Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2018, 10:16 AM   #1

No gas to grill connection

I have a propane outlet pipe at the rear of my Tracer TT. I cannot get any gas to flow to it. I have mounted a propane generator at the rear of my trailer, hoping to run it off the propane connection that is there. The connection was intended for a gas grill, which I never used. It has a quick connect fitting, and a shutoff valve. Does anyone have any ideas why the gas won't flow? I have gas inside the trailer to the range, etc, so the regulator is working properly.
rchbih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 10:43 AM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason

How long did you purge it?
Sometimes it takes a while.
Did you open the lever (shutoff) and connect something to it?

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=64
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 01:12 PM   #3

I purged it for 10 minutes. I didn't get any air out of it (or obviously propane). And yes, I had a gas line attached to it, and the shutoff valve was open.
Old 05-23-2018, 01:31 PM   #4

Take the fitting out of the gas line and just put it in the quick connection for L/P gas line slowly open vale should get gas if not quick connection may be bad
ShickshinnyJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 01:46 PM   #5
Pickin', Campin', Mason

I've certainly never seen one but does the line (pipe) have its own inline shut-off somewhere near the supply point?

Short of the line (pipe) not being connected or blocked, it's the only other thing I can think of.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=64
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 02:07 PM   #6

I had exactly the same problem with my gas grill connection. I traced the line all the way back to it's connection with the common line. Seems like someone had pulled the gas line for the grill out of it's storage area too hard and there was a 90 degree kink where it joined the main line from the bottles. Everything else worked, furnace, stove, water heater and outside cook top connector. Just not the BBQ line.

I ended up forming the line into a U and zip tying it so it wouldn't kink anymore. Grill works great now.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 02:09 PM   #7

Yes my R-Pod has a separate shut off right behind the quick connection
ShickshinnyJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 12:26 PM   #8

My gas line wouldn't work with a quick coupler I bought at the local gas supplier come to find out it looks the same but the end is slightly shorter and would not push the check valve in the other halve open I ended up buying a hose assembly from the RV dealer and that worked great.

2001 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3
2011 25 RL Wildcat
former fiver 1976 Fourwinds had for 35 years
onetonford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 08:02 PM   #9

Yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetonford View Post
My gas line wouldn't work with a quick coupler I bought at the local gas supplier come to find out it looks the same but the end is slightly shorter and would not push the check valve in the other halve open I ended up buying a hose assembly from the RV dealer and that worked great.
Yes! There are two different "male" quick disconnects for propane. They are very similar but they are not the same.

Scroll down to the middle of this page and look for the picture labelled "NO GOOD" and "GOOD."

Larry
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 09:01 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rchbih View Post
I purged it for 10 minutes. I didn't get any air out of it (or obviously propane). And yes, I had a gas line attached to it, and the shutoff valve was open.
It should be just like an airline. The quick connect should have a spring loaded has a ball inside. You won't get anything out unless you plug it into a grill. You can also push it in with a screwdriver. Be very careful.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 12:55 PM   #11

Well, for the benefit of anyone else wanting to do this, I finally have the correct answer. I have a Champion dual fuel generator. It cannot run on propane which comes directly from the normal regulator. You must have a pressure reducing valve between the regulator and the generator. The pressure and flow rate for the generator is very low.
Old 05-25-2018, 01:01 PM   #12

Not too surprising

Quote:
Originally Posted by rchbih View Post
Well, for the benefit of anyone else wanting to do this, I finally have the correct answer. I have a Champion dual fuel generator. It cannot run on propane which comes directly from the normal regulator. You must have a pressure reducing valve between the regulator and the generator. The pressure and flow rate for the generator is very low.
That's not too surprising. If you look closely at your RV range, it also has a secondary regulator.

Larry
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas