Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2019, 03:20 PM   #1

Newbie dual tank question.

I have a 263BH XL that has 2 15 lb tanks each connected to one regulator. The regulator doesn't have any indicator on it. There are no gauges on either anywhere. Can I just open one tank and run it until it's empty and then close it and open the other tank? Is there any reason both have to be open?

I doubt we do much cold weather camping to run the furnace. All they will run is the hot water heater occasionally so I don't expect to use a lot of propane.

Thanks.
TBarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 03:55 PM   #2

I prefer to do it exactly as you describe - one tank at a time. That way when one runs out I know to close it and open the other, then refill the empty. No surprises that way. If you open both you could run out unexpectedly. A leak would drain both tanks. For the same reason I don't like auto-switchover regulators.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 04:13 PM   #3

I also only use and open one tank at a time... The wife lets me know when the stove burners do not work.

Read up on how the duel tanks and regulator switch over works to the you will be familiar with it.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 08:44 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
I also only use and open one tank at a time... The wife lets me know when the stove burners do not work.

Read up on how the duel tanks and regulator switch over works to the you will be familiar with it.
I don't have a regulator like any of those in the video. Mine is simply a Y input/output. Both tanks are plumbed to it with one output. It has no switch or gauge in it.
Old 08-13-2019, 08:47 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
I prefer to do it exactly as you describe - one tank at a time. That way when one runs out I know to close it and open the other, then refill the empty. No surprises that way. If you open both you could run out unexpectedly. A leak would drain both tanks. For the same reason I don't like auto-switchover regulators.
Thanks Woody. That's how I'll use it. We won't do much cooking or use the furnace much. If the water heater were electric I probably wouldn't use much propane at all. I wish it was but this one is only propane.
Old 08-13-2019, 08:50 AM   #6
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Your original post is the preferred way to do it on set-ups without auto-switchover regulators. That way when you run out, you'll know to get the empty refilled.

The only reason to have both open would be if you believe the tank in use is almost empty and you didn't want to run out in the middle of the night and have to get up, go out and open the 2nd tank. (like when using the furnace)

I have a set of magnetic stickers I bought years ago that help visualize the tank fullness.

I also made a set for a friend by taking a refrigerator magnetic business card, cutting it in half, painting it white and then used permanent marker to write on them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lp magnets.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	212243  

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 08:54 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Your original post is the preferred way to do it on set-ups without auto-switchover regulators. That way when you run out, you'll know to get the empty refilled.

The only reason to have both open would be if you believe the tank in use is almost empty and you didn't want to run out in the middle of the night and have to get up, go out and open the 2nd tank. (like when using the furnace)

I have a set of magnetic stickers I bought years ago that help visualize the tank fullness.

I also made a set for a friend by taking a refrigerator magnet business card, cutting it in half, painting it white and then used permanent marker to write on them.
Good idea. I'll have to come up with something. Thanks.
Old 08-13-2019, 12:45 PM   #8

I have a Cavagna Group 52-A-890-0009 auto switching regulator. I normally open the second tank as well. I don't want to have to get up during the night to open a second tank if the first tank runs out and I am using the furnace. Also I'm often relying on the propane for refrigerator use obviously it's best not to run out of propane. The auto switching regulators are not that expensive. I think it would make a nice upgrade.
TST 507 TPMS
nutdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 04:01 PM   #9
CGK
Camping with Labs

Our TT can get pretty chilly when the temperatures drop into the 40s at night and there is a cold rain - so we use our automatic switchover regulator to keep the heater running. It has always worked fine for us. As with so many things, propane runs out at the most inopportune times. That said, if we aren't using the propane for heat, we turn both tanks off any time we leave the TT (we no longer have the electric/propane fridge, since our most recent TT came with the residential unit). Depending upon utilization, capacity, weather conditions, etc., you probably can't go wrong either way. Happy camping!
CGK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 04:12 PM   #10

Auto change-over valves are less than $50 and are DIY with a bit of LP pipe dope or tape for the threads. So much easier to let the tanks shift for themselves although I can't recall the last time mine did this even in very cold weather. I open both valves in April and just leave them open all season.

-- Chuck
Old 08-22-2019, 01:59 PM   #11

I bought 2 Flame King tanks with liquid level gauges built in. very accurate. you know exactly what you have left.
mike830 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 02:21 PM   #12

Dealers choice obviously.

I choose NOT to use my dual choice. A tank of Gas last me over a week with little furnace use. I want to know when my first tank runs out... 10 second switch... now I know i need to get a refill within a week. If I let them both run out ....OSWO.....I gotta go get a refill right NOW.... if its that cold.
gbaldwin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newbie, tank