Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2016, 12:02 PM   #1
Senior New Member

No Propane... "safety switch?".. help please...

3 days before completing our 5000 mile trek to Acadia NP we stopped getting propane supply to the stove. Assuming out tank was empty I filled it in the nearest town but when I reconnected it I could get no gas to reach the stove. I did not try the other propane appliances. I tried replacing the dual regulator with a single one I purchased from the campsite store but still no success.
I've read on this forum about a "safety switch" which may need to be reset, but I've not been able to find it and would appreciate some advice from someone with more experience than I to help solve this problem...We have a Crusader 295
Thanks for any assistance to keep me from needing the dealer service !
ausstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 06:43 PM   #2

Propane tanks have an excess flow check valve that closes to prevent dumping a full tank in the event of a hose failure or fire. These same tanks also have a float that shuts off the flow of propane into the tank to prevent overfilling. I suggest you remove the tank you just filled and while holding it vertical, thump it smartly on the ground a few times. This will hopefully unseat a stuck float valve. When you reconnect the tank, open the outlet valve on top of the tank VERY slowly so you don't trip the excess flow valve. If neither of these 2 fixes work, see if you can temporarily borrow a tank and try that.
Old 10-11-2016, 06:53 PM   #3

With the new connections on the lp tanks you have to make sure that the connecting fitting is on tight . There is a valve that is inside of the tank fitting that has to be depressed before any propane will come out . Before retiring I ran a propane company and I had many people come in and say that the tank was no good . Be sure to open the valve very slow .
campingbaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 08:24 PM   #4
Senior New Member

Propane safety switch ?

Thanks to both of you for your responses...I'm familiar with the tank's safety valve. If I open the tank valve and loosen to flex hose fitting, gas comes out and I also get pressure in the line per the gauge. The problem is the gas does not feed the stove further down the line even when the flex hose is pressurized.
ausstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 10:09 AM   #5
Site Team

There have been reports where the gas line has gotten kinked and stopped the flow.

I'd check the rest of the appliances (furnace, water heater, fridge, etc.) and see if they're getting gas flow to them.
Old 10-12-2016, 10:23 AM   #6
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Is the stove in a slide out?
Sometimes the flexing of the supply line as the slide goes in and out can cause a kink or pinch.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 02:29 PM   #7

Could you have a propane sniffer wired to a solenoid that is not functioning? These things close to the floor have a service life of 6 years or less and will cut off your gas if they smell it..or if they die or have a bad connection.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 06:21 PM   #8
Cyber Phrenologist

Regulators will check downstream for leaks in the system. If both tanks have been removed, filled or shut off and then reinstalled, open both valves and then go have lunch.

The regulator will very slowly fill the lines. When it is satisfied there is no leak it turns on the gas and works normally. Any attempt to "bleed air out of the line" is interpreted as a leak and the process starts over again.

On my trailer it takes about 1/2 hour. But only when I have shut off both tanks.

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane, safety, switch