Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2017, 10:39 AM   #1

No propane when bottles switched

Had reg changed due to poor pressure. Do not leave both bottles on but switch manually when bottle empty. If bottle being replaced completely empty full bottle does not feed right away. Seems u have to wait a period of time before full bottle comes on stream. A bit of a pain uf in middle of cooking. Anybody????
flugelboneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 02:41 PM   #2

I leave both my bottles open so that the automatic switching takes place as designed why not do that.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 04:26 PM   #3

propane bottles

Hi Jake

I prefer to leave one bottle closed. Why? Because if they switch automatically and you run out of propane, you are hooped. At least when I manually switch to second bottle, I know then I must fill the first. I realize the system is designed for auto switch, but that's the way I have always done it. I suppose I can take ur suggestion, but when I run out of propane, I would prefer for you not to hear my response. LOL Thx anyway, for ur interest
Old 09-19-2017, 04:34 PM   #4

I agree. I just somehow can't bring myself to leave the 2nd bottle on. I have made it 17 months now and JUST LAST WEEK filled up both bottles. And that's with 90 days camping this year, and I dunno how many last year. I did get the sensor thingy to tell me how much is in each bottle, and I know which one is #1 and #2, so I monitor it enough to know.

And no, I can't explain with good logic why I don't let it auto switch! LOL

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 04:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by flugelboneman View Post
Hi Jake

I prefer to leave one bottle closed. Why? Because if they switch automatically and you run out of propane, you are hooped. At least when I manually switch to second bottle, I know then I must fill the first. I realize the system is designed for auto switch, but that's the way I have always done it. I suppose I can take ur suggestion, but when I run out of propane, I would prefer for you not to hear my response. LOL Thx anyway, for ur interest
I had a manual switch regulator and changed it to automatic changeover, then changed back to manual for the reasons you stated. With both valves open a leak could drain both tanks before I became aware.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 05:31 PM   #6
Cyber Phrenologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by flugelboneman View Post
Seems u have to wait a period of time before full bottle comes on stream. A bit of a pain uf in middle of cooking. Anybody????
This is, believe it or not, a safety feature built into the regulator. It is designed to shut of the gas if there is too much flow in the system, indicating a leak. (See the safety here?)

If you open the tanks into "empty lines" the regulator thinks you have a leak and shut off the gas, then slowly, very slowly, fills the lines to pressure. Then it will work fine. On my trailer this takes about 30 minutes.

I top off both tanks twice a year and just plan on waiting 30 minutes for the gas to come on. Some suggest opening the tank valves very slowly but that doesn't seem to help. And trying to light the stove just makes you have to wait longer!

Just give it some time and be patient.

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 06:09 PM   #7

propane bottles

Dear Radio Head

Thx so much for your knowledgeable comment. I kinda thot it might be something like that, cause, unless I totally empty one bottle it does not happen. I usually see the flame reducing on stove, know then it is time to switch and if I catch it before it runs out, all is well. The propane shut off has happened to me twice now and I realize if I just be patient and wait a few minutes, all will be well. Last time it happened, I was about to put a couple dandy pieces of steer on the Barbie, and no propane. A very disappointed spouse rushed out for Big Mac and fries. Had we waited a bit, the propane Gods would have smiled upon my steak.

Geez, what would we do without this here forum.
Old 09-20-2017, 01:14 PM   #8

A trick an older camper taught me: On the handle of each LP bottle place one green, one orange, and one red zip tie. Once you put a bottle into service remove the green zip tie. Leaving the orange and red zip ties will indicate that the bottle is in use. If, and when, a bottle is empty remove the orange zip tie. The red zip tie is a reminder that this bottle is empty and needs to be filled/replaced. Colored zip ties can be bought through Fastenal, Grainger, McMaster-Carr, eBay, and I have even seen them at Northern Tool stores.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 01:29 PM   #9

When I fill a tank, I put a piece of tape on it with the fill date. I prefer manual switching, so I run on one tank, and when it is empty, I switch to the full tank and remove the tape.
seagrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 01:38 PM   #10
Site Team

To try and address the problem you're having, try to open the valve on the closed tank V-E-R-Y slowly. That should allow the lines to pressure up without tripping the excess flow device. That way you won't have to wait an extra amount of time to get gas flow back.
Old 09-20-2017, 01:44 PM   #11
Site Team

There is a freeflow protection valve in 0the propane tank itself. If you run one tank completely empty the pressure in the lines drop considerably. When you bring on the second tank, there is a rush of propane to pressurize the lines. many times the free flow protection is activated. Eventually it will reset. If you want to continue to manually do the switch when one tank runs out, use the following procedure.

Both tank valves closed
Manually switch regulator
VERRRRY SLOWLY open the new tank just until you hear the propane flow. Let is sit as a trickle for about a minute or two until the lines are pressurized.
then open fully.
This will prevent the free flow protection from activating.

This also holds for portable appliances like stoves and grills when a tank is replaced.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 03:31 PM   #12

Propane Bottles

Dear Bama

Thx. Will try that next time, but will also try to switch bottles before I totally run out. I am quite relieved that it was not a faulty regulator or something, but just a safety feature. Really appreciate feedback from you
Old 09-21-2017, 08:20 PM   #13

I leave both bottles open, I use tank sensors on the tanks and I use the apps on my phone to check the tanks plus I cook outside with a twenty lb tank so I always have propane.
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane, switch