Officer in Charge of a Coast Guard ship built in 1961. Who wants to share rust stories?
cstover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:34 PM   #10
rip

Dang, Tremclad only available in Canada. Didn't seem to find same Rustoleum paint product in USA. Figures. Maybe an EPA thing. Grumble.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:54 AM   #11

Rust issues

I've used an item called Ospho, available at most Wilco-type feed stores and maybe Home Depot's. It's an acid based that encapsulates the rust then it can be painted and the rust won't keep growing. Just be careful painting it on over yourself, it can't be bad for eyes, etc. It definately worked on a Jeep I was fixing up. Kept the rust under control and allowed me to paint right over it.

Nev
Days camped 2013 = 51 (as of 26 Apr)
NevadaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:57 AM   #12

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
I had the same problem----------

RIP, you must have received your RV during the winter/ snow season. I had the same problem on my 2011 fifth wheel for I picked it up in January from RVWholsalers in Lake View Ohio. There was 6" of snow on the ground at the time I picked, the unit had been towed from the factory in Indiana
also with snow on the road. The salt that is applied to remove the snow is what is causing all the rust and deterioration.

I can see even the brass fittings are green from the salt and the screws have began to deteriorate. After returning to Florida from picking up my fifth wheel in January, I set out with a good pressure washing of all the under carriage. I even removed the wheels on each side so I could remove as much salt as possible. After the under carriage dried for a couple days.
As mentioned in a early post as using A chemical by the name OSPHO to treat the rusty areas. I used a same chemical by another name called "PREP & TECH" by KLEAN STRIP (phosphoric chemical) from Lowe's or Home Depot. It is the same chemical by the name of OSPHO. Just a little cheaper. I applied the chemical with a pump up sprayer and a quart plastic spray bottle along with a brush. This is a sort of a time consuming job, but it works. Follow the directions on the chemical container. It states it removes rust from metal surfaces & inhibits flash rusting. It also insures good paint adhesion. Again just follow the directions about application. I used a good black paint by RUST-O-LIEUM to paint all the surfaces. I purchased new screws, replaced all the rusty screws (lots of them). On the box tube of the frame near the wheels, I sprayed foam (INSULATION TYPE) into the ends of the open box framing. After drying of the foam, I used a hack saw blade to remove the excess foam that bulges out of the box tubes (FRAME).

I spent of lot of time a my back with a mechanics creeper to accomplish the task of the work to be done. Over all about a week!
As stated by the X coast Guard fellow, he can tell you about rust. Well I can too after 28 years in the Navy on lot of old WWII type ships.

Good luck.
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:30 PM   #13

every spring I go around with a wire brush and 3-4 cans of flat rustoleum spray paint. I brush the worst off and hit it with a quick coat. I can say that it only takes an hour or so till I run out of paint. Done til next year. It's also a good time to look for frame cracks and other damage.
Old 02-20-2013, 03:36 PM   #14
daydreaming about camping

Por-15 is a true rust eliminating paint, there are other out there. My understanding is they chemically neutralize rust with high zinc content. Frankly overkill for most projects, but the end result is incredibly durable.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/b...FQ3NnAod-yUAZw

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:52 PM   #15

I also spray painted my pipes along with the frame. Just remembering my 6 days aboard a Canadian Navy frigate way back when. I spent time in the basement and then moved to the blunt end. Finally made it to the pointy end. Not the life for me. I liked my tank better....
Pipeman is offline   Reply With Quote